NFL Thread 2020-2021

bmags

14 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

This is the worse the Bears offense has looked all year. Probably one of those weeks where Mitch would have been a better weapon because his legs add an extra dimension for a defense like the Colts. 

Note: I am not saying Mitch is the better QB. 

In reality, when have the Bears offense looked good? The fourth quarters of the Lions and Falcons games, that's it. Take those quarters away, and the Bears offense hasn't done anything. Not looking forward to Tampa Bay.

I really think Nagy needs to look himself in the mirror on his responsibilities. From reports on his private beliefs, he thinks the issues are with lack of inputs preventing things like the TE, his QB, his oline, etc in his offense from performing. 

But when they provide all of those TEs and none of them look good? He has some pretty damn good receivers and some interesting pieces at RB. He has really bad QBs and unproductive TEs.

He needs to make an offense that acknowledges and works within that. Not keep bending another roster to do something it keeps not doing. 

Maybe it's just playcalling, but something needs to change.

39 minutes ago, bmags said:

I really think Nagy needs to look himself in the mirror on his responsibilities. From reports on his private beliefs, he thinks the issues are with lack of inputs preventing things like the TE, his QB, his oline, etc in his offense from performing. 

But when they provide all of those TEs and none of them look good? He has some pretty damn good receivers and some interesting pieces at RB. He has really bad QBs and unproductive TEs.

He needs to make an offense that acknowledges and works within that. Not keep bending another roster to do something it keeps not doing. 

I've said many times - when for whatever reason - guys just don't get that open on the Bears.  Don't know if it is scheme, playcalling, Qb's not finding guys at right time, the skillposition players not being very good or a combination of all of those things...but something has to give.

That said - I do believe the Colts D is that damn good too.  Did the Bears sign Lamar Miller to the practice squad? I read something over the weekend that said it was the rumor - so wasn't sure if it happened or not.  

59 minutes ago, bmags said:

I can't help but think that all of the experts pegged this  as a last place, or close to last place, team.  I didn't have much in the way of expectations this season for the Bears, and they have succeeded at being fairly mediocre even at 3-1

• Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I can't help but think that all of the experts pegged this  as a last place, or close to last place, team.  I didn't have much in the way of expectations this season for the Bears, and they have succeeded at being fairly mediocre even at 3-1

Yeah, though the defense is very good. And in the nfl I always just want to win however you can because you have parts of the season when you are hot and cold, and banking wins when you aren't at your best is crucial to a winning season.

The colts dline is very good. There is not really a comparison in the division, though packers/vikes is better than lions that's for sure.

22 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I've said many times - when for whatever reason - guys just don't get that open on the Bears.  Don't know if it is scheme, playcalling, Qb's not finding guys at right time, the skillposition players not being very good or a combination of all of those things...but something has to give.

That said - I do believe the Colts D is that damn good too.  Did the Bears sign Lamar Miller to the practice squad? I read something over the weekend that said it was the rumor - so wasn't sure if it happened or not.  

but we've had how many TEs now to be the U and all of failed to get open? Maybe he doesn't understand why that is effective in Reids offense well enough. 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is who they were - they were always a team with good QB play that could win 11 or 12 games...but with mediocre play probably somewhere like 8-10 games.  I always put the floor on about 6 or 7 games - because the defense was solid and the schedule, on paper, was pretty winnable.  

It will be interesting to see what they do at QB.  And by the way - I'm not saying Nagy is the problem - there are things I think he does well as a coach and thinks that I think he can improve on.  This is just the positions teams who don't have all pro type of QB's regularly find themselves in.  

1 hour ago, bmags said:

but we've had how many TEs now to be the U and all of failed to get open? Maybe he doesn't understand why that is effective in Reids offense well enough. 

I still don't know that the team has had any quality TE's in his tenure or at least well above average TE's.  Burton was solid in that 1 season - but he was far from spectacular and never looked like an all pro.  Jimmy Graham is no all pro (not anymore) either, but he's certainly a step up from last year's mess. I won't even acknowledge last year given how futile the players were - I think Burton was like the worst TE statistically in NFL history last season (and no I'm not being sarcastic on that - I actually think I read a stat that said that from PFF).  

Cole Kmet is what gives me hope - but I haven't seen him show up yet.  Again - I'm going to give Foles a chance to work with this squad and similarly Nagy to do the same with a new QB cause I legitimately thought Nagy called 3 straight really solid gameplans with Mitch as the QB.  I saw a unit that outside of that 1st half against Detroit was starting to get more proficient at 3rd down and was putting together drives - that said - they weren't capitalizing on turning them into TD's and were missing on the big plays - which is why this team is where it is).

Against the Colts - that was the most futile 4 quarter performance I had seen yet - but it is the #1 ranked defense in the league.  I'm curious to see how they respond vs. the Buccaneers.  If they put up a dud against the Bucs, than we have another conversation - in fact - at some point you have to start thinking about making moves for next season vs. this season. Do you make a play / push for Sam D'Arnold or something else?  

3 hours ago, bmags said:

I wouldn't say they have "pretty damn good receivers." Robinson is good, Mooney looks promising, but Ginn is a corpse, Miller blows, & Wims blocks well. That's it

The rest I agree with. He needs to put his ego to the side and let Lazor or Flip call plays. Enough's enough. Every damn game he says the run game must be better. How about MAKING IT BETTER?

This is the Angelo Bears all over. Good defense that keeps getting reinvested into & a terrible O. Same old shit

40 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I still don't know that the team has had any quality TE's in his tenure or at least well above average TE's.  Burton was solid in that 1 season - but he was far from spectacular and never looked like an all pro.  Jimmy Graham is no all pro (not anymore) either, but he's certainly a step up from last year's mess. I won't even acknowledge last year given how futile the players were - I think Burton was like the worst TE statistically in NFL history last season (and no I'm not being sarcastic on that - I actually think I read a stat that said that from PFF).  

Cole Kmet is what gives me hope - but I haven't seen him show up yet.  Again - I'm going to give Foles a chance to work with this squad and similarly Nagy to do the same with a new QB cause I legitimately thought Nagy called 3 straight really solid gameplans with Mitch as the QB.  I saw a unit that outside of that 1st half against Detroit was starting to get more proficient at 3rd down and was putting together drives - that said - they weren't capitalizing on turning them into TD's and were missing on the big plays - which is why this team is where it is).

Against the Colts - that was the most futile 4 quarter performance I had seen yet - but it is the #1 ranked defense in the league.  I'm curious to see how they respond vs. the Buccaneers.  If they put up a dud against the Bucs, than we have another conversation - in fact - at some point you have to start thinking about making moves for next season vs. this season. Do you make a play / push for Sam D'Arnold or something else?  

Pace has had 2 chances at QB (arguably 3) & 2 chances at TE, both times failed. He knows defense and that's it. He has traded up 4 times for offensive talent and none of the 4 look better than "decent." If this year finishes with 7 or 8 wins, everyone needs to go.

I'm not trying to channel my inner @Jack Parkman here but they need to keep taking swings at a FO who can develop an offense. So far, these idiots have been given 6 years and they still suck

17 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Way too late, but good for the Texans. I feel sorry for DeShaun Watson so far. They still have another year without a 1st round pick....yikes. 

BOB should have been canned the minute he brought up trading Hopkins 

Rivera looks like he learned something about managing QB's from the Bears - pretty shocked at how rapidly they are benching Haskins.  I know he hasn't been great but dude is in his 2nd year.  I've always been a huge believer in giving young QB's time, opportunity and consistency.  It is why I can't really argue how the Bears handled Trubisky - other than, if Fox was on that tight of a leash you probably should have let him be so that the HC and QB were aligned at the start (and I could make the same case for the Washington Football team).  

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

Rivera looks like he learned something about managing QB's from the Bears - pretty shocked at how rapidly they are benching Haskins.  I know he hasn't been great but dude is in his 2nd year.  I've always been a huge believer in giving young QB's time, opportunity and consistency.  It is why I can't really argue how the Bears handled Trubisky - other than, if Fox was on that tight of a leash you probably should have let him be so that the HC and QB were aligned at the start (and I could make the same case for the Redskins).  

Probably has more to do with the fact that Allen is more his guy than Haskins.   Either way I don't really see either guy being the franchise QB going forward 

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Probably has more to do with the fact that Allen is more his guy than Haskins.   Either way I don't really see either guy being the franchise QB going forward 

I just figure Allen definitely isn't - but you are right - part of it is Rivera had no attachment to Haskins.  Haskins has some talent though - big arm, throws a nice deep ball, but not exactly the most mobile guy (although I'd caveat I haven't watched him much with the Washington football team.  

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I'm curious whether Bears would make a play for Sam D'Arnold if Jets pivot.  Gase is a disaster and he has talent, but obviously hasn't pieced it all together.  

13 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I'm curious whether Bears would make a play for Sam D'Arnold if Jets pivot.  Gase is a disaster and he has talent, but obviously hasn't pieced it all together.  

Outside of something crazy happening, I really don't see the Bears picking very high because of record, so they will either have to trade future picks for a Darnold type that has fallen out of favor or deal picks to move up.  Both ideas are rather unsettling