Jump to content
bmags

NFL Thread 2020-2021

Recommended Posts

The Bears need a football minded person to be Pace's boss. There just isnt enough seasoned football minds in the organization.

Stay healthy here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I'm assuming its better for the Rams to lose today so next week is a must win for them.. next week is going to be very interesting for alot of teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

The Bears need a football minded person to be Pace's boss. There just isnt enough seasoned football minds in the organization.

Stay healthy here.

And yet, this isn’t enough for some Chicago fans and some of the Chicago media. They want perpetual rebuilding and think more moves will bring them closer to a Super Bowl title.

Edited by The Beast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Beast said:

And yet, this isn’t enough for some Chicago fans and some of the Chicago media. They want perpetual rebuilding and think more moves will bring them closer to a Super Bowl title.

I will say "This isn't enough for Chicago fans" is exactly right. The goal for the Bears should be regularly being in the playoffs. Being in the hunt this year is nice, it's an upgrade over last year. 2 playoff appearances in 3 years would be genuinely positive. 

But...if they don't make it this year...1 playoff appearance in "the entire decade"..."this isn't enough for Chicago Bears fans" is precisely correct. Prior to this year, 37.5% of the NFL teams made the playoffs every year, so 4 playoff appearances a decade should be basically an average NFL franchise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I will say "This isn't enough for Chicago fans" is exactly right. The goal for the Bears should be regularly being in the playoffs. Being in the hunt this year is nice, it's an upgrade over last year. 2 playoff appearances in 3 years would be genuinely positive. 

But...if they don't make it this year...1 playoff appearance in "the entire decade"..."this isn't enough for Chicago Bears fans" is precisely correct. Prior to this year, 37.5% of the NFL teams made the playoffs every year, so 4 playoff appearances a decade should be basically an average NFL franchise.

You also forgot to mention that if they made another change, it would be hiring both their fourth GM and fifth coach since 2010. Why would hiring another tandem right the ship? Also I was responding to “The Bears need a football minded person to be Pace's boss.” 

Not even a football mind as president and Pace or Nagy keeping their job would be enough for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, greasywheels121 said:

I know JJ can be polarizing, but this is a good speech.

 

 

Well, if there ever was a sign that one guy didn't respect the work his teammates were putting in...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find myself oddly irritated the Bears are in this position. I checked out after the 6 straight losses and was in the mindset the season was over and that maybe we were closer to blowing it up.  I want to build something elite, not middling and needing help to get into the playoffs. 
 

This situation is just biding these schmucks more time, we are 1-5 vs. winning teams this year. It’s tough to say we’ve definitively turned it around when we’ve beat three bad teams in a row and lost to the Lions right before that (should be two losses to them this year). 
 

I’ll be excited to see a playoff game but also perturbed knowing next year could get ugly with the QB/WR/OL/Defense situations.  Mitch and ARob will probably get more money than the Bears should pay, we will be stuck with Foles and have significant money tied up on defense that isn’t performing as it should. But...Go Bears?

Edited by Chi Town Sox
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chi Town Sox said:

I find myself oddly irritated the Bears are in this position. I checked out after the 6 straight losses and was in the mindset the season was over and that maybe we were closer to blowing it up.  I want to build something elite, not middling and needing help to get into the playoffs. 
 

This situation is just biding these schmucks more time, we are 1-5 vs. winning teams this year. It’s tough to say we’ve definitively turned it around when we’ve beat three bad teams in a row and lost to the Lions right before that (should be two losses to them this year). 
 

I’ll be excited to see a playoff game but also perturbed knowing next year could get ugly with the QB/WR/OL/Defense situations.  Mitch and ARob will probably get more money than the Bears should pay, we will be stuck with Foles and have significant money tied up on defense that isn’t performing as it should. But...Go Bears?

I think the OL situation has been greatly relieved. I was hoping for a free fall but if they win out that’s a win. Trying to hire in a year of 6+ GM jobs plus a poor situation was no guarantee it gets better.

Whitehair + Mustipher + Daniels is looking like a big improvement in the interior. Now question is if Bars could be a RT and they can find tackles in draft.

Bad QBs behind great olines can be good QBs. They need to see if they can build a great oline.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chi Town Sox said:

I find myself oddly irritated the Bears are in this position. I checked out after the 6 straight losses and was in the mindset the season was over and that maybe we were closer to blowing it up.  I want to build something elite, not middling and needing help to get into the playoffs. 
 

This situation is just biding these schmucks more time, we are 1-5 vs. winning teams this year. It’s tough to say we’ve definitively turned it around when we’ve beat three bad teams in a row and lost to the Lions right before that (should be two losses to them this year). 
 

I’ll be excited to see a playoff game but also perturbed knowing next year could get ugly with the QB/WR/OL/Defense situations.  Mitch and ARob will probably get more money than the Bears should pay, we will be stuck with Foles and have significant money tied up on defense that isn’t performing as it should. But...Go Bears?

This is a good assessment. The simple fact is that the Bears don't belong on the same field as the Packers, and they are not truly a playoff team. It will be a huge surprise if the Bears find some kind of way to beat Rodgers next week. They can only hope he will be bored with the game, but that isn't likely. If the Bears make the playoffs, it will be as an 8-8 team. That is not all that great. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

This is a good assessment. The simple fact is that the Bears don't belong on the same field as the Packers, and they are not truly a playoff team. It will be a huge surprise if the Bears find some kind of way to beat Rodgers next week. They can only hope he will be bored with the game, but that isn't likely. If the Bears make the playoffs, it will be as an 8-8 team. That is not all that great. 

There is gonna be a possible 6-7 win team from the NFC East.  It really doesn't matter once you are in, everyone is 0-0

look, everyone who wants the tank and sell and fire everybody, I get that.  But that ship is sailed this season, the damage is done.  Time to shut that part of your brain off and just watch.   If the Bears get in, crazy things can happen.  They probably won't, lol,  but they can

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The irritating thing for me is that in regard to the O line the Bears did not even know who they had.  Seems like the interior is pretty set now.  The fact that they kept running Coward out there is rather head scratching but maybe the lack of preseason played a role in that.  Having Ifedi try to move inside seems dumb now as well.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The irritating thing for me is that in regard to the O line the Bears did not even know who they had.  Seems like the interior is pretty set now.  The fact that they kept running Coward out there is rather head scratching but maybe the lack of preseason played a role in that.  Having Ifedi try to move inside seems dumb now as well.

 

Yes.

also when people were trashing Montgomery I said the only thing making me hold my tongue was how trash Mike Davis looked in Chicago vs him looking awesome in Carolina.

Bears had more talent than coaches knew, but to their credit they found it...eventually and hopefully not too late.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Chi Town Sox said:

I find myself oddly irritated the Bears are in this position. I checked out after the 6 straight losses and was in the mindset the season was over and that maybe we were closer to blowing it up.  I want to build something elite, not middling and needing help to get into the playoffs. 
 

This situation is just biding these schmucks more time, we are 1-5 vs. winning teams this year. It’s tough to say we’ve definitively turned it around when we’ve beat three bad teams in a row and lost to the Lions right before that (should be two losses to them this year). 
 

I’ll be excited to see a playoff game but also perturbed knowing next year could get ugly with the QB/WR/OL/Defense situations.  Mitch and ARob will probably get more money than the Bears should pay, we will be stuck with Foles and have significant money tied up on defense that isn’t performing as it should. But...Go Bears?

Next year doesn’t look better for the Bears in terms of the schedule - Brad Biggs pointed out they would play the Cardinals, Ravens, Bengals, 49ers, the Browns, Rams, Steelers, Seahawks, Buccaneers and the winner of the NFC East. That could help support the argument for blowing things up or staying the course, depending on how you look at next year’s schedule and the outcome of this year.

At least they can clear some cap space by cutting Graham, extending Hicks, cutting Leno or Massie, reworking Jackson’s contract or cutting Skrine. Painful moves are definitely going to be made, though the Bears won’t be the only team to have to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The irritating thing for me is that in regard to the O line the Bears did not even know who they had.  Seems like the interior is pretty set now.  The fact that they kept running Coward out there is rather head scratching but maybe the lack of preseason played a role in that.  Having Ifedi try to move inside seems dumb now as well.

 

They also had a Covid outbreak within the line in the middle of everything too.  Coward was not by choice in his last few games, he was by necessity 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

There is gonna be a possible 6-7 win team from the NFC East.  It really doesn't matter once you are in, everyone is 0-0

look, everyone who wants the tank and sell and fire everybody, I get that.  But that ship is sailed this season, the damage is done.  Time to shut that part of your brain off and just watch.   If the Bears get in, crazy things can happen.  They probably won't, lol,  but they can

Yeah that time for that was when they were 5-7 and had lost 6 in a row.  But then they went back to Mitch and figured out what they should have seen years ago, that Mitch isn't a downfield QB, and that you gotta move him around and keep it quick and simple.  At this stage, there is not really much of a difference between 8 and 9 wins, so you might as well go ahead and get the boys that taste of playoff experience and see what happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

There is gonna be a possible 6-7 win team from the NFC East.  It really doesn't matter once you are in, everyone is 0-0

look, everyone who wants the tank and sell and fire everybody, I get that.  But that ship is sailed this season, the damage is done.  Time to shut that part of your brain off and just watch.   If the Bears get in, crazy things can happen.  They probably won't, lol,  but they can

I'll watch; I just don't expect much. Yes, crazy things happen like one of Mitch's crazy passes. I give the team for not tanking, but I am not looking forward to the Packers game. The Bears are just not at that level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were four games this weekend in which a team scored 40 points:

By the Packers

By the Bears

Against the Vikings

Against the Lions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, greasywheels121 said:

I know JJ can be polarizing, but this is a good speech.

 

 

Not a good speech, but a great one. Fans can't always expect results, but they should expect effort. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

There is gonna be a possible 6-7 win team from the NFC East.  It really doesn't matter once you are in, everyone is 0-0

look, everyone who wants the tank and sell and fire everybody, I get that.  But that ship is sailed this season, the damage is done.  Time to shut that part of your brain off and just watch.   If the Bears get in, crazy things can happen.  They probably won't, lol,  but they can

This - plus tanking doesn’t do what every fan seems to think it is. There are few examples in any sport of teams who truly tanked and benefited. 
 

Baseball is probably the one outlier - where recently the Sox, Padres, Astros and Cubs all benefited from a heavy tear down. That said - in many ways it was rebuild vs pure tanking. 
 

When I think of tanking - I really only think of teams maximizing draft picks anyway. In basketball - the 76ers are the one team who kind of tanked their way into things and they aren’t anything special. The Lakers tried but the tanking failed miserably - it took Lebron wanting to come to LA that changed their destination and desirability combined with another star forcing its way to them. 
 

Bulls tried tanking - maybe they weren’t good enough at it - I don’t know, but right now they sure would look better with Jimmy Bucket and a super max and whatever other stars he convinced to come to them. Would they be a championship team - probably not - but you never know what star will want to join you but normally you need stars to get stars (unless you play in LA). 
 

In football Jets were god awful and they are not even going to get Trevor Lawrence. Pathetically bad. But in NFL turn arounds can be instant and at times do not require top draft picks - although having a top qb usually helps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

The irritating thing for me is that in regard to the O line the Bears did not even know who they had.  Seems like the interior is pretty set now.  The fact that they kept running Coward out there is rather head scratching but maybe the lack of preseason played a role in that.  Having Ifedi try to move inside seems dumb now as well.

 

Ifeldi wasn’t terrible at guard but white hair and Daniels are just not good centers. The biggest difference is Mustipher settling the center position. Whitehair is much better at guard and so is Daniels. The tackle play isn’t great but Bars has been okay and as a unit they have worked well. Kmet helps as a blocker and Mitch at QB also helps the line a ton. The line isn’t solved but my god what a difference six weeks have made. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bmags said:

I think the OL situation has been greatly relieved. I was hoping for a free fall but if they win out that’s a win. Trying to hire in a year of 6+ GM jobs plus a poor situation was no guarantee it gets better.

Whitehair + Mustipher + Daniels is looking like a big improvement in the interior. Now question is if Bars could be a RT and they can find tackles in draft.

Bad QBs behind great olines can be good QBs. They need to see if they can build a great oline.

Plus - if they can get a good lt and Mitch still is meh - than you have a good oline for whatever qb you insert in. Whether a veteran or a draft pick - that oline will be an asset if you can build it. Crazy that any of us are saying Bears aren’t a lot away from having a good oline - no one would have said that Six weeks ago. I will caveat finding a good lt where bears are picking won’t be easy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NWINFan said:

This is a good assessment. The simple fact is that the Bears don't belong on the same field as the Packers, and they are not truly a playoff team. It will be a huge surprise if the Bears find some kind of way to beat Rodgers next week. They can only hope he will be bored with the game, but that isn't likely. If the Bears make the playoffs, it will be as an 8-8 team. That is not all that great. 

The bears barely lost to the Titans and Colts, two playoff teams. And that was with Foles and an oline / rush attack that was non existent. I’m not saying Bears are great but Packers are in a league of their own in NFC right now. 
 

Bears also were hanging with Saints until wheels fell apart in second half. Packers own them though and that combined with Rams having no offense will probably mean bears miss out, but hey I prefer for the season to still mean something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×