Jump to content
bmags

NFL Thread 2020-2021

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Montgomery is a huge disappointment.  The line is bad but he can’t make anyone miss.

I mean when Mike Davis goes to Carolina and looks like a pro bowler after looking worse than Montgomery I think it’s fair to say this is a coaching / line issue. No rushing attack should be this bad, bad running back or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rams look so much better coached on offense. This game has blowout potential with bad the Bears defense looks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pathetic not to call a timeout there to force a punt, but it’s not like Ginn would even try to catch it anyways. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fathom said:

Montgomery is a huge disappointment.  The line is bad but he can’t make anyone miss.

I said when they drafted him - I thought it was an unnecessary move.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I said when they drafted him - I thought it was an unnecessary move.  

Rams running backs don’t have a lot of room either, but they’re constantly making the first guy miss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tony said:

This is just so classic Bears. It’s the same shit....every....single...year.

Serious lack of effort and execution tonight 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to know what Hicks is talking about out there, he looks like he’s smiling when everything is going to hell. He’s the one I always see getting flagged on defense like Harris getting flagged on offense. 
 

This offensive line sucks. What happened to all of the plays they ran well in the first year? Why can’t they run sweeps like the Rams can?

Edited by The Beast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're the same old Bears and always will be. They've had the two worst offensive tackles in the league for the better part of two decades and never have done squat to improve them. Its a sad joke. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Beast said:

I would love to know what Hicks is talking about out there, he looks like he’s smiling when everything is going to hell. He’s the one I always see getting flagged on defense like Harris getting flagged on offense. 
 

This offensive line sucks. What happened to all of the plays they ran well in the first year? Why can’t they run sweeps like the Rams can?

Well - Foles can't hit when guys are wide open, they have bad drops, they have stupid penalties, and quite frankly, their players (not named Mooney) rarely win one on one matchups. Oh - and Montgomery is slow and TERRIBLE.  HE IS PART OF THE PROBLEM.  He is the worst starting running back I can remember the Bears have (and I remember James Allen pretty well - in fact that is probably who he reminds me of; I always remember James Allen never got downfield, he always did a slow stutter jump forward thing that was brutal.  Montgomery looks like he's in quick sand a ton.  

And quite frankly - Nagy does an awful job getting his best players the ball. He's usually scheming to get Patterson way too many touches (his whole career has shown he is an awesome special teams player and a very ocassional gadget player. In no way shape or form should Patterson be getting the # of touches he is getting. 

And Beast - I think on the play Hicks was smiling, he was smiling because it was an absurd offsides call given how delayed the olinemen jumping off was. Either way - the Bears absolutely railed to make plays.  I actually don't think Nagy is an awful head coach, I do think he's an TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE, NO GOOD, VERY BAD OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR.  Like he absolutely sucks at it - that said, the personell suck too.  Oline, running backs, blah receiving corps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't followed Foles his whole career, but I never remember him making excuses or throwing others under the bus.  This is a DAMNING comment from his starting QB.  

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1320929740690198530

We were talking to Nick Foles yesterday and sometimes play calls come in, and I know I don't have time to execute that play call. And I'm the one out here getting hit... Matt Nagy, he doesn't know how much time there is back here."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And Foles played awful tonight - but there were a ton of times where you literally could see him staring down Nagy for how pissed he was at the playcalling.  Not playing with tempo, etc.  Going to be interesting.  By the way - that was right there with Trubisky's performance against the Saints last year.

Oh - and why exactly is Ginn returning punts?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why Mitch isn't coming in for 6-10 plays a game on 3rd down (a la Taysom Hill).  Foles is a statue out there, why can't Mitch come out there WITH Foles and try to get cute with a dual threat instead of Patterson repeatedly getting the ball out of the backfield for a whopping 2.8YPC, insanely frustrating.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Is this team better with Foles vs. Trubisky? Or is it basically the exact same.  

We're running out of players whose "fault" it is that Nagy's offense is terrible

"It's Jordan Howard's fault"

"It's Mitch's fault"

"It's trey burton's fault"

"It's david montgomery's fault"

"It's Foles' fault"

Whatever Nagy thinks an nfl offense should be like, he needs to realize he doesn't have the talent to run it or his own talent to coach it, and hand it off to someone who on gameday can keep better track of player usage and isn't so obsessed with trying to fool the DC into not doing what they expect so we run what they'd prefer.

Nagy coaching basketball down 3 with 4 seconds left "Ha Ha! They suspect we will shoot the 3 pointer, let's shoot the mid-range!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Well - Foles can't hit when guys are wide open, they have bad drops, they have stupid penalties, and quite frankly, their players (not named Mooney) rarely win one on one matchups. Oh - and Montgomery is slow and TERRIBLE.  HE IS PART OF THE PROBLEM.  He is the worst starting running back I can remember the Bears have (and I remember James Allen pretty well - in fact that is probably who he reminds me of; I always remember James Allen never got downfield, he always did a slow stutter jump forward thing that was brutal.  Montgomery looks like he's in quick sand a ton.  

And quite frankly - Nagy does an awful job getting his best players the ball. He's usually scheming to get Patterson way too many touches (his whole career has shown he is an awesome special teams player and a very ocassional gadget player. In no way shape or form should Patterson be getting the # of touches he is getting. 

And Beast - I think on the play Hicks was smiling, he was smiling because it was an absurd offsides call given how delayed the olinemen jumping off was. Either way - the Bears absolutely railed to make plays.  I actually don't think Nagy is an awful head coach, I do think he's an TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE, NO GOOD, VERY BAD OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR.  Like he absolutely sucks at it - that said, the personell suck too.  Oline, running backs, blah receiving corps. 

“officials called Akiem Hicks for four infractions (two of which were declined). Hicks has been called for nine penalties, which is the most in the NFL, one ahead of Buccaneers left tackle Donovan Smith.“

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-cb-chicago-bears-10-thoughts-brad-biggs-20201027-geceoobr65acvk6la5xl53sf5i-story.html

He shouldn’t be smiling for the amount of penalties he’s been called on and the chunks of yards the defense gives up in high leverage situations.

It is easy to blame Nagy and have people want to fire him as a coach but then if he gets fired Pace has to go to and a new regime has to start over again. Maybe Nagy gives up play calling or they invest in the offensive line with a high pick next year. 
 

In the short term, put Patterson at returning punts, run some sweeps with receivers, try some play action, stop running up the gut with Montgomery and go outside the tackles more, use more sets with Graham and Kmet where there is either play action or straight passes, include a Trubisky package and use Pearce or Miller as a second running back while ending the Patterson experiment. 

On the radio in Chicago, all I hear about is Matt Nagy and his play calling and less about changes to help the team or make things better in the long term. It is lazy analysis of the Chicago media or fans just focus on Nagy and not the rest of the team. I’m glad you see more than just Nagy being the problem though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2020 at 8:57 AM, soxfan49 said:

Pace has drafted more OL than WR

You start 5 OL a game and need a minimum of 7 to get through year and if they suck it becomes rather obvious rather quickly.

You don't need to draft and sign a TE/WR every year which the Bears seem to do while not addressing the O line.  Leno and Massie went from being average to terrible and I am not certain what the Coward experiment is all about.

At this point the offense and all of the coaching staff need to evaluated and sadly I think Nagy needs to give up the paly calling or be let go if he cannot see that.  

Pace needs to look at this and wonder how bad Mitch really is as Foles doesn't look all that different back there.  Maybe Nagy is the problem.

Edited by Harry Chappas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

You start 5 OL a game and need a minimum of 7 to get through year and if they suck it becomes rather obvious rather quickly.

You don't need to draft and sign a TE/WR every year which the Bears seem to do while not addressing the O line.  Leno and Massie went from being average to terrible and I am not certain what the Coward experiment is all about.

At this point the offense and all of the coaching staff need to evaluated and sadly I think Nagy needs to give up the paly calling or be let go if he cannot see that.  

Pace needs to look at this and wonder how bad Mitch really is as Foles doesn't look all that different back there.  Maybe Nagy is the problem.

Look, I'm not defending Pace. I think he sucks. I'm just saying he has put some resources into the OL. Unfortunately it's not enough, specifically the OT spot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

Just no creativity with the offense. 

The main reason I didn't watch this game. Offense is a joke, and Nagy has no clue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×