NFL Thread 2020-2021

bmags

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

At this point we should hope the Bears go 2-4 to end the season and end up closer to the 10th pick.  Might have a shot at Lance or Wilson if they can get to this range without having too give up too much future draft capital.

I don't want Ryan Pace picking a quarterback.

• Love 1

Problem with Nagy and the play calling is his scheme sucks.  Thus he scraps the whole offense and hires a new OC that installs a system then you have the whole offense similar to our time before him where it continually sucked or if it is good the OC is hired to a new team.

Trading pieces gets a ton of  3rd through 6th round picks other than Smith those guys are only getting you volume.

3 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

There's pretty regularly open, even wide open receivers that our never-ending parade of garbage QB's can't hit

I'd say forcing a scheme multiple players (including a handpicked one) cannot execute is pretty damning. Like I don't think Nick Foles is good, but I also don't think he's this bad. And I also think at this point it was pretty clear that the bears would have been better spending that $22 million on the offensive line and running back Mitch. The bears just have this knack for not just having bad qbs, but getting them friggen killed.

4 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

There's pretty regularly open, even wide open receivers that our never-ending parade of garbage QB's can't hit

Yesterday - there were a lot of guys open and plays to be made. Nick Foles is check down city. Trubisky was a check down guy up until this year. This year he was actually going downfield at a much higher clip, it was why I had some optimism that he had made progress. Foles missed a ton of stuff and he is hearing footsteps (which I get and I don't blame him) but reality is while there are plenty of blame to go around, Nick Foles has been absolutely atrocious at QB for the Bears this year.  

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I'd say forcing a scheme multiple players (including a handpicked one) cannot execute is pretty damning. Like I don't think Nick Foles is good, but I also don't think he's this bad. And I also think at this point it was pretty clear that the bears would have been better spending that $22 million on the offensive line and running back Mitch. The bears just have this knack for not just having bad qbs, but getting them friggen killed.

Yeah - forget Quinn and Foles, bring in one of the other veteran QB's as a backup at a lower end range and invest in the oline.  I also was pretty vocal about Ebron over Jimmy Graham.  Thought that was an atrocious move too - in terms of how much the Bears paid, but after last years dumpster fire I get why they did it.  Reality is their production has been similar, although Ebron has been more steady vs. Graham who has kind of become non-existent later in the season and doesn't play with the same physicality as Ebron (who can still make guys miss and use his athleticism).  Ebron has his own flaws though.  

I don't know if Kmet was not on the same page but the problem with scheme is there were at least a number of plays where next thing you know 2 bears wideouts are in the same spot or they are all just so bunched up I literally think the scheme enables the d to not have to play d.  I read in Biggs piece he thought some of the plays where we had 2 guys in the same spot had to deal with Foles holding too long and not releasing on time - so that might be true, but you could here the commentators all night talking about some of the formations and how they didn't really give the unit much chance.

I think I saw a Todd Haley quote in Biggs 10 thoughts - focused on how Bill Parcells used to come in each Tuesday and tell his offensive staff to cut 20 plays from the play sheet on a weekly basis and how Haley realized over time it was because it really forced the OC's to truly think about what the very best plays are to run vs. fall too in love with all the cute stuff. I very much think this is a theme and Lazor over time might be better at it (I thought the tempo and pace of play calls in 1st half was pretty decent - foles had some costly miscues that got in the way).  2nd half - well disaster - so many bad 2nd down plays where guys just got blown up / went backwards.   

2 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Trading pieces gets a ton of  3rd through 6th round picks other than Smith those guys are only getting you volume.

Oh, I get this. 

But, this roster, as currently comprised, with THIS coach, and THAT GM will never ever compete for a championship. On the other hand, the defense is TOO GOOD for this team to be able to pick high enough to land the next franchise QB.

At the same time, I don't believe that there is/are the right mix of FAs/trades/draftees available to turn this program around fast enough, before Mack, et al get too old.

The idea of trading away all the decent players in the roster is NOT to achieve the optimum in trade value. The idea is to break free of being mired in mediocrity. The idea is to get out of the 5-11 to 9-7 blob. 

Better to get bad enough, NOW, so that this team can hit the reset button. (And before Mack, Goldman, Hicks, Smith, etc get too old and too injured to return anything in trade.)

Its been 6 years with Pace. He's failed in his objective to win here. Its time to let him go. Similarly, Nagy, for all his positive traits and his compelling backstory, seems to want to be an OC moreso than a head coach. Let him go, and "be himself" calling plays elsewhere.

The window to compete is clearly closed, so why try to prolong the suffering?

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Oh, I get this. 

But, this roster, as currently comprised, with THIS coach, and THAT GM will never ever compete for a championship. On the other hand, the defense is TOO GOOD for this team to be able to pick high enough to land the next franchise QB.

At the same time, I don't believe that there is/are the right mix of FAs/trades/draftees available to turn this program around fast enough, before Mack, et al get too old.

The idea of trading away all the decent players in the roster is NOT to achieve the optimum in trade value. The idea is to break free of being mired in mediocrity. The idea is to get out of the 5-11 to 9-7 blob. 

Better to get bad enough, NOW, so that this team can hit the reset button. (And before Mack, Goldman, Hicks, Smith, etc get too old and too injured to return anything in trade.)

Its been 6 years with Pace. He's failed in his objective to win here. Its time to let him go. Similarly, Nagy, for all his positive traits and his compelling backstory, seems to want to be an OC moreso than a head coach. Let him go, and "be himself" calling plays elsewhere.

The window to compete is clearly closed, so why try to prolong the suffering?

Both the Chargers and the Dolphins seemingly got franchise level QBs while going 5-11 last year, although we'll see how they develop. In 2019, the only good QB seemingly went #1, while in 2018 the best QB may have gone #7 to Buffalo after trading a first and 2 seconds. In 2017, the best 2 QBs were drafted 10th and 12th, with the #10 pick earning the highest contract in sports history, and the #2 pick will not be spoken about again.

I get cashing out on some of these guys on the grounds that you should take what you can get given where the team currently is. I disagree with the notion that you only get a #1 QB if you are drafting in the top 3. 

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Both the Chargers and the Dolphins seemingly got franchise level QBs while going 5-11 last year, although we'll see how they develop. In 2019, the only good QB seemingly went #1, while in 2018 the best QB may have gone #7 to Buffalo after trading a first and 2 seconds. In 2017, the best 2 QBs were drafted 10th and 12th, with the #10 pick earning the highest contract in sports history, and the #2 pick will not be spoken about again.

I get cashing out on some of these guys on the grounds that you should take what you can get given where the team currently is. I disagree with the notion that you only get a #1 QB if you are drafting in the top 3. 

Sure, I get that it's "possible" to get a franchise QB later in the draft, but I think we've suffered enough in this town without a competent QB. I'd just rather not take a chance, and I'd also like to give Mack, Smith, and the rest of the defense a chance to win before their careers end.

14 hours ago, SoxAce said:

I should've just stuck with the Dolphins. Dan Marino was my favorite QB growing up and I always had a soft spot for the Phins until my pops knocked that out of me. :lol:

Lol, not that the Dolphins have been that much better though, haha! Growing up, my first favorite team was the Seahawks simply because that's the plastic helmet I got from a gumball machine, lol. But I've always been a howntown homer, Bulls, White Sox, Bears and Blackhawks...hell, even before I settled in as exclusively a Sox fan, I used to root for the Cubs too as a little kid in the late 70s early 80s...

I can't stop supporting the Bears though, that 86 team really did a number on me, hooked me in for life even when this franchise have given me a whole lot more disappointments than satisfaction...

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

I'm curious if Mitch is trending towards healthy.  Mainly because I want to see him finish out the year and just let it ride.  With this oline and this system he'll probably be just as bad, but hey, crazier things have happened.  If Pace was confident he'd has another year, I could see him ride with Bray and just throw this thing down the tubes to maximize his pick for a new shot at a QB as well.  

2 hours ago, MexSoxFan#1 said:

Countdown to our annual beatdown at the hands of our greatest rival...so excited for that game 🙄

Honestly the Bears have lost by one score more often than not.  Beat downs have been rare between the teams

22 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Honestly the Bears have lost by one score more often than not.  Beat downs have been rare between the teams

Please don't let these be famous last words. I want more than anything for the Bears to find a spark and start winning...but it won't happen.  

6 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Please don't let these be famous last words. I want more than anything for the Bears to find a spark and start winning...but it won't happen.  

I'm not saying bears will win, but I won't be surprised if the defense keeps it close for a while 

5 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

That might be the case but we're 4-17 the last 21 games vs GB, including a playoff loss at home in the NFC championship game so it just feels like we have no business competing against them.

3 minutes ago, MexSoxFan#1 said:

That might be the case but we're 4-17 the last 21 games vs GB, including a playoff loss at home in the NFC championship game so it just feels like we have no business competing against them.

Not arguing the record at all, they have owned the bears 

• Like 1