You have to start McCann for now

YourWhatHurts

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Please stop. McCann is not as good as Grandal defensively. period

Based on what metric this season?

And why is Edwin playing over McCann? That’s the biggest question. Despite the occasional home run, not a fan of DHing a guy with an OPS of sub 700.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Please stop. McCann is not as good as Grandal defensively. period

Do you see any hope in the Sox being able to keep James McCann by resigning him in the offseason? Or should we consider this last stretch/playoffs as his swan song in a Sox uniform?

• Love 1

21 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:
Do you see any hope in the Sox being able to keep James McCann by resigning him in the offseason? Or should we consider this last stretch/playoffs as his swan song in a Sox uniform?

I guess I’m not the only dummy that prefers McCann this season 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

i literally quoted steve stone saying this in another thread and was critical of his take, so this isn't exactly the gotcha moment you were looking for.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

i literally quoted steve stone saying this in another thread and was critical of his take, so this isn't exactly the gotcha moment you were looking for.

Not a gotcha, just stating your take that Grandal somehow better defensively is not widely shared.

PS - He's not better offensively this year either.

4 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Only because he’s caught more pitches. On a rate basis, McCann is better this season.

Fangraphs has Grandal as 36% better on a rate basis.

BIS has Grandal as 64% better on a rate basis.

Baseball Savant has Grandal 18% worse on a rate basis. 

tenor.gif

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

Fangraphs has Grandal as 36% better on a rate basis.

BIS has Grandal as 64% better on a rate basis.

Baseball Savant has Grandal 18% worse on a rate basis. 

tenor.gif

I was previously told by multiple posters on this site whenever the question of framing came up that baseball savant was the most accurate. Is that no longer the case???

• Love 1

9 hours ago, WookiesOnRitalin said:

Yasmani apparently has only one redeeming quality as a hitter. 

He is currently batting .292 on the road. So, let's just play Yas in away games cause he cannot apparently hit at GR Field. 🙄

He also leads the team in walks, and is third on the team (behind TA and just behind Jose) with a VERY good .357 OBP. 

This team desperately needed guys who can get on base and see pitches. It also desperately needed some balance. Yasmani provides both. As a big supporter of bringing Grandal on board, I won’t sit here and say I am tickled with his performance this year. But this is who Grandal is and always has been. An elite OBP switch hitting catcher who is also an above average framer and receiver. People who were expecting him to hit .280+ and not strike out a lot frankly just didn’t know his game very well. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 2