NFL Thread 2020-2021

bmags

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

Plus - if they can get a good lt and Mitch still is meh - than you have a good oline for whatever qb you insert in. Whether a veteran or a draft pick - that oline will be an asset if you can build it. Crazy that any of us are saying Bears aren’t a lot away from having a good oline - no one would have said that Sox weeks ago. 

Yes this too.

If the last five drafts have anyone feeling confident that they know what kind of QB succeeds, I’d like to hear it.

Nobody was trashed more than Allen. Jackson was rooted for but was crapped on for his games against top competition. Darnold was prototypical. Winston was one of the best prospects of the decade.

I have no idea. But I saw Wentz go from MVP behind one of the best olines in the league to bust as they fell apart with injuries. I really don’t want to see Dak behind bears oline, I like him too much. (Jk I’d love dak on bears)

So yeah if we are late half of first let’s build out oline, secondary and find the rest.

4 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Ron Rivera said gtfoh

I respect Ron a lot for how they handled this. I would also say this pick is a true definition of a bust. Maybe Haskins benefits from a change of scenery but talk about an awful pick for Skins. I feel same way about Tua - who looks pretty mediocre for Dolphins. Good thing phins have that Texans pick. 

Hurts looks better than Tua as does Herbert. Herbert hasn’t been as great late but his arm talent is special. 

12 hours ago, Soxfest said:

If Bears lose Sunday they should clean house, it’s put up or shut time.

One big and obvious decision is Mitch. It is obvious he is not going to be a standout quarterback. At best, if he stops some of those stupid passes, he can be a quarterback who can manage a game. He can even make some plays when he gets out of the pocket. But is this enough? Will the organization ever be able to build a team around him, or is it time to face facts and move in an entirely different direction?

5 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

One big and obvious decision is Mitch. It is obvious he is not going to be a standout quarterback. At best, if he stops some of those stupid passes, he can be a quarterback who can manage a game. He can even make some plays when he gets out of the pocket. But is this enough? Will the organization ever be able to build a team around him, or is it time to face facts and move in an entirely different direction?

The issue is what is that direction?  Do they mortgage the future to trade up with the Bengals to get the next Dewayne Haskins?  Moving on from Mitch is a lot easier said than done.

8 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

The issue is what is that direction?  Do they mortgage the future to trade up with the Bengals to get the next Dewayne Haskins?  Moving on from Mitch is a lot easier said than done.

Couldn’t they just draft a tackle and find their Jalen Hurts in the second round?

3 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Wait, I don’t get it. Mitch is Rodgers and Rodgers is Cutler?

No.  If only haha.  In 2010 the Packers had a game at home in week 17 against the Bears that they had to win to make the playoffs.  They went on to beat the Bears twice in four weeks to then win the Super Bowl.

3 hours ago, soulfly said:

No.  If only haha.  In 2010 the Packers had a game at home in week 17 against the Bears that they had to win to make the playoffs.  They went on to beat the Bears twice in four weeks to then win the Super Bowl.

Still don’t get it. So you’re thinking the Bears are on the verge of winning out?

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I get it. Philly is a 4 win team.  They're in a spot to be able to find that out.  Do you think a 2nd rounder starts for the Bears next season?

I don’t know. Quarterbacks named Brady and Prescott started and they weren’t first rounders. Why not have a kick ass offensive line and a quarterback that is above average at best if you can’t get a decent one in the first round?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Beast said:

I don’t know. Quarterbacks named Brady and Prescott started and they weren’t first rounders. Why not have a kick ass offensive line and a quarterback that is above average at best if you can’t get a decent one in the first round?

Trubisky has a far better chance of being above avg next year than a 2nd rounder does so why not build the best team around him as possible.  Draft O-line in the 1st and 2nd.  If they want a QB to develop take one in the 4th or 5th.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Trubisky has a far better chance of being above avg next year than a 2nd rounder does so why not build the best team around him as possible.  Draft O-line in the 1st and 2nd.  If they want a QB to develop take one in the 4th or 5th.

I could be sold on that idea, but tell that to the fans who want someone different in there.

2 hours ago, The Beast said:

I could be sold on that idea, but tell that to the fans who want someone different in there.

You need to start investing in QB though. Just like Packers have done over years. Brunel, Aaron Brooks, Rodgers, Love, etc. 

packers missed with Huntley but that is fine - try. Eagles took a shot on Hurts when they thought they had their guy in Wentz. Now Hurts might be the guy - if they are right - great for them - if not, missed 2nd round pick not the end of the world. 

Decent shot Florida QB is there in 2nd round - if you like him, take a shot at him. You can’t find a qb if you don’t acquire them (free agency / draft). 

19 hours ago, The Beast said:

This. 100% this.

4 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

You need to start investing in QB though. Just like Packers have done over years. Brunel, Aaron Brooks, Rodgers, Love, etc. 

packers missed with Huntley but that is fine - try. Eagles took a shot on Hurts when they thought they had their guy in Wentz. Now Hurts might be the guy - if they are right - great for them - if not, missed 2nd round pick not the end of the world. 

Decent shot Florida QB is there in 2nd round - if you like him, take a shot at him. You can’t find a qb if you don’t acquire them (free agency / draft). 

To be honest, with how many good QB prospects there are in this draft it’s almost unacceptable for the Bears not to select one unless they are going to fully commit to Mitch.  And given we declined his 5th year option, I’m quite terrified at what it would take to bring him back.  Mitch has looked better as of late, but will he ever be good enough to take us to the promised land without an elite defense?  I don’t see that in him at all.