NFL Thread 2020-2021

bmags

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

Really? Seems a bit snarky for someone who is one of the better human beings in the league. I’d rather be snarky towards those smug and smarmy assholes in Rodgers and Brady. I hope they get trounced by either the Bills or Chiefs.

I've looked at him at a different light after his comments about the flag and BLM. But no doubt he's had a hell of a career.

38 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I've looked at him at a different light after his comments about the flag and BLM. But no doubt he's had a hell of a career.

I mean he’s raised and donated millions of dollars for the New Orleans community. 🤷

Edited by ShoeLessRob

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Money isn't a substitute for decency.  Al Capone and Pablo Escobar were notoriously generous.  Pretty sure I don't want either neighbors.

Point taken. In regards to Brees I think he clarified his beliefs and opinions. Still think he’s a good man. 

The bears fandom that is anti-anti-pace/Nagy is so annoying to me right now.

Theyve gone all in on narrative that nothing matters until there is a qb, making it incredibly bizarre to me why pace and Nagy should lead that process 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

The bears fandom that is anti-anti-pace/Nagy is so annoying to me right now.

Theyve gone all in on narrative that nothing matters until there is a qb, making it incredibly bizarre to me why pace and Nagy should lead that process 

Why are these mutually exclusive?  Nothing does matter until we have a QB and Nagy / Pace should not be the ones to lead that process.

6 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Yea, Singletary is a relic of another nfl age.  I think I'm good 

Yeah - I have zero interest in Singletary as a DC.  Bears D staff is about to get raided.  That said - the former Arizona DC is at least intriguing.  

I hope it doesn't end up where the university of missouri hired a better DC candidate than the bears.

OTOH I would not take the bears job unless it was my last shot. You already saw how it will be the first scapegoat of the entire org.

34 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Bears RB coach Charles London is leaving to join the Falcons. Can't blame any of these guys leaving for more secure jobs.

Ragone reportedly likely to be the next OC of Falcons. That said - Bears have a pretty solid supporting staff with Lazor and Defillipo. I truly believe both are quality coaches and guys who make QB's get better. Trubisky isn't good enough - but he was certainly a better player in 2021 than he was in 2020.  

Evidently Nagy is all in on Watson.  

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Ragone reportedly likely to be the next OC of Falcons. That said - Bears have a pretty solid supporting staff with Lazor and Defillipo. I truly believe both are quality coaches and guys who make QB's get better. Trubisky isn't good enough - but he was certainly a better player in 2021 than he was in 2020.  

Evidently Nagy is all in on Watson.  

Ragone of all people get an OC job. This surprises me. He was the "Passing game coordinator" in 2020 and the QBs coach the whole Trubisky stint. 

I can't see any way the Bears have the bullets for Watson... Even if they offer more draft picks than a team like Miami, Miami can also offer Tua and a top 5 pick. 

29 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Ragone of all people get an OC job. This surprises me. He was the "Passing game coordinator" in 2020 and the QBs coach the whole Trubisky stint. 

I can't see any way the Bears have the bullets for Watson... Even if they offer more draft picks than a team like Miami, Miami can also offer Tua and a top 5 pick. 

My crazy idea - trade Mack for some picks (I think you can get 2 2nd's). Franchise and Trade Arob (maybe you get a 2nd rounder - maybe).  Than you have some capital - not enough for a Mack - but you have enough to where you give up this years 1st, one or 2 of those 2nds, plus next years 1st and maybe that is enough.  I just don't like any scenario where we trade the next 3 years worth of 1st round picks.  

I also would probably be just as fine doing the 2 trades I reference above and just taking a swing at any of the QB's on the board and just stock up the line and wideouts and essentially build assets.  If it works - great, you got your QB and you've gotten a lot younger and while your cap looks bad this year - it will start looking pretty good a year from now.  

If the QB you took doesn't look the part - go right back at QB again (at that point - you should have an even higher pick) + cap space and with those moves whether Pace is still calling the shots or not - if you pivoted away from Nagy you should be a pretty attractive destination.  

6 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

The Bears can't trade this year's first round pick as part of a package for Watson or anybody else. It has to be used on an offensive lineman. Otherwise, things are never going to get better.

To be honest, if I’m Pace, I take the best available tackle in the 1st and target a developmental QB in the 2nd or 3rd.  I’d also be trying to blow things and improve both my chances for a high draft pick in 2022 (in hopes of landing a high-end QB prospect) and my near-term cap situation.

This is what makes me so annoyed about Pace / Nagy.

They didn't just "miss on a qb" and that's what's wrong.

We missed on a qb and have extraordinarily limited options to fix that achilles heel of an issue, that is apparently so bad it's tainting Nagy and Pace's job performance.

The Jets "missed on a QB" and are very likely able to fix that with either trading surplus picks or drafting their favorite among Wilson/Fields/the field.

The Bears can "fix" their QB problem by stripping the team down to its studs, its ability to build cheaply around him down to nothing, and give him a team marginally better than what he left.

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

This is what makes me so annoyed about Pace / Nagy.

They didn't just "miss on a qb" and that's what's wrong.

We missed on a qb and have extraordinarily limited options to fix that achilles heel of an issue, that is apparently so bad it's tainting Nagy and Pace's job performance.

The Jets "missed on a QB" and are very likely able to fix that with either trading surplus picks or drafting their favorite among Wilson/Fields/the field.

The Bears can "fix" their QB problem by stripping the team down to its studs, its ability to build cheaply around him down to nothing, and give him a team marginally better than what he left.

It is why as much as getting someone like Watson is great - I can just as well make the argument to acquire assets while taking a swing with the 1st round / 2nd round pick that we have as well and maybe doubling down and taking a shot at Winston (or whomever you think is a reclamation project - D'Arnold or Wentz would have been on my list as well). Feels like a way to approach it without completely mortgaging the future (which is the only way this team could get Watson).  

Anyone curious to see if the Bears flip to a 4-3 defense. Seems like some of the DC's they've brought in are 4-3 options and honestly - I don't know that the roster is that bad of a fit for a move to 4-3 vs. 3-4. Probably means Hicks is moved (which I love Hicks) - but he's aging and probably not someone you are going to give another contract too. I think Mack/Quinn/Roquan fit nicely in it and I think Goldman still does as well.  

It also probably is a better fit for Danny T at this point too.