NFL Thread 2020-2021

bmags

I'm surprised no one is looking at front office people from the Packers.  Back to back 13-3 seasons, finally started signing free agents and have completely nailed almost of all of them, really good work in the drafts and with undrafted players. 

18 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

I'm surprised no one is looking at front office people from the Packers.  Back to back 13-3 seasons, finally started signing free agents and have completely nailed almost of all of them, really good work in the drafts and with undrafted players. 

None of the above means shit without 12

45 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

None of the above means shit without 12

Drafting the best CB in football, drafting a top 5 guard in the second round, signing one of the best pass rushers in the game for what is now a pretty light contract, having the best safety combo in the league, both of who they signed and drafted, signed an undrafted TE who had 11 td this year. 7 pro bowlers (I know its the pro bowl, but still a high number and will have a bunch of All pros), heavy favorite to have the MVP and COY. 

Rodgers is having a historic season, but to say he is the only good Packers player or is the only reason they are good is something out of 2015-2016.

11 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Drafting the best CB in football, drafting a top 5 guard in the second round, signing one of the best pass rushers in the game for what is now a pretty light contract, having the best safety combo in the league, both of who they signed and drafted, signed an undrafted TE who had 11 td this year. 7 pro bowlers (I know its the pro bowl, but still a high number and will have a bunch of All pros), heavy favorite to have the MVP and COY. 

Rodgers is having a historic season, but to say he is the only good Packers player or is the only reason they are good is something out of 2015-2016.

No he is quite possibly the greatest qb that ever lived, and everyone in that organization is riding his coattails until he is done.  It is what it is, just as Bill Belicheck

the front office has fit pieces around him to their credit.  Take away 12 and they aren't in the playoffs

33 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is also after they played the Steelers on Sunday, with several known cases over the last 2 weeks, and the NFL saying that they have done "Contact tracing" and "There is no outbreak in progress" at the Cleveland Facility.

13 hours ago, scs787 said:

If I'm the Bears, I'm going OT and WR in the first 2 rounds....And I'm franchising Robinson. Jimmy Graham can stick around too. 

I'm ok with the Nagy/Lazor/Mitch dynamic for 1 more year. I think they can build from what they were doing. 

Defensively? Getting Goldman back is gonna be huge assuming he stayed in shape. Johnson being back will also be huge....Idk wtf drop foot is, but it really looks like it could be a thing with Quinn, and if it heals, he could actually have a good bounce back year. Gotta bring in some depth there though...Speaking of depth, bringing back and having Roy Robertson Harris would be nice as well. Adding 2 good pieces like Goldman and RRH to the line would be a big plus. 

Who are they cutting?  They're already over the cap without Robinson.

11 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

No he is quite possibly the greatest qb that ever lived, and everyone in that organization is riding his coattails until he is done.  It is what it is, just as Bill Belicheck

the front office has fit pieces around him to their credit.  Take away 12 and they aren't in the playoffs

Nah, the Packers have a better roster even taking out the qb's.

15 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

It's almost like you would want to hire from the team that drafted the best QB in NFL history in the late first round. 

Take away a teams starting QB and they don't make the playoffs is probably every team in the NFL. 

Patrick Mahomes is probably going to break every passing record that ever existed, I wonder who drafted him and their backgrounds?

I mean I don't care if bad teams stay bad, but It is just a little surprising. I'm sure KC and Seattle would agree.

Edited by GoSox05

9 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

It's almost like you would want to hire from the team that drafted the best QB in NFL history in the late first round. 

Take away a teams starting QB and they don't make the playoffs is probably every team in the NFL. 

Patrick Mahomes is probably going to break every passing record that ever existed, I wonder who drafted him and their backgrounds?

I mean I don't care if bad teams stay bad, but It is just a little surprising. I'm sure KC and Seattle would agree.

Then maybe you can explain why the guys from Green Bay never get jobs, since it is so apparent that they are better than the rest.  Seems strange for sure

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Then maybe you can explain why the guys from Green Bay never get jobs, since it is so apparent that they are better than the rest.  Seems strange for sure

Well there was a run of some GB people getting jobs - but in general - I think part of it is, Packer people tend to stay there.  They are a stable organization and there is value in stability. I think those guys truly recognize the benefit of stability and thus are rarely going to be interested in the typical jobs that open up each season. It might be some teams discount the Packers and the inverse is probably true where Packers people tend to not be interested in substandard type of jobs that are going to turn a lot. 

I think there is huge value in stability and I sometimes wonder how much LT of success of a franchise is tied to one individuals leadership vs. stability and all the positives it brings.  The Pats had an insane run - but there drafting has consistently been awful, despite a plethora of draft picks. Coaching wise - they are very very good - no denying that and obviously they had TB 12.  

It is why I'm not against putting Pace as president (if McCaskey trusts him and thinks he is a good lt president - fine).  I have some beef with some of his moves, but if we get another front office guy who is good (I like the Chiefs name thrown around) - than I don't see that as a bad thing, persay.  Pace has done bad and he's done good, overall he's been pretty mixed and he has had some bad misses, but he also has shown the aggression that is important to put a team over the top (obviously it didn't work out because Mitch just didn't pan out).  

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I would bet it's some of the stuff you talked about Rodgers, teams think he is the only reason they are good. 

I also think it's because they aren't flashy.  They generally believe in drafting 10 players every year and sign a limited amount of free agents.  Draft and develop.  Not a lot of flashy trades.

Pace got a lot of attention for trading for Mack and he has been good for the Bears, but they had to mortgage a lot of their future to get him.  Packers signed Z. Smith, who has been better and didn't cost them any draft picks. 

It's not just the Packers, Ravens are another team that I would hire from. 

Also, like who knows what teams like the Jags, Texans and Panthers are doing.  Maybe these teams should consider to hire from one of the most consistent teams over the past 30 years, but bad teams stay bad.

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Well there was a run of some GB people getting jobs - but in general - I think part of it is, Packer people tend to stay there.  They are a stable organization and there is value in stability. I think those guys truly recognize the benefit of stability and thus are rarely going to be interested in the typical jobs that open up each season. It might be some teams discount the Packers and the inverse is probably true where Packers people tend to not be interested in substandard type of jobs that are going to turn a lot. 

I think there is huge value in stability and I sometimes wonder how much LT of success of a franchise is tied to one individuals leadership vs. stability and all the positives it brings.  The Pats had an insane run - but there drafting has consistently been awful, despite a plethora of draft picks. Coaching wise - they are very very good - no denying that and obviously they had TB 12.  

It is why I'm not against putting Pace as president (if McCaskey trusts him and thinks he is a good lt president - fine).  I have some beef with some of his moves, but if we get another front office guy who is good (I like the Chiefs name thrown around) - than I don't see that as a bad thing, persay.  Pace has done bad and he's done good, overall he's been pretty mixed and he has had some bad misses, but he also has shown the aggression that is important to put a team over the top (obviously it didn't work out because Mitch just didn't pan out).  

I don't think you should kick Pace upstairs and install a new GM.  It's gonna be just like when we all get mad about a white Sox move and blame KW instead of RH.  To me you have to cut ties and move on end let the next guy live and die by his own merit and not have the shadow of Pace looming over him.

that's not to say they won't do that, they probably will because that's a McCaskey thing to do, I just don't agree with it.

John Dorsey in three years at KC drafted Mahomes, Kelce and Hill.  Three probable HOF players.  He then went to the Browns and drafted Mayfield and is responsible for most of the players on the team that is about to be in the playoffs for the first time in almost 20 years.  Not to mention the two super bowls he helped win in GB. 

Like maybe teams are overthinking this. 

27 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

I would bet it's some of the stuff you talked about Rodgers, teams think he is the only reason they are good. 

I also think it's because they aren't flashy.  They generally believe in drafting 10 players every year and sign a limited amount of free agents.  Draft and develop.  Not a lot of flashy trades.

Pace got a lot of attention for trading for Mack and he has been good for the Bears, but they had to mortgage a lot of their future to get him.  Packers signed Z. Smith, who has been better and didn't cost them any draft picks. 

It's not just the Packers, Ravens are another team that I would hire from. 

Also, like who knows what teams like the Jags, Texans and Panthers are doing.  Maybe these teams should consider to hire from one of the most consistent teams over the past 30 years, but bad teams stay bad.

Ravens are another example where it has been hard to grab guys from. They have been extremely well run and have a ton of stability - but for a long time, there top people behind Newsome didn't leave.  They have been incredible in the sense that they have had sustained success with multiple QB's, including winning a superbowl with a non-elite QB and transforming an offense around a unique QB (who is electric and dynamic - but obviously with limits).  

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Ravens are another example where it has been hard to grab guys from. They have been extremely well run and have a ton of stability - but for a long time, there top people behind Newsome didn't leave.  They have been incredible in the sense that they have had sustained success with multiple QB's, including winning a superbowl with a non-elite QB and transforming an offense around a unique QB (who is electric and dynamic - but obviously with limits).  

Smart to keep people.  After the Packers won the Super Bowl back in 2010 a lot of guys left and it created a brain drain.  I think its why the Packers had some bad drafts for a few years. 

4 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Smart to keep people.  After the Packers won the Super Bowl back in 2010 a lot of guys left and it created a brain drain.  I think its why the Packers had some bad drafts for a few years. 

And I think for many - the grass isn't always greener. Smart to be in an organization with a ton of stability, especially if said organization also pays you well.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

And I think for many - the grass isn't always greener. Smart to be in an organization with a ton of stability, especially if said organization also pays you well.  

Packers have kept some guys like Elliot Wolf and Brian Gutekunst by giving them more money, but if a GM spot is available its hard to keep those guys. 

15 hours ago, scs787 said:

One thing I think that has been overlooked in all this.. the Bears may have found fixes to the interior of the line, but Charles Leno, who plays probably the most important position on the OL is ranked 47th in pressures allowed among OTs. That has to be fixed. This draft is supposed to be pretty good for OT.

Agreed. this needs to be the first round priority. If there aren't any left when they pick, its different.

46 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

John Dorsey in three years at KC drafted Mahomes, Kelce and Hill.  Three probable HOF players.  He then went to the Browns and drafted Mayfield and is responsible for most of the players on the team that is about to be in the playoffs for the first time in almost 20 years.  Not to mention the two super bowls he helped win in GB. 

Like maybe teams are overthinking this. 

Are you saying Mayfield is a good or bad pick? Because he definitely wasnt the Browns best pick that draft and he may be the 3rd best qb from it. 

1 hour ago, Soxbadger said:

Are you saying Mayfield is a good or bad pick? Because he definitely wasnt the Browns best pick that draft and he may be the 3rd best qb from it. 

Yeah, probably should have picked Allen or Jackson, but I still like Mayfield.  One bad season last year, but I think he has been pretty good besides that.  Was actually a pretty good QB draft when you look at it.  I still think Darnold has some talent, would like to see him not on the Jets.

As far as the other Browns picks, Ward and Chubb were also good picks.

14 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Yeah, probably should have picked Allen or Jackson, but I still like Mayfield.  One bad season last year, but I think he has been pretty good besides that.  Was actually a pretty good QB draft when you look at it.  I still think Darnold has some talent, would like to see him not on the Jets.

As far as the other Browns picks, Ward and Chubb were also good picks.

He should get credit for “not darnold”.

Im not sure there is a draft that underscores how much I hate nfl media (but especially nfl draft Twitter) more than that one.

Buffalo was just crushed for drafting Allen. Jets were thrilled to get Darnold.

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

He should get credit for “not darnold”.

Im not sure there is a draft that underscores how much I hate nfl media (but especially nfl draft Twitter) more than that one.

Buffalo was just crushed for drafting Allen. Jets were thrilled to get Darnold.

The draft can be really fun and I enjoy the spectacle of it, but there is way too much instant opinion right after the draft on who did a good job and who did bad job on players who haven't played one snap. 

Got a full dose of that this year when the Packers didn't take a WR.  People are still doing articles about it after Rodgers threw 900 tds this year.