NFL Thread 2020-2021

bmags

1 hour ago, nitetrain8601 said:

I see a lot of Mack slander and it doesn't make sense. The guy consistently demands double teams and lets the line go to work. In a bad scheme at that. I think the Bears making the right decision at DC is almost as important as the QB situation.

With that stated, only trade of Mack that makes sense is for Watson.

I would be trading Mack for draft picks.  I think Pagano probably didn't use him as well as he should be, but I think the Bears need more assets to solve QB and Line and Mack could be a way to accelerate that. I was thinking it is unlikely you get a 1st rounder this year - but if you could get a 2nd rounder this year and a 1st next year - I am on board.  

As much as I would like to get Watson from the Texans (and this is coming from someone who thinks Watson is probably a bit over-rated...but obviously still is a franchise QB - no doubt about that)....I don't see how you do it for Mack - cause I don't think Texans have much use for Mack. So unless it is Bears dealing Mack...getting picks and than flipping them.  However - I think cap wise that becomes a disaster (at least for 21).  

26 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I would be trading Mack for draft picks.  I think Pagano probably didn't use him as well as he should be, but I think the Bears need more assets to solve QB and Line and Mack could be a way to accelerate that. I was thinking it is unlikely you get a 1st rounder this year - but if you could get a 2nd rounder this year and a 1st next year - I am on board.  

As much as I would like to get Watson from the Texans (and this is coming from someone who thinks Watson is probably a bit over-rated...but obviously still is a franchise QB - no doubt about that)....I don't see how you do it for Mack - cause I don't think Texans have much use for Mack. So unless it is Bears dealing Mack...getting picks and than flipping them.  However - I think cap wise that becomes a disaster (at least for 21).  

Pagano didn't use the defense in general as he should have and in turn, tanked most of their value. I've said it so many countless times, he coached like he had no playmakers on defense when he certainly did. Mack is a huge reason why Hicks looks so damn dominant. You take him away, see how teams double down on Mack.

The only player who legit looked bad out there (not due to scheme) was Eddie Jackson. The guy made a lot of boneheaded decisions on the field. Even then, some of that could be a result of coaching. 

If I'm selling on defense (unless you can do Mack and a pick for Watson), I'm selling Eddie Jackson, Hicks, Fuller in that order. Trevathan looks done, but that's more age and wear and tear. Mack's best value still comes from being on the Bears. Pace has to do better at asset management. Mack is an asset. Selling him and getting a lower ROI than you would get from keeping him is doing the same type of crap again. 

46 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Yeah, I'm afraid this is a pipedream.

Mack will be 30 years old next season, coming off two consecutive single-digit-sack years, and with an accumulation of injuries.

His cap hit will be $26.6MM, in a year when the salary cap will be going down.

Should the Bears look to trade Mack, they will either have to send a significant amount of money to get a middling asset in return. OR, get nothing in exchange for salary cap relief.

That said, there's no freakin way the Bears will get even one high round pick for Mack, given his age, his injuries, his declining production, and his obese contract, IMO.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

26 minutes ago, nitetrain8601 said:

If I'm selling on defense (unless you can do Mack and a pick for Watson), I'm selling Eddie Jackson, Hicks, Fuller in that order. Trevathan looks done, but that's more age and wear and tear.

I think you're gonna have to see more than one from this group have to go, just to get under the cap.

For my money, I'd rather sell Hicks first, because he's getting older, and there are Nichols and Goldman at that position. I think it would be easier to sell Fuller, as his performance hasn't fallen off a cliff, & Fullers cap hit isn't as obnoxious as Jacksons. (At least, relative to their positions.)

Then, I think you're looking at Graham, and a few O-Linemen being gone, and maybe Robinson could then be retained as well.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Yeah, I'm afraid this is a pipedream.

Mack will be 30 years old next season, coming off two consecutive single-digit-sack years, and with an accumulation of injuries.

His cap hit will be $26.6MM, in a year when the salary cap will be going down.

Should the Bears look to trade Mack, they will either have to send a significant amount of money to get a middling asset in return. OR, get nothing in exchange for salary cap relief.

That said, there's no freakin way the Bears will get even one high round pick for Mack, given his age, his injuries, his declining production, and his obese contract, IMO.

Mack's cap hit is $26.6m, but what's his salary? The salary is the thing that matters to the team acquiring him, because that's the cap hit they will have to absorb. 

The Bears would have to absorb the cap hit from combining anything they spread out into a signing bonus into a single year.

32 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Mack's cap hit is $26.6m, but what's his salary? The salary is the thing that matters to the team acquiring him, because that's the cap hit they will have to absorb. 

The Bears would have to absorb the cap hit from combining anything they spread out into a signing bonus into a single year.

Here you go:

Khalil Mack Spotrac

It looks like his salary is $17MM for 2021, with some $7MM in various bonuses. It looks like there's an out in 2022. So, maybe he's more tradeable than I initially thought.

At the end of the day, is a 30 year old Khalil Mack, who appears to be in decline both physically and performance-wise worth $17MM to the acquiring team? That is, in a year where the salary cap is going down?

OTOH, what will it take for it to be worth it for the Bears to accelerate all the bonuses against the cap?

All that considered, I still don't think that Mack will land a high-round pick in trade, let alone two.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

Henne was actually doing fine until that interception.

Browns finally have a chance to take the lead.  What a momentum shift.

KC D gets a huge stop, wise not to go on fourth down and see if they can get another miscue from Chiefs’ offense.

Edited by caulfield12

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

You’re referring to the first half?

Because the only obvious point the second half was punting there on 4th and 9.

And letting Chad Henne of all people get out of contain in a third and really long situation.

He didn't challenge a play that wasn't a catch earlier in the game. He also then challenged the Hill catch which cost him a timeout. Then after intercepting Henne in the endzone it seemed very clear that they wanted to bleed the clock and have that be the last possession if they could. Played really slow (to where they had to blow another timeout) and was trying to run and throw short passes. Backfired badly.

They also won the coin toss and deferred, which had them playing from behind the whole game. A team like the browns that can run the ball that well doesn't want to play from behind.

Edited by Boogua

3 minutes ago, Boogua said:

He didn't challenge a play that wasn't a catch earlier in the game. He also then challenged the Hill catch which cost him a timeout. Then after intercepting Henne in the endzone it seemed very clear that they wanted to bleed the clock and have that be the last possession if they could. Played really slow (to where they had to blow another timeout) and was trying to run and throw short passes. Backfired badly.

I think you mean that ball over towards the right sideline?

Yeah, that last offensive series was quite strange...maybe if Hunt catches the ball in rhythm he picks up 3-4 more yards, but Mayfield had the hot hand and was converting in every 3rd or 4th down situation.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

I think you mean that ball over towards the right sideline?

Yeah, that last offensive series was quite strange...maybe if Hunt catches the ball in rhythm he picks up 3-4 more yards, but Mayfield had the hot hand and was converting in every 3rd or 4th down situation.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2021/01/kevin-stefanski-browns-mistakes-criticism-chiefs-afc-playoffs

14 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Don't let the door hit you on the way out Brees...

Arm's shot AND can't see the field any more.  Stayed one year too long.  The only guy watching the play on that one pick was the LB.

Edited by Stinky Stanky

1 hour ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Arm's shot AND can't see the field any more.  Stayed one year too long.  The only guy watching the play on that one pick was the LB.

That must have been like watching the Iowa Hawkeyes on offense for the better part of two decades (except on turf)...it works, to a point, but falls apart against elite athletes/higher competition.

Short passes like that can work if you have the likes of a Tyreek Hill or Kamara on the receiving end, but certainly not three interceptions.   Too many are just waiting to jump those shorter routes on him now.

13 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Don't let the door hit you on the way out Brees...

Really? Seems a bit snarky for someone who is one of the better human beings in the league. I’d rather be snarky towards those smug and smarmy assholes in Rodgers and Brady. I hope they get trounced by either the Bills or Chiefs.

Edited by The Beast
  • Like 1