NFL Thread 2020-2021

bmags

7 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Foles is under contract for next year. Even if you don’t draft or sign a QB, there is no value of keeping Trubisky around. There is also little cap room left, they could restructure a bunch of guys, or even trade Hicks or Mack, but even then, they need to be spending money to identify guys they could develop and build around in the long term.

Can Foles be cut? I don't know how contracts work and all that.

2 hours ago, fathom said:

Making playoffs really was such a bad result for this regime 

Honestly - if I am the bears ownership - this might have done everyone in. This was a bad showing. I expected to lose and badly but I expected the team to score. The good news is the last 2 weeks should be a good reminder of how far removed this team is from the better teams and Mitch is clearly going to head elsewhere. 

I assume Bears will look at Wentz, Winston or D’Arnold and also look at potentially using a 1st or 2nd on a qb as well. 

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Thank you Steelers for reminding me it could always be worse. Man - from undefeated deep into season to total collapse. 

The Steelers seemed like a better version of this year's Bears honestly. Better defense, slightly better QB play, and no running game. The Bears at least found a run game late in the season, but the Steelers regressed heavily as the season went on. 

3 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

How is Nagy allowed to comeback next year?

Who would you rather see instead for GM and head coach? He’s probably back because of the amount of openings around the league.

3 hours ago, fathom said:

Can barely get a first down in a playoff game

So is Nagy or his OC calling the plays? Trubisky and the offensive players might not be getting it done, no?

3 hours ago, Saufley said:

Yes sir! Pace and the coaching staff deserves to be removed. Tonight!

Ha! And what are two names you would rather see as GM and Head Coach? Let’s hear them.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

And for as much as certain bears Twitter personalities are raging on Mitch - yeah. Mitch sucks.

But the rams with a backup QB and Redskins with Taylor heinicke showed much better offensively.

Even bad QB teams can put together better offenses than Nagy can. And his distraction players he’s asked for have already been moved out of the rotation (Patterson).

Hes clueless offensively. Absolutely clueless.

So the offense from 2018 has no shot at coming back? How many injuries did they have this year? It was a different team, I don’t know that they could have gotten better results with what they had, even though I was intrigued by Ridley late and wondered if he was slower than Wims which is why he didn’t play until late since they needed Wims for the long ball.

3 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I disagree. This embarrassing performance leaves no doubt that Pace/Nagy/Trubisky should be gone next year.

What two names do you want to see to replace Pace and Nagy?

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

My takeaway is definitely Nagy. They didn't allow Trubisky to be bad. They didn't allow him to do anything .

Who would you replace Nagy and presumably Pace with? What two names?

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We aren’t winning shit in the next two years, so why not start the rebuilding process?  Let Mitch go and give some other reclamation project like Winston a shot while also throwing a pick at a QB.  Until we get a legit QB nothing else matters.

Seems to me they have been constantly rebuilding, so why dismantle now? Fire sales don’t always work in the NFL. Retooling might be better.

2 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

You want to watch this atrocity for 2 more years?

Mitch is what he is at this point, ever since the second half of Nagy’s first year, this team has been struggling to score with him at QB. It’s time to move on.

Yes I fucking do. Much rather this then a team like they had in 2015 and 2016.

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don’t - I do what the Titans did a few years ago and blow this up. 

What specifically would be the plan and who are the two names to replace Nagy and Pace?

18 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Who would you rather see instead for GM and head coach? He’s probably back because of the amount of openings around the league.

So is Nagy or his OC calling the plays? Trubisky and the offensive players might not be getting it done, no?

Ha! And what are two names you would rather see as GM and Head Coach? Let’s hear them.

So the offense from 2018 has no shot at coming back? How many injuries did they have this year? It was a different team, I don’t know that they could have gotten better results with what they had, even though I was intrigued by Ridley late and wondered if he was slower than Wims which is why he didn’t play until late since they needed Wims for the long ball.

Seems to me they have been constantly rebuilding, so why dismantle now? Fire sales don’t always work in the NFL. Retooling might be better.

What specifically would be the plan and who are the two names to replace Nagy and Pace?

Uh, are you related to either Pace or Nagy? Also pretty funny you use 2015/2016 as examples when we basically are getting worse offensive production and stupider penalties with better talent on the roster currently.

30 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I want Smith as president and the Steelers guy as GM. I can live with Nagy if those two are good with him. I also am okay with Riddick as one of the guys as well. 

Haven’t paid a lot of attention to the coaching candidates, but I would be open to Todd Bowles getting another shot. I’d have to do a bit more research. I also like the KC OC (yes I actually would not be afraid to try another KC OC). 

Probably not interested in a college coach. Shaw went out of favor a few years back but I always liked his style for an NFC North team. 

I think unlikely bears spend that much money though so probably most realistic is another year of Nagy with new front office (including president) to make decisions. I should note - Nagy frustrates me a lot - but I also like how team has bounced back from adversity at times through him. Just hate how bad our offense has been under him. 

42 minutes ago, The Beast said:

So how about you answer a question. 

You don’t want a rebuild. You want everyone back. Fine. What can this team realistically do the next two years? How do they compete for a Super Bowl in the next two years? Lay it out for us. 

Because If they can’t, blow it up now. Why wait two years?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Uh, are you related to either Pace or Nagy? Also pretty funny you use 2015/2016 as examples when we basically are getting worse offensive production and stupider penalties with better talent on the roster currently.

No I’m not, I don’t think Nagy is necessarily the problem. There is more of an argument for Pace to go or get kicked up to another role in the organization and have Mike Borganzi be the GM instead. I am pointing out 2015 and 2016 as years where they were rebuilding. People really want them to tank and be that bad again?

Watching the game today I saw more of a talent problem than Nagy as the problem. Mitch is a part of it, not dissecting defenses properly. They were also short on starters with Johnson, Skrine, Mooney and Smith out. The offense is sputtering, no doubt, but I see it as more of a personnel problem. 

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I want Smith as president and the Steelers guy as GM. I can live with Nagy if those two are good with him. I also am okay with Riddick as one of the guys as well. 

Haven’t paid a lot of attention to the coaching candidates, but I would be open to Todd Bowles getting another shot. I’d have to do a bit more research. I also like the KC OC (yes I actually would not be afraid to try another KC OC). 

I’d be fine with those guys or Borganzi as GM and kicking Pace up in the organization somewhere or firing him and bringing any ones we are discussing in. I see lots of Bears fans saying they want Pace and Nagy gone but have no names for who should come in. A problem the Bears will have is the number of openings across the league and they would be behind in interviewing and competing for those they would hire.

This was also a down year with injuries and players like Goldman opting out. The glaring depth issues they had were also very evident over the last two weeks. With some changes to personnel, drafting OL high, quarterbacks like Trask in the second round and hitting on more players through the draft (along with firs round picks since they don’t owe anything else for Mack) or free agency I think they could be better.

15 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Probably not interested in a college coach. Shaw went out of favor a few years back but I always liked his style for an NFC North team. 

I think unlikely bears spend that much money though so probably most realistic is another year of Nagy with new front office (including president) to make decisions. I should note - Nagy frustrates me a lot - but I also like how team has bounced back from adversity at times through him. Just hate how bad our offense has been under him. 

What happens to Phillips if thye go with a new president.

I want Pace to get a football minded boss.

Just now, Tony said:

So how about you answer a question. 

You don’t want a rebuild. You want everyone back. Fine. What can this team realistically do the next two years? How do they compete for a Super Bowl in the next two years? Lay it out for us. 

Because If they can’t, blow it up now. Why wait two years?

Trubisky walks. Borganzi hired, Pace out, Phillips is kicked to an office somewhere on the business side, Nagy has a year before the GM decides what to do. 

See what happens with the salary cap. Bears decide to cut wherever necessary - Graham, Massie, Leno, Skrine. Consider trading Hicks or Fuller. Keep Mack and Quinn (they could cut him in 2022 and eat the dead money). See if Robinson is your guy or not or go get someone like Godwin. Draft offensive line first, quarterback or replacement for Hicks or Fuller second. Sign someone to compete with Foles and start that person.

To me, that is more of a retooling than a rebuild. I am banking on this plan being more that this year was a down year and the defense will return and the offense finds its form. Like I said, I think a lot of Bears fans (not necessarily here) can easily complain and say fire Nagy and Pace but have no solutions. 

7 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

What happens to Phillips if thye go with a new president.

I want Pace to get a football minded boss.

Put him in a business office somewhere, he’s more of an accountant isn’t he? One of the guys Jason suggested would be great but I also would like to see Borganzi get a shot.

56 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Trubisky walks. Borganzi hired, Pace out, Phillips is kicked to an office somewhere on the business side, Nagy has a year before the GM decides what to do. 

See what happens with the salary cap. Bears decide to cut wherever necessary - Graham, Massie, Leno, Skrine. Consider trading Hicks or Fuller. Keep Mack and Quinn (they could cut him in 2022 and eat the dead money). See if Robinson is your guy or not or go get someone like Godwin. Draft offensive line first, quarterback or replacement for Hicks or Fuller second. Sign someone to compete with Foles and start that person.

To me, that is more of a retooling than a rebuild. I am banking on this plan being more that this year was a down year and the defense will return and the offense finds its form. Like I said, I think a lot of Bears fans (not necessarily here) can easily complain and say fire Nagy and Pace but have no solutions. 

So your plan is to let Trubisky walk, yet quoted my post to disagree with my point of letting Trubisky walk? Point is Trubisky may be a good kid and handled himself like a pro, but he has no business being back next year. Move on.

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

Your solution involved signing a starting QB, that doesn’t have a name. That sort of seems like the easy way out without offering a solution to me....

I mean regardless next year will be brutal. There is really nothing the next admin could do aside from gobble up all the signing bonuses with dead cap and get kicked in the teeth next year. There are no trades or cuts that don't take huge sums of a quinn, etc.

12 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Bears down by 4 with plenty of time at the end of the 1st half 3 straight runs. NO up by 18, 7 minutes left in the game and still throwing it.

This just shows that the coach had no confidence in his offense and in his quarterback. So why should that quarterback return? Why should the coach return?

The first thing the Bears need to do is get a legit President of Football Operations.  Ted Phillips may be a great business guy, but it’s insulting for him to have any say in our football hires.  Pace & Nagy need to go, but I want this new President finding their replacements. 

In terms of the roster, I’d use 2021 as a reset year and try my best to improve our long-term cap situation.  I would definitely let Mitch go and try to bring in a replacement with some potential to pull a Tannehill like Jameis Winston.  In the draft, I’d probably target OT at #20 and then WR in the 2nd given the deepness of this WR class.  I’d then try to get a high-upside project QB prospect like Jamie Newman in the 3rd that can spend a few years developing before Winston.  Reevaluate where things after the 2021 season, but continue to invest in the line and QB positions at the top of the draft and start adding some youth to the defense in the middle & bottom rounds.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

The first thing the Bears need to do is get a legit President of Football Operations.  Ted Phillips may be a great business guy, but it’s insulting for him to have any say in our football hires.  Pace & Nagy need to go, but I want this new President finding their replacements. 

In terms of the roster, I’d use 2021 as a reset year and try my best to improve our long-term cap situation.  I would definitely let Mitch go and try to bring in a replacement with some potential to pull a Tannehill like Jameis Winston.  In the draft, I’d probably target OT at #20 and then WR in the 2nd given the deepness of this WR class.  I’d then try to get a high-upside project QB prospect like Jamie Newman in the 3rd that can spend a few years developing before Winston.  Reevaluate where things after the 2021 season, but continue to invest in the line and QB positions at the top of the draft and start adding some youth to the defense in the middle & bottom rounds.

One thing that really bums me out no matter which way we go - if we fire them are we going to get the 10th best candidates? We have by far the worst situation. The benefit of a president is hopefully they give them a longer term deal. 

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

One thing that really bums me out no matter which way we go - if we fire them are we going to get the 10th best candidates? We have by far the worst situation. The benefit of a president is hopefully they give them a longer term deal. 

Which may means keeping them for a year and trying to be the first in line next offseason.  As long as we have a President in place to help drive near-term personnel decisions while also developing a long-term plan, I could live with those two as lame ducks for a year.