NFL Thread 2020-2021

bmags

Bears d looks like more of the same. Weak pressure / no pressure. That flat out won’t work again. Pagano will be packing his bags mid season if he can’t figure a way to get that pass rush going. 

I do think Lions are a solid team - but Bears needed Mitchs best quarter in two years to win and it was against back up dbs and with the Lions missing their top wideout. 

That said - credit to Mitch for some money throws in that 4th quarter and for not giving up. How about a game like that 4th quarter. Like a 4 passing, 1 rushing td game next week - please!!! 

10 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

I only saw a little of the game.  Did Mitch find any secondary receivers or is he still locked in on the primary?

He had one play where he actually went to his 3rd or 4th progression and got a completion. That's the only play that stuck out to me where it seemed like he did that. 

8 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

I only saw a little of the game.  Did Mitch find any secondary receivers or is he still locked in on the primary?

He was locked into Robinson somewhat often, but the GW TD was to Miller and was a perfect throw. He also finally found Graham in the 2nd half (probably because he kept mistiming jumps horribly in the 1st half). Mooney made a couple of catches. 

20 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

He was locked into Robinson somewhat often, but the GW TD was to Miller and was a perfect throw. He also finally found Graham in the 2nd half (probably because he kept mistiming jumps horribly in the 1st half). Mooney made a couple of catches. 

The touchdown to Wims was a good kind of chaos too.   I don't think he was the primary and Mitch found him in a small window

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

The touchdown to Wims was a good kind of chaos too.   I don't think he was the primary and Mitch found him in a small window

You're right. He said postgame that Robinson was the first read

FWIW someone tweeted that Robinson's tape will be a good one to send elsewhere in free agency & Robinson "liked" it after the game. Since then he has unliked it 

13 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I would still have Mitch on a short leash next week. You can’t just show up for 1 quarter a game and expect to win consistently.

Mitch does this most of the time. He shows flashes of potential but the offense just plods along most of the time. During the first half, first down plays were productive with the running game, but that didn't translate into points. I really think the fourth quarter rally will only further the denial. It is time to move on from the Mitch experiment.

2 hours ago, NWINFan said:

Mitch does this most of the time. He shows flashes of potential but the offense just plods along most of the time. During the first half, first down plays were productive with the running game, but that didn't translate into points. I really think the fourth quarter rally will only further the denial. It is time to move on from the Mitch experiment.

The defense is what concerns me more than Mitch after that game. They gave up another lead late in the 4th quarter. That last TD pass by Mitch wouldn't have been needed if the defense doesn't give up a TD. They had a tendency to give up 4th quarter TDs last year and this year is started out the same.

17 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I would still have Mitch on a short leash next week. You can’t just show up for 1 quarter a game and expect to win consistently.

I think he's going to be on a short leash for a while - that said - I won't come to any conclusion from 1 game.  Mitch was lousy for 3 quarters and wasn't good enough and was really really good for a quarter.  

If I was an optimist, I'd say 1st 3 quarters were timing and working through kinks (no preseason, etc) and maybe things started coming together in 4th quarter and we saw a preview of what to expect in the future.

If I was a pessimist - I'd say he was what he has been for 3 quarters and than he beat up a banged up secondary in the 4th quarter with a team schematically shifting from zone to man (zone has always troubled Mitch) and so you pretty much have to ignore his 4th quarter.

I think everything in the "optimist & pessimist" section has a lot of truth in it - I'd also say that even a pessimist would have to agree that the one thing you can't argue is that Mitch didn't wilt in the 4th quarter, despite the bad game - which I do believe to be a real positive.  Good QB's find ways to help there team, even when the unit is struggling, etc.  In the 4th quarter - he overcame his own noise and threw some great balls.  

The run game was also much improved - that said - some of the play calling still shows Nagy struggles setting his own identity. This team could run the ball well - but in a few 3rd and short situations - they went cute and didn't convert (toss sweeps to Patterson vs. pounding it with Mongtomery - who was getting 5YPG)...QB sneak by Mitch early in the game that came short, etc.  I feel like this offense is best if they establish and pound the running game - use that as your bread and butter and deploy tricks and gadgets and action to just keep teams on their toes (not the other way around - I don't think your bread and butter can be the "gadgets").  Nagy also was horrific at clock management at end of 2nd quarter - literally put Detroit in position to get that TD and than Detroit goes right back with that momentum at start of 3rd quarter - total game changer.  

Bottom Line - I think Nagy has the persona to run the show and be a good head coach - but he does some head scratching things that might just be due to his inexperience as a playcaller, etc - which I think can diminish some of his strengths.  Also - Defense needs to find a way to consistently generate pass rush; Stafford had ALL DAY...literally all day. 

But always better to clean stuff up following a win vs. a loss and with no preseason action at all - no matter what I think it takes a few weeks until we know who and what any team is. Plus the dynamic of no fans / quiet stadiums is going to be really interesting - mutes home field advantage but also likely in general favors offenses as I presume it is easier for offenses to communicate and probably makes it harder for dlineman to create havoc from general miscommunication of oline.  

51 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The defense is what concerns me more than Mitch after that game. They gave up another lead late in the 4th quarter. That last TD pass by Mitch wouldn't have been needed if the defense doesn't give up a TD. They had a tendency to give up 4th quarter TDs last year and this year is started out the same.

Since Pagano came in - the defense has just been soft.  Its one game, but if Mack continues to dissapear - Bears are really going to regret that deal and Gruden will have actually been right.  If the season goes in shambles (way too early to say at this point and I expect this team to be solid at worse) - I would dangle Mack for picks (you won't get what you gave...but there is absolutely going to be a team or two who would look to acquire him and rekindle his magic - cause the raw tools are still there).

But it is one game - hopefully we see everyone take a step forward against the Giants! 

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

They also gave up what should have been a very easy game-winning TD that the Lions RB just dropped.

The defense was worrisome but I am going to take this to be more like college. The difference between game 1 and game 2 will probably be very noticeable. Not playing any preseason games, as worthless as they might seem, has to have some sort of effect. I think the Bears defense plays a whole lot better next Sunday. Hopefully Mitch continues to play as well as he played vs. the Giants 1st string as he did against the Lions 3rd string corner. For the first 3 quarters it was the Mitch we have come to know. But he was pretty awesome in the 4th albeit vs guys deep on the depth chart. But he did make some nice throws.

6 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Since Pagano came in - the defense has just been soft.  Its one game, but if Mack continues to dissapear - Bears are really going to regret that deal and Gruden will have actually been right.  If the season goes in shambles (way too early to say at this point and I expect this team to be solid at worse) - I would dangle Mack for picks (you won't get what you gave...but there is absolutely going to be a team or two who would look to acquire him and rekindle his magic - cause the raw tools are still there).

But it is one game - hopefully we see everyone take a step forward against the Giants! 

I wouldn't worry too much about Mack yet.  Even if he has another year like last year, that's still one of the best pass rushers in the league.  I can't say that we'll ever live to regret that deal.  The trade ended up being:

Bears receive:

• Khalil Mack
  • Cole Kmet
  • Arlington Hambright

Raiders receive:

• Josh Jacobs
  • Blessuan Austin (this pick was traded to NYJ)
  • Damon Arnette
  • Bryan Edwards

Jacobs is a very good RB , but I'll take Mack over him any day.  And obviously it's too early on Arnette and Edwards, but neither of those guys concern me right now.  Guess we can revisit this in a year or two, but I still like our end of the deal.

35 minutes ago, fathom said:

Trubisky’s first half looks a heck of a lot different if Graham times those two jumps better.  I missed the second half, but obviously saw the great 4th quarter highlights.

That is a fair point - I also think Mitch should have had 1-2 int's in that 1st half too.