NFL Thread 2020-2021

bmags

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

“After care evaluation, we felt that a return to playoffs and a highly competitive first half of yesterday’s game signaled a step in the right direction for this franchise, we’ve decided to bring back all of our personnel for next season.”

5 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Sources indicate they settled on Lou Malnati's after seriously considering Giordano's.

Those Twitter accounts haven't speculated yet on the White Sox offseason, the bears front office has determined

I'm going to guess Bears go with status quo but new president/football guy in charge....give him a year to get lay of the land and start to lay out LT strategy (with or without Pace and/or Nagy). In reality - it is probably best any Bear fan could expect knowing how expensive it would be to entirely clean house. You just have to hope whomever they identify for that job is really really good and he can go find really good people.  

I would hope if that was there plan - they have already a really good framework in place, but you do wonder if last week against Packers and this game against Saints potentially drove increased conversation to maybe shift that plan a bit more.  

I'm not in a huge hurry with Nagy - because I don't think he is a Trestman like coach. Meaning, I do think Nagy can win with talent. Is he the best coach in the league, no, but I don't think he's a clown car of a coach like Trestman either.  

With Pace - there are a lot of good - but man he has had some really big misses.  

• Like 1

Nagy is meh but if he's a placeholder while they get someone new at the top, that's fine. Pace absolutely deserves to go imo, but again, if they need him as a placeholder for a year given how many buyers are on the market this year, ok. The next several years of Bears football are going to be pretty dire no matter what.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I'm going to guess Bears go with status quo but new president/football guy in charge....give him a year to get lay of the land and start to lay out LT strategy (with or without Pace and/or Nagy). In reality - it is probably best any Bear fan could expect knowing how expensive it would be to entirely clean house. You just have to hope whomever they identify for that job is really really good and he can go find really good people.  

I would hope if that was there plan - they have already a really good framework in place, but you do wonder if last week against Packers and this game against Saints potentially drove increased conversation to maybe shift that plan a bit more.  

I'm not in a huge hurry with Nagy - because I don't think he is a Trestman like coach. Meaning, I do think Nagy can win with talent. Is he the best coach in the league, no, but I don't think he's a clown car of a coach like Trestman either.  

With Pace - there are a lot of good - but man he has had some really big misses.  

Disagree on Pace.

He has made 3 bad decisions at QB. Drafting Mitch over Mahomes/Watson, 2) Glennon and 3) trading for Foles.

How can you allow him any input on picking arguably the most important position when he has been a disaster at it.

10 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Disagree on Pace.

He has made 3 bad decisions at QB. Drafting Mitch over Mahomes/Watson, 2) Glennon and 3) trading for Foles.

How can you allow him any input on picking arguably the most important position when he has been a disaster at it.

I largely agree with you on Pace. I do think he was very proactive in building state of the art facilities, managing COVID with protocols, significantly enhancing the strength & development programs, etc.  He also has had some good draft picks - but to your point he has had some massive bust FA signings and completely failed at the QB position (under essentially every angle).  It is those reasons why if I were in charge, I would move away from him. I just don't know that the McCaskey's will do it - I do expect they will bring in a new football guy though (the only question is, will Pace still be there or are they going to move Pace into a president role or will Pace report into this new guy).  

I don't know that answer but am curious.  Total status quo would be odd. I'm not even thinking about the coaching staff. I don't like Pagano but if Nagy moves on from him, they are likely not going to get some solid electric DC hire (given Nagy being on the hotseat).  

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I largely agree with you on Pace. I do think he was very proactive in building state of the art facilities, managing COVID with protocols, significantly enhancing the strength & development programs, etc.  He also has had some good draft picks - but to your point he has had some massive bust FA signings and completely failed at the QB position (under essentially every angle).  It is those reasons why if I were in charge, I would move away from him. I just don't know that the McCaskey's will do it - I do expect they will bring in a new football guy though (the only question is, will Pace still be there or are they going to move Pace into a president role or will Pace report into this new guy).  

I don't know that answer but am curious.  Total status quo would be odd. I'm not even thinking about the coaching staff. I don't like Pagano but if Nagy moves on from him, they are likely not going to get some solid electric DC hire (given Nagy being on the hotseat).  

I do not see being Pace being promoted but this is the Bears.   

3 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I do not see being Pace being promoted but this is the Bears.   

My preference is Rick Smith (former Houston Texans guy). He seemed to do a real good job, has ample experience, and I think would be the right role to evaluate the org and than come up with a decision. Ideally you pair him with someone like Shah from Steelers org or the Chiefs guy, etc.  I dont' know the Bears will go to that extreme - but I would be pretty open to that.  

8 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Foles is 100% on Nagy.  That was his guy.  That's the guy he wanted to run his offense. He couldn't put him in fast enough and kept him in there too long despite the fact that it was obvious to everyone he can't play dead.  If his hand picked guy can't run his offense how can anyone?

This is where it's hard to pick one over the other. 

The bears offense lacked talent. But we've also seen talent leave and perform much better on other squads. My fav example is Mike Davis, obviously, but he truly looked awful on the Bears, and he was a pretty damn good "Christian McCaffrey-lite" on the panthers.

Foles looked horrendous in an offense ostensibly built for him. But then he was playing behind an offensive line that had detioriated because Pace needed to supplement other parts of the roster in worse shape.

Overall, it gets down to the fact that when Pace made that trade for Trubisky, hired Nagy, and traded for Mack, it was an "all-in" move that didn't work out. Well, you busted and have to go home.

But for the ownership, they have to figure out if it's possible to build some stability because they've tried 3 different coaches and GMs in the 2010s and they all didn't work out.

5 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Pace and Nagy need a football guy to oversee them.  Neither had any experience in their roles when they were hired.  Bring in someone to make certain they do not continue to make the same mistakes. 

If they need a "football person" to oversee them they are already failures, they both should have been gone this morning already

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

My preference is Rick Smith (former Houston Texans guy). He seemed to do a real good job, has ample experience, and I think would be the right role to evaluate the org and than come up with a decision. Ideally you pair him with someone like Shah from Steelers org or the Chiefs guy, etc.  I dont' know the Bears will go to that extreme - but I would be pretty open to that.  

This this this. For Bears, I really hope if they did move they had made feelers. But Smith, Khan, Dorsey, and even eliot wolf all would have my ears up.

Just now, bmags said:

The bears offense lacked talent. But we've also seen talent leave and perform much better on other squads. My fav example is Mike Davis, obviously, but he truly looked awful on the Bears, and he was a pretty damn good "Christian McCaffrey-lite" on the panthers.

Foles looked horrendous in an offense ostensibly built for him. But then he was playing behind an offensive line that had detioriated because Pace needed to supplement other parts of the roster in worse shape.

Overall, it gets down to the fact that when Pace made that trade for Trubisky, hired Nagy, and traded for Mack, it was an "all-in" move that didn't work out. Well, you busted and have to go home.

But for the ownership, they have to figure out if it's possible to build some stability because they've tried 3 different coaches and GMs in the 2010s and they all didn't work out.

It's too convoluted to not consider them a duo, either they both get another year or you let both go. Having 1 or the other stick around benefits the Bears the least I think

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bmags said:

Really good post - I agree with it all. I also agree with you on need for stability.  

15 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Well how about that.. accountability. Won Super Bowl in '17, Beat the Bears in '18, fired after 2020. 

If Pace (and Nagy) still keeps his job, it'll be an absolute joke.

Technically from all the reports out there, something went horribly wrong in exit interviews with Pederson and ownership. This isn't about accountability - there was an obvious disagreement on what next year was going to look like and the plan changed (cause Pederson was going to be kept). It sounds like Philly's whole situation is a pretty big mess and is probably one of the few jobs in maybe a worse spot than the Bears (or at least a similar spot - depending on your views of Wentz/Hurts).  

Just now, SoxAce said:

Bingo.

Again.....the Bears situation just isn't complicated. I know they are # 1 in this town and sports radio can't keep saying the same thing over and over.....but Pace built this entire window around the idea they have a high-priced defense with a QB on a rookie deal....that's how you make this work 2018-2021. It didn't. They picked the wrong guy with the No. 2 overall pick. 

For the 100th time....when you go all-in and bust out....you have to leave the table. 

• Like 2