NFL Thread 2020-2021

bmags

3 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

He should be embarrassed of his effort tonight.. no doubt. I just disagree that he isn't good now.

Sure, but the kind of play fans saw from the defense in 2018 isn’t there anymore. A lot of that has to do with players not performing and forcing turnovers.

Yeah, I've said it before, just blow it up, tank, & hit the reset button.

1. Fire everyone,

2. Trade every half-decent player off this roster for draft picks.

3. Find a proper, qualified GM.

4. Work to be as close to 0-16 every year, until a franchise QB falls into your lap.

19 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Yeah, I've said it before, just blow it up, tank, & hit the reset button.

1. Fire everyone,

2. Trade every half-decent player off this roster for draft picks.

3. Find a proper, qualified GM.

4. Work to be as close to 0-16 every year, until a franchise QB falls into your lap.

Sounds awful. I’d rather see continuity for one more season than see a carousel and working on getting a top five pick only to get dicey with a high pick and picking a quarterback.

49 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Trevathan is slow and Kwiatkowski would have been better. Hicks not playing is a weak excuse for the defense performing like they have. Trubisky with bad throws. Horrible offensive line. Jackson is a ghost of his former self. Pace left the cupboard bare for Nagy with the Mitch and Mack trades. Where’s Mack? Does the defense really need Eddie Goldman to be good? Where’s a back to back up Montgomery? Misses on Skrine and Quinn.

I just don’t buy that the bulk of the losing is on Nagy as much as it is Pace. “They didn’t look prepared for this game, so it is Nagy’s fault” is a poor excuse too.

Who the hell are they going to bring in if they fire Pace and Nagy? Because I have a feeling there will be yet another carousel even after Pace and Nagy are gone.

Despite the bad throws by Mitch - it was the best this offense has looked in a long time (which tells you all you need to know).  Poor Mitch..throws 2 TD's on the first drive...both dropped...settle for field goal.  Than he gets a nice first down...called back via holding and follows up with turnover.  On the fumble he gets a massive face mask.  He had his issues but he was at least throwing the ball down the freaking field.  Whomever thought Nick Foles was better for this team made a huge mistake.  Than of course there is the defense - just flat out whipped in 1st half....gave Bears zero chance.  

Never surprised. I'll still say, Mitch is not near as bad as most Bears fans think he is...doesn't mean he's great either, he clearly isn't...but I don't know that anyone would be with Nagy's system and with this line (although I didn't even think the line was that terrible).  I hate the Packers - got I hate the Packers. 

16 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Sounds awful. I’d rather see continuity for one more season than see a carousel and working on getting a top five pick only to get dicey with a high pick and picking a quarterback.

At least thered be a direction for this team.

This team is directionless, except that it will never be good enough to win it all, as currently comprised.

By holding out for "one more season," many of your trade assets will only get older, more injured, or in other ways degraded. 

Meanwhile, this team will be over the cap (according to Hub Arkush) going into next season, without a QB, without an O-line, without a proper head coach, and without a competent GM. Did I miss anything? (EDIT) Oh yeah, Robinson rightly wants to and deserves to get paid, too.

But yeah, let's hold on, and hope to catch lightning in a bottle, right?

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

52 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Trevathan is slow and Kwiatkowski would have been better. Hicks not playing is a weak excuse for the defense performing like they have. Trubisky with bad throws. Horrible offensive line. Jackson is a ghost of his former self. Pace left the cupboard bare for Nagy with the Mitch and Mack trades. Where’s Mack? Does the defense really need Eddie Goldman to be good? Where’s a back to back up Montgomery? Misses on Skrine and Quinn.

I just don’t buy that the bulk of the losing is on Nagy as much as it is Pace. “They didn’t look prepared for this game, so it is Nagy’s fault” is a poor excuse too.

Who the hell are they going to bring in if they fire Pace and Nagy? Because I have a feeling there will be yet another carousel even after Pace and Nagy are gone.

Keep Danny T was a big mistake. He's a good leader, etc, but Nick K was an ascending player via DannyT on the wrong side and Pace just made a massive mistake picking the two. Obviously a lot of input went into that...but big mistake. Quinn is non-existent - just an awful use of cap space when they could have tried to bolster the oline (vs. thinking a new line coach would magically change things).  

And I will give credit to Rodgers - damn guy is good. 

56 minutes ago, The Beast said:

He has looked awful in coverage and the ball hawking has been minimal.

Hard to ball hawk when you literally haven't had the lead but in that Giants game.  That was literally only game they had the lead for much anytime. And not once this year outside of that have they had a 2 score lead (at least I don't think they have) at any point where you could actually get aggressive and start to get teams in predictable passing situations.

Khalil Mack has been a giant dud with the Bears. Not saying he isn't a good player, he is, but very overrated and no matter the excuse he just isn't making enough plays.  This game would have been closer with Hicks and obviously D is much much better with Hicks & Goldman (no one can run on you and it means a lot more 3rd and 7+ vs. this year where teams have been able to run a bit and keep things in 3rd and manageable a lot.  

By the way - not defending Jackson cause he's had a mediocre season, but as someone noted he had 2 TD's taken away on bad calls.  

14 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I tend to agree with you - I thin continuity is a big thing.  It will be interesting to see how they finish. They have a chance to practically win out....don't think they will...but they have a chance. They could also lose to a Lions team that I'm sure will be energized just by not having Patricia as HC and at that point...it could get really ugly really fast.  

Nagy is not a bad head coach - the problem is - he gets in his own way, imo.  Pace has responsibility too and I don't see why you give everyone another chance. And I don't want to draft a QB who is going to be drafted with one regime only to have another regime come in and blow it up.  My guess is Pace ends up sticking around and chooses another head coach (if things end bad).  I still think > 50% chance that Bears finish the year .500 or better and that gets them all another year. 

But WTF do they do at QB?  Foles obviously is not a starter....Mitch is going elsewhere....and you have no cap space.  They will be coaching / GMing for their livelihood so I don't see someone making the right LT moves in that situation.  

4 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

It’s amazing how bad this team’s offensive stats would be if it wasn’t for 4th quarter offense down double figures.  The only time they can move the ball is when opposing defenses get passive.

I have never seen a more futile 3rd quarter team - like ever.  And you are right - take away the 4th quarter and this has to be like the worst offense in NFL history through 3 quarters (if you just prorated those 3 quarters into a full game.  

I know this is sacrilege around these parts......but Mack has not been the same guy that the Bears traded for the last two years. He got really old really fast. He was great in 2018, and hasn't been the same since. I think a lot of the decline of the defense from being an elite unit to just a very good one has to do with Mack falling halfway off a cliff. He's now just a good pass rusher, and nowhere near elite. 

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I know this is sacrilege around these parts......but Mack has not been the same guy that the Bears traded for the last two years. He got really old really fast. He was great in 2018, and hasn't been the same since. I think a lot of the decline of the defense from being an elite unit to just a very good one has to do with Mack falling halfway off a cliff. He's now just a good pass rusher, and nowhere near elite. 

Not sacrilege. I have been ripping on Mack for 1.5 seasons at this point.  If I could trade him for anything close to the package they gave up, I would do it.  

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Not sacrilege. I have been ripping on Mack for 1.5 seasons at this point.  If I could trade him for anything close to the package they gave up, I would do it.  

Shit, I don't even think they could anything for him at this point. 

I've been ripping on him since about week 10 last year. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

As a non-Bears fan, Mack isn't the problem. It's the schemes. If the Bears had an offense that was even league average, Pagano would rightfully be getting ripped. He sucked as a head coach and I'm afraid he was better at that than he is as a DC. Packers don't deal with the blitz well, so what does Pagano do? Run a bend, don't break defense which is what you do if you have bad defense, not an elite one (before he took over).

4 minutes ago, nitetrain8601 said:

As a non-Bears fan, Mack isn't the problem. It's the schemes. If the Bears had an offense that was even league average, Pagano would rightfully be getting ripped. He sucked as a head coach and I'm afraid he was better at that than he is as a DC. Packers don't deal with the blitz well, so what does Pagano do? Run a bend, don't break defense which is what you do if you have bad defense, not an elite one (before he took over).

I think Pagano is an issue as well, but.....Fangio did a lot of the same stuff because the 4 men could get to the QB back in 2018. Now that Mack doesn't command the same attention, they can't get pressure on the QB with 4 men like they used to. 

Pagano is way too passive for my tastes. He just sits back in coverage all of the time. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think Pagano is an issue as well, but.....Fangio did a lot of the same stuff because the 4 men could get to the QB back in 2018. Now that Mack doesn't command the same attention, they can't get pressure on the QB with 4 men like they used to. 

I don't know, it's just something I see. Pagano runs a scheme (and has done this since he got to Chicago) as if he doesn't have much defensive talent and safeguards against the homerun plays. He's driving a Maserati as if he's in a Hyundai.