Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
YourWhatHurts

You have to start McCann for now

Recommended Posts

I’d offer him a reasonable short term deal.  3/21 or such to catch 65-70 games and pitch hit.  
Being on a club like this makes guys want to stay even if they’re not playing every day.

 

I can’t see someone offering much more than that anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

McCann has looked better for the most part but Grandal is a top 5 catcher and it is a SSS. McCann scared us a bit last year when he fell of that cliff for a while. He may be better suited for limited duty and light wear and tear. Baseball is about the long haul,and over the long haul I'm rolling with Grandal. 

What long haul do you speak of in 2020? There’s two weeks left and then the playoffs. I really don’t care about a long season when we are here and now with playoffs just over two weeks away. McCann should play at least 2/3 of the games from here on out. Don’t have to worry about this decision next season because McCann will be gone.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If McCann didn't play nearly half his games and at bats vs lefties his numbers likely would not be better offensively. This is the aspect people seem to be missing when comparing the two statistically. McCann has played in more successful situations for him, because he's the back-up. Grandal has to play everyday so he doesn't get to avoid his weaknesses.

Roughly 2/3 of McCann’s at bats this season are against righties and he has a 835 OPS. Last season he had a 759 OPS against righties over a large sample size. Even if that’s his “weak” side that’s still a heck of a lot better than what the Sox have gotten from Edwin this season (679 OPS vs righties in 2020). This isn’t hard. There’s two weeks left in the season, ride the hot hand hand Ricky.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Roughly 2/3 of McCann’s at bats this season are against righties and he has a 835 OPS. Last season he had a 759 OPS against righties over a large sample size. Even if that’s his “weak” side that’s still a heck of a lot better than what the Sox have gotten from Edwin this season (679 OPS vs righties in 2020). This isn’t hard. There’s two weeks left in the season, ride the hot hand hand Ricky.

In 2019, EE put up a 121 OPS+ against righties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

In 2019, EE put up a 121 OPS+ against righties.

Do you see any signs of EE breaking out though? He’s looked terrible ever since last year’s playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Do you see any signs of EE breaking out though? He’s looked terrible ever since last year’s playoffs.

Actually yes.  There is a thread about his recent turn around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Except defense (specifically catching the baseball)...which is like the most important part of the job of the...catcher.

McCann is superior is defensive ability to Grandal.

Based on what? Tuesday night? Grandal beats McCann in every advanced fielding metric on Fangraphs over the lengths of both of their careers. I'm not going to suddenly one game, let alone 43 games, in a crazy pandemic season suddenly change my opinion on years of data.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Based on what? Tuesday night? Grandal beats McCann in every advanced fielding metric on Fangraphs over the lengths of both of their careers. I'm not going to suddenly one game, let alone 43 games, in a crazy pandemic season suddenly change my opinion on years of data.

Have you been watching these games? Im not talking about that errant throw when he was playing first yesterday. Grandal drops like 2-4 pitches every game at catcher. Seems like he gets lazy sometimes on pitches in the dirt and has bad form. The biggest argument I've heard is Grandal is amazing at framing, but it's obvious McCann has worked hard at improved his framing this offseason. McCann also calls better games behind the plate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Have you been watching these games? Im not talking about that errant throw when he was playing first yesterday. Grandal drops like 2-4 pitches every game at catcher. Seems like he gets lazy sometimes on pitches in the dirt and has bad form. The biggest argument I've heard is Grandal is amazing at framing, but it's obvious McCann has worked hard at improved his framing this offseason. McCann also calls better games behind the plate.

I hate that framing is even considered a “skill.” It’s dumb tbh. This is 2020 for cripes sake. Well, anyway, both McCann and Omar Narvaez (what?!) have a higher “strike rate” than Grandal this season.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/catcher_framing?year=2020&team=&min=q&sort=5,1

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

What long haul do you speak of in 2020? There’s two weeks left and then the playoffs. I really don’t care about a long season when we are here and now with playoffs just over two weeks away. McCann should play at least 2/3 of the games from here on out. Don’t have to worry about this decision next season because McCann will be gone.

What is working is playing both right now. I agree with that and EE should be more of the odd man out.  Moving forward though I'm rolling with Grandal. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

What is working is playing both right now. I agree with that and EE should be more of the odd man out.  Moving forward though I'm rolling with Grandal. 

What do you mean by “moving forward”? Do you mean in the playoffs? Do you really want Grandal catching Giolito? If by moving forward you mean after this season, McCann is gone anyways so it’s a moot point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Have you been watching these games? Im not talking about that errant throw when he was playing first yesterday. Grandal drops like 2-4 pitches every game at catcher. Seems like he gets lazy sometimes on pitches in the dirt and has bad form. The biggest argument I've heard is Grandal is amazing at framing, but it's obvious McCann has worked hard at improved his framing this offseason. McCann also calls better games behind the plate.

No, I haven't watched a single game. How did you know?

I'll gladly die on the hill that Grandal is a better catcher. I like both of them, but gun to my head, I'm taking Grandal 10/10 times over McCann. Track record speaks for itself. If you don't want to agree or see that logic, that's your prerogative.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Have you been watching these games? Im not talking about that errant throw when he was playing first yesterday. Grandal drops like 2-4 pitches every game at catcher. Seems like he gets lazy sometimes on pitches in the dirt and has bad form. The biggest argument I've heard is Grandal is amazing at framing, but it's obvious McCann has worked hard at improved his framing this offseason. McCann also calls better games behind the plate.

He drops 2-4 pitches a game? Huh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

No, I haven't watched a single game. How did you know?

I'll gladly die on the hill that Grandal is a better catcher. I like both of them, but gun to my head, I'm taking Grandal 10/10 times over McCann. Track record speaks for itself. If you don't want to agree or see that logic, that's your prerogative.

This. It’s frankly not really close. If / when McCann plays everyday, he’s going to get very exposed. Grandal has a very long track record of being one of the best 2-3 catchers in the game. 

Bottom line is this is a good problem to have and the amount of handwringing on here over having two good catchers is asinine. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He drops 2-4 pitches a game? Huh

I'm not sure how these people catch this (when it isn't even true) and somehow miss McCann's 3 catchers' interferences in just 20 games caught (Grandal has 0), or McCann having twice as many errors as Grandal despite playing 63 fewer innings. I hate that this fanbase is making me want James McCann, a pretty solid player, to leave the team in FA so that these debates can end

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I'm not sure how these people catch this (when it isn't even true) and somehow miss McCann's 3 catchers' interferences in just 20 games caught (Grandal has 0), or McCann having twice as many errors as Grandal despite playing 63 fewer innings. I hate that this fanbase is making me want James McCann, a pretty solid player, to leave the team in FA so that these debates can end

There might be another reason why a few people don't like Grandal but do like McCann...

I'd like McCann to stay, but I also would like him to go get a starting gig and get himself paid one time; which I'm sure he's excited to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I'm not sure how these people catch this (when it isn't even true) and somehow miss McCann's 3 catchers' interferences in just 20 games caught (Grandal has 0), or McCann having twice as many errors as Grandal despite playing 63 fewer innings. I hate that this fanbase is making me want James McCann, a pretty solid player, to leave the team in FA so that these debates can end

McCann is a great success story for the White Sox.  Grandal is a great indication that the White Sox believe in this rebuild and that they are close enough to start loading up on pieces that fill holes long term.  It is really too bad that for some reason McCann has turned into having a cult-like following, that spoils these two succcesses.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

He made 3 errors last night - got credited with only 1 though. But please, continue telling us about his defensive prowess.

Jimmy has been great in his role. As good as it gets. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He made 3 errors last night - got credited with only 1 though. But please, continue telling us about his defensive prowess.

Jimmy has been great in his role. As good as it gets. 

While he was great with the bat, he was AWFUL behind the plate last night.  Uncharacteristically so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there room to roster either Collins or Mercedes for the playoffs?  If we need that spot for a pitcher, would leaving EE off and adding Collins (my preference cuz LH)  be the play?  Super Jimmy and Yas can safely play every day then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Grindersrule said:

Is there room to roster either Collins or Mercedes for the playoffs?  If we need that spot for a pitcher, would leaving EE off and adding Collins (my preference cuz LH)  be the play?  Super Jimmy and Yas can safely play every day then.

With the lack of off days, pitching is way more important than it was before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I agree that loading up the playoff roster with pitching is crucial.  That's why my thoughts went to leaving EE off for the emergency catcher.  Both McCann and Yas will pick up ABs that would have gone to EE.  Either emergency catcher also offer some pinch hit value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I think you need to have a 3rd catcher on the playoff roster. Not sure who that will leave off. Too bad Leury doesn't sound like he will be back; he might suffice there too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×