NFL Thread 2020-2021

bmags

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Outside the box package for Watson: 2021 1st and 2nd,  Jaylon Johnson and Roquan Smith

I'd throw in a 2022 2nd if that wasn't enough

I think this leaves a big cap hit problem still to solve. Intriguing concept.

That FG by the Packers was such a baffling play call. You either:

• try for a TD on 4th down in the red zone and need the 2pt conversion to tie. if you fail the 2pt, you need a stop and a FG. if you fail to get the TD, you need a stop and a TD.
  • or you kick the FG, need a stop and a TD anyway

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dasox24 said:

Going to assume this was meant for @GoSox05 ... or else I majorly missed the point lol

Yes. My bad! Must be an extremely old man brain thing where I just looked in my memory for "two letters sox two numbers" lol

12 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I legit believe the Bears would be at the top of his personal list of teams to join. I legitimately think he wants nothing more than to have a chance at sticking it to the Packers. And I'm not going to lie - I'm 100% okay if that happens :)

Rodgers isn't going to leave Green Bay to join Chicago, not in a million years. GB still gives him a better shot at a SB than the Bears who are as an organization, a circus show year in and year out. Of course if Rodgers gets a case of the dummies, I'd love to see him in a Bears uni, even if he's on the downside of his career.

I'm kind of curious why everyone is implying Rodgers lost the championship game.  Yes - he threw a pick, but he did throw 3 TD's and had his receivers drop some throws all while getting the snot knocked out of him.  He played really good, especially when you factor the durress he was under all game. One could argue whether he could have ran in for that TD in the end or not - but bottom line - Rodgers was the better QB on the field yesterday - his team wasn't though.

And I still cringe over that coaching decision - that was just brutal.  Talk about outsmarting yourself.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I'm kind of curious why everyone is implying Rodgers lost the championship game.  Yes - he threw a pick, but he did throw 3 TD's and had his receivers drop some throws all while getting the snot knocked out of him.  He played really good, especially when you factor the durress he was under all game. One could argue whether he could have ran in for that TD in the end or not - but bottom line - Rodgers was the better QB on the field yesterday - his team wasn't though.

And I still cringe over that coaching decision - that was just brutal.  Talk about outsmarting yourself.  

If you blame any one player, you blame Kevin King. King gave up, what, 2 touchdowns all by himself? Then he had the audacity to drag Johnson's jersey for half the play on the deciding play of the game. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

According to analytics there was a very slight outcome likelihood btw the fg and going for the touch fourth and eight. Most of us though smelled a rat. 

10 minutes ago, pcq said:

According to analytics there was a very slight outcome likelihood btw the fg and going for the touch fourth and eight. Most of us though smelled a rat. 

I get it - the analytics are blended and probably ignore two facts.  1 - you have Rodgers - top 2 QB in the league - which increases your probability in terms of 4th down success.  Additionally - on the other side you hand the ball to the GOAT - Tom Brady, which has to greatly reduce your likilihood of getting the ball backs.  

That said - the factor all of us are probably ignoring is the analytics would say giving Brady the ball back with 2 minutes (if the Packers went for it on 4th down and were to score a TD/ get 2 point conversion)...there is the fact that Brady has decent shot at getting his team down the field and into FG position for a game winning kick.  But at least you have a chance.

I still say - go for it - if you miss - the probabilty of getting the ball back is much higher when the Pats are inside their 10 yard line vs. where they started (closer to the 20).  

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

I get it - the analytics are blended and probably ignore two facts.  1 - you have Rodgers - top 2 QB in the league - which increases your probability in terms of 4th down success.  Additionally - on the other side you hand the ball to the GOAT - Tom Brady, which has to greatly reduce your likilihood of getting the ball backs.  

Or this. Kick an FG and you still need a TD. Lose the ball on downs and you still need a TD. 

1 minute ago, pcq said:

Or this. Kick an FG and you still need a TD. Lose the ball on downs and you still need a TD. 

Exactly - they outsmarted themselves.  You take your shot with Rodgers and than if you fail - you hope he gets another shot.  At least you know you took every shot with your MVP.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

I know our ownership is a joke, but the Texans organization takes the cake. They’ve ostracized one of the best WR’s in the league last year and now one of the best QB’s. I wouldn’t be surprised if JJ Watt was next.

TO this day - I don't think it is a bad move not to pay a wideout top dollar. I think from a pure roster construction move - it can be the right thing to do. The problem was - they didn't communciate with their star QB and the bigger issue was they got pennies on the dollar in terms of the value.  When I look at the Bears - I know their WR corps is going to be brutal without Arob - that said - If they could franchise him but let him play the market and eventually flip him for a 2nd (or even a future 2nd round pick) - I would make that move because for the long haul I think it is the best play. 

Reality Watson's best play is Miami. THey have a good young defense and are probably the team that would be least decimated by trading up the assets.  I don't know if Houston wants Tua - but if they didn't (and I really didn't like what I saw from Tua) - if I were the Bears I'd probably see if I could get Tua for pennies on the dollar and take a shot.  With the COVID off-season and him recovering from his serious injury at Bama, maybe he just needs a bit more time.  And if it doesn't work out - no harm / no foul.  

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Eric Bieniemy is so good at his current job that it has stalled his career.

The good news is - Bears could go to that well in a year anyway and if you landed a new QB this year and shifted to a new coach in a year, I guess the bright side is if you think the issue was the operator (Nagy) vs. the Reid Scheme - than going back to Eric B kind of embeds a bit more consistency for a QB not having to learn an entirely new scheme when the coaches change.  

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

TO this day - I don't think it is a bad move not to pay a wideout top dollar. I think from a pure roster construction move - it can be the right thing to do. The problem was - they didn't communciate with their star QB and the bigger issue was they got pennies on the dollar in terms of the value.  When I look at the Bears - I know their WR corps is going to be brutal without Arob - that said - If they could franchise him but let him play the market and eventually flip him for a 2nd (or even a future 2nd round pick) - I would make that move because for the long haul I think it is the best play. 

Reality Watson's best play is Miami. THey have a good young defense and are probably the team that would be least decimated by trading up the assets.  I don't know if Houston wants Tua - but if they didn't (and I really didn't like what I saw from Tua) - if I were the Bears I'd probably see if I could get Tua for pennies on the dollar and take a shot.  With the COVID off-season and him recovering from his serious injury at Bama, maybe he just needs a bit more time.  And if it doesn't work out - no harm / no foul.  

Miami or Jets for sure.

But if I'm him I certainly would want SF or Indy.

I also wouldn't hate getting paired with Jefferson in Minny 😍

As I have said, I can't pretend to know what to do with QB. I'll ride with @Chisoxfn 's takes as they are optimistic and I can only take so much bears dredge. Tua, Wentz, Darnold all scare me. I don't know that I can handle uncertainty unless from a guy whose clock is up quickly.

And If I'm Houston, I think I'd rather go after the 3rd qb than Tua? That is a disaster for the Lions.

One thing about Watson - if you are Houston - despite the Jets and Dolphins having better chips - do you want to trade Deshaun within the conference or do you feel better sending him to the NFC.  Would be great if Houston's ownership group had a view of keeping Deshaun out of their conference as that a number of the best suitors off the table (Colts, Jets, Dolphins).  

I saw somewhere, might have been ESPN - but basically someone suggested 3 way deal with Bears getting Tua for the 20th pick plus some future picks.  While I don't love Tua - I wouldn't hate it either. If you are right - you quickly have shifted the franchise and if you are wrong - you take another swing in a year.  In this case - you really haven't mortgaged the future (which is what it will take to get Deshaun and while I've always felt Deshaun is a bit on the over-rated side...I'd still be open to just doing it to get a young QB in his prime...even though you know they'll be in asset/cap trouble for at least 2 years).