NFL Thread 2020-2021

bmags

20 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To be honest, with how many good QB prospects there are in this draft it’s almost unacceptable for the Bears not to select one unless they are going to fully commit to Mitch.  And given we declined his 5th year option, I’m quite terrified at what it would take to bring him back.  Mitch has looked better as of late, but will he ever be good enough to take us to the promised land without an elite defense?  I don’t see that in him at all.

I would be shocked if the team doesn’t draft a qb in first 3 rounds (with or without Mitch coming back). Let the draft pick be the 3rd stringer behind Foles and Mitch if he is here and just absorb for a period of time. Than decide in future. You can still draft another one the following year with a higher pick too - no issue to me. 

Beastly said it best - invest in the lines and position this team well but don’t be afraid to take some shots at QB along the way as well. 

If it isn’t Mitch - I am going after Winston and letting him Foles and the draft pick app compete. Maybe Winston grew from his time with Payton and if not oh well test the young draft pick and see what you have. 

Only reason I keep Foles in these scenarios is I figure Bears are stuck with him and that is bad from a cap perspective but he is a good teammate and totally fine as a backup / guy to mentor a young QB. 

My expectation is Mitch will be back too. Even if they miss the playoffs (which is what I expect - but hey you never know and I’d love to see Mitch ball out against the Packers (win or lose). 

I find it hard to make these decisions in the abstract. Bears should definitely be scouting oline, but is this a good oline draft? Do we need it in first round?

Theres going to be a lot of QBs in first round. Hard to make a call for me until we see position and players but I do agree the fastest way to average production out of bears QBs is thru the oline. 

7 hours ago, bmags said:

I find it hard to make these decisions in the abstract. Bears should definitely be scouting oline, but is this a good oline draft? Do we need it in first round?

Theres going to be a lot of QBs in first round. Hard to make a call for me until we see position and players but I do agree the fastest way to average production out of bears QBs is thru the oline. 

This is actually a really deep oline draft and I believe another good wide out draft class as well. Not 100 percent on wideout but have read quite a bit that this is an extremely deep oline draft and some really good top end tackles as well - albeit none projected guarantee starting left tackles where bears pick but plenty of opportunity to invest. I would be shocked if they didn’t draft a tackle early and maybe even two. Could be good draft to get another guard later as well who can develop into something but I imagine bears feel decent about where they stand at guard, especially with Daniels being back next year. 

45 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

This is actually a really deep oline draft and I believe another good wide out draft class as well. Not 100 percent on wideout but have read quite a bit that this is an extremely deep oline draft and some really good top end tackles as well - albeit none projected guarantee starting left tackles where bears pick but plenty of opportunity to invest. I would be shocked if they didn’t draft a tackle early and maybe even two. Could be good draft to get another guard later as well who can develop into something but I imagine bears feel decent about where they stand at guard, especially with Daniels being back next year. 

Not as good as last year’s insane class, but this should be a really good draft for WRs.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Not as good as last year’s insane class, but this should be a really good draft for WRs.

Don't sleep on Terrace Marshall with the Bears 1st if they let Robinson get away. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

53 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Don't sleep on Terrace Marshall with the Bears 1st if they let Robinson get away. 

If we don’t draft a QB in the 1st, we should be prioritizing O-Line above all else.  Definitely need WR help though, but should be able to get a nice talent in the 2nd and possibly 3rd if need be.

8 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

I don’t want to draft a 1st round WR ever again.  Just lineman, offensive and defensive,  1st 2 rounds, every year, forever.  

Let’s just dominate the trenches no matter what 

Same.

First rounds are for corners, lineman and if applicable - QB.

This is especially true in the teens as I care less if they picked a WR at like 30

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If we don’t draft a QB in the 1st, we should be prioritizing O-Line above all else.  Definitely need WR help though, but should be able to get a nice talent in the 2nd and possibly 3rd if need be.

On this we agree. Nothing will change until they improve at tackle. A WR wont make a difference if they QB is running for his life all the time.

• Like 2

This wildcard seeding is so weird. Check this out:

6th place: Rams (9-6) NFC West

7th place: Bears (8-7) NFC North

Outside looking in: Cardinals (8-7) NFC West

So the Bears are currently in over the Cardinals due to the fact they have better record vs common opponents. So lots of scenarios could play out tomorrow with seeding, but I think this is the weirdest one:

If the Bears beat Green Bay, and the Cardinals beat LA, all 3 teams would be 9-7, but only 2 spots can be held. So, the first tie-breaker employed would go between the 2 teams in the same division, and Arizona would win the tiebreaker over the Rams due to having a better record vs NFC West opponents. The next tiebreaker between AZ and the. Bears would go to the Bears, since they haven't played eachother but the Bears have a better record vs common opponents.

So in that scenario, the Bears would have the 6th seed, Cardinals would have the 7th seed, Rams would be out, even though they beat the Bears earlier in the season and have a better overall conference record than both teams. 

Sunday should be fun to watch! I'm having a few friends over to watch the Bears Packers game (he's a Packer fan)...I'm expecting a Bears loss but at least hoping for it to be entertaining.

Edited by ScooterMcGee

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So any way for the Bears to make Wentz work?

All things being equal, I'd rather have Trubisky than Wentz, but if Trubisky won't take a 2 year deal and Wentz would, then yes, try to make him work while you try to build a better offensive line.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So any way for the Bears to make Wentz work?

Under this salary cap?

Sure, I suppose if you cut enough salary, the bears could fit Wentz into the roster. Of course, a Wentz-led team would probably be undermanned and underwhelming. 

And then Wentz would get hurt. Again.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I could be wrong, but I believe Wentz is basically untradable cap wise for the Eagles next year.

Its pretty damn hard. Bears would need to be able to absorb all of it and not send any salary back because Philly has to swallow the signing bonuses

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Pagano should be fired after this season. Just awful. 

He has good defensive numbers because he has a good (albeit declining) defense but he’s a paint by numbers guy that adds nothing.