You have to start McCann for now

YourWhatHurts

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The Sox' 2020 adjusted payroll is $50M. The jury is out on whether fans (full/partial) will be allowed to attend games in 2021. The chance McCann gets a contract with $ above his current deal is minimal, whether here or elsewhere, even if fans are allowed to attend next season. The chance he gets $18M anywhere including here is zero.

Owners were contracting free agent spending in a normal economy, most will reduce spending even if revenues recover simply to keep the profit they didn't earn this year. 

Wait, you don't think James McCann is going to get an contract offer above $5.4 million this off season?  If you are willing to bet on that, I will take whatever amount of money you are willing to put up on that one.

54 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

The hate for Grandal here is questioning to me.  Yes, he's going to have his back lack of focus games, but he provides so much unappreciated value to a team.  Pitch framing, working counts, defensively (98% of the time, with those 2% lack of focus moments) and hit for decent pop.  He's still a Top 4 C in the league and you're paying him as such.  We haven't had a catcher as solid as Grandal since AJP and people are still wanting him out.  He is what he is, but he provides the unsexy value a team appreciates, which obviously the Sox do.  Without Grandal, where would we be?  3rd place? Most likely.

We can be third place tomorrow with Grandal to be fair.

Edited by SonofaRoache
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah its awful being a superfan of likely MVP.

Literally nothing worse than being a fan of the guy having an MVP season.

I will preface this by saying RIP, but Kobe won an MVP award back in the day. Not sure how many NBA forum goers we have, but nothing was worse than Kobe fans when it was becoming evident that LeBron was the better player.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Wait, you don't think James McCann is going to get an contract offer above $5.4 million this off season?  If you are willing to bet on that, I will take whatever amount of money you are willing to put up on that one.

In a world everything lines up perfectly, there would be a good possibility he would get something in the $8-$10M range from a team with limited catching options.

I don't see 2021 as that world, especially on the revenue side. There is no world $18M is a possibility.

Free Agent catchers, Pre-Covid 2020 Contracts (Full amount, not the fraction they actually received)

• Travis d'Arnaud ($8.0M)
  • Jason Castro ($6.8M)
  • Robinson Chirinos ($5.5M)

James McCann is better than the above players. Unfortunately for him, his free agent year is 2021.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

33 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

In a world everything lines up perfectly, there would be a good possibility he would get something in the $8-$10M range from a team with limited catching options.

I don't see 2021 as that world, especially on the revenue side. There is no world $18M is a possibility.

Free Agent catchers, Pre-Covid 2020 Contracts (Full amount, not the fraction they actually received)

• Travis d'Arnaud ($8.0M)
  • Jason Castro ($6.8M)
  • Robinson Chirinos ($5.5M)

James McCann is better than the above players. Unfortunately for him, his free agent year is 2021.

There is zero chance that James McCann makes less than $5.4 million next year.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

After 7 years straight of horrid baseball, the  Sox have 10 players make their major league debuts this year, there are still only  3 teams in baseball with a better record, Yet the b****ing level stays the same. 

I don't often say this to you, but you are 100% right here.  If you aren't over the moon with this team right now, you are doing it wrong as a fan.  This is one of the single greatest seasons to be a White Sox fan in a long time.  Honestly, probably since 2005-2006, but definitely since at least 2008.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

McCann is going to sign somewhere and be exposed for being a slightly above average catcher with a 130+ game workload. And Grandal will outperform him the next three years and people here will pretend like it was smart to let him walk 

This exactly. I love having both of them, but Grandal is the a superior player to McCann in every way.

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

This exactly. I love having both of them, but Grandal is the a superior player to McCann in every way.

Except defense (specifically catching the baseball)...which is like the most important part of the job of the...catcher.

McCann is superior is defensive ability to Grandal.

• Like 1

Grandal is better, no doubt. I do think however all things being equal if the Sox invested their money in a RF instead of Grandal, we would be better off with McCann and (insert big money RF) vs Grandal and Mazara. I think going forward you have to commit to Grandal.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Grandal is better, no doubt. I do think however all things being equal if the Sox invested their money in a RF instead of Grandal, we would be better off with McCann and (insert big money RF) vs Grandal and Mazara. I think going forward you have to commit to Grandal.

Interesting.  Who would that big money RF be?  IMHO, it’s gotta be Harper, right?  Two years later, it seems obvious he would have been a much better fit than Machado.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Interesting.  Who would that big money RF be?  IMHO, it’s gotta be Harper, right?  Two years later, it seems obvious he would have been a much better fit than Machado.

Big difference between $330M and $73M. 

Harper obviously would have been great. But I’ve moved in from the free agent pursuits of 18-19 winter, and it’s best everyone does.

Still need to go find that RF tho. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I think pitching was more important than an RF at the time and is going forward.

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Big difference between $330M and $73M. 

Harper obviously would have been great. But I’ve moved in from the free agent pursuits of 18-19 winter, and it’s best everyone does.

Still need to go find that RF tho. 

Absolutely.  I just couldn’t think of another lefty hitting FA right fielder. Mazara May be struggling but it’s a rare commodity. I thought Polanco might be worth a flier. Oops.

19 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

You can make a genuine argument that the 2020 White Sox would be better with Castellanos in RF and McCann behind the plate than Grandal behind the plate and Mazara in RF. But Harper would have made this lineup one of the best in decades

• Like 3

I've said this multiple times, but we didn't need a catcher last year.  The log jam we have was created because Hahn struck out on other targets and had money to spend so he spent it.  Again, this isn't to say Grandal sucks or anything like that.  But Catcher was the one position we didn't need to sign anyone last year.  You see what you have in McCann and Collins this year.  We needed RF and bullpen help.   But what's done is done.

Personally, I would try and do everything I can to keep McCann around since Giolito loves pitching to him and I think you don't mess with that, not with the stuff he has. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1