NFL Thread 2020-2021

bmags

One problem with Watson is while demanding a trade, he also has a no trade in his contract, so he can go where he wants. Would it be the Bears? Very doubtful. What the Bears would have to give up to get him would leave the team short, plus why would he want anything to do with the Bears. They didn’t even take him out to dinner the year he was drafted.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

Can always go with Taylor Heinicke...between Vince Papale, and then Nick Foles, the Eagles have three Disney movies’ worth of material.  That’s the kind of underdog QB that Bears’ fans could really get behind, compared to a Winston.

Of course, the Foles’ magic was quite transitory there.

So I don’t know how to make the cap hits work for Watson or Stafford when they have an expensive defense and no easy way to drop Foles, but Garoppolo has a very small hit if traded so San Fran could easily swap him out and the Bears could rework that contract without much difficulty.

34 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So I don’t know how to make the cap hits work for Watson or Stafford when they have an expensive defense and no easy way to drop Foles, but Garoppolo has a very small hit if traded so San Fran could easily swap him out and the Bears could rework that contract without much difficulty.

I've believed Garropolo is going to be the Bears QB in 2021 for a while. Just a hunch. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

55 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

This basically made Watson untradeable. You’re probably looking at at least 5 1sts along with a number of 2nd or 3rds

You're only allowed to trade 1st round picks 3 drafts in the future, so yeah Watson is pretty much untradeable.......however, it does seem that the extra 1st was for Detroit to take Goff's contract. 

5 hours ago, bmags said:

I think stafford is great personally.

Me too - crazy how good Detroit did. Obviously part of that was taking on Goffs contract but love that move from Lions perspective. From Rams - they needed to make a play for a qb cause Goff is ok but over highly paid. 

7 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

You're only allowed to trade 1st round picks 3 drafts in the future, so yeah Watson is pretty much untradeable.......however, it does seem that the extra 1st was for Detroit to take Goff's contract. 

There’s a massive difference between top 5 picks and a late 1st rounder.  People keep ignoring this when it comes to the Stafford trade, but these will likely be late 1sts and both are a year or two out.  The Jets & Dolphins can offer top 3 picks in this draft + other assets and that’s what Houston will be looking for.  The Dolphins in particular have what is takes to land Watson as Tua + 1.03 + 1.18 is a great starting point.

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There’s a massive difference between top 5 picks and a late 1st rounder.  People keep ignoring this when it comes to the Stafford trade, but these will likely be late 1sts and both are a year or two out.  The Jets & Dolphins can offer top 3 picks in this draft + other assets and that’s what Houston will be looking for.  The Dolphins in particular have what is takes to land Watson as Tua + 1.03 + 1.18 is a great starting point.

I think that Miami is the only team that has what it takes to get a deal done. 

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There’s also that future picks are usually graded a round below. Not having a first this year also contributes 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Exactly, those picks need to be discounted some. Still a real nice return for the Lions, but it doesn’t make Watson untradeable by any means.

Yeah - I hadn't realized both 1st round picks were in future drafts (so i assume it is more of the equivalent of a 2nd and a 3rd rounder today vs. 2 1st rounders).  When you consider Rams are expected to be good - it normalizes things quite a bit.  I still love the move from the Lions perspective because I think these are the type of moves that you do to build up and build up assets.