NFL Thread 2020-2021

bmags

The system is so broken. Colleen Kane asked George "What did you hear from Ryan and Matt that made you confident in keeping them? What was their plan?" 

He talked about how they communicated well, they like work together, they were well-spoken and strong in their convictions. 

How are George and Ted qualified to make these decisions? What do they know more than any of us about what the right plan is to take this team to a Super Bowl? 

14 minutes ago, Tony said:

As expected, this presser from Ted and George is brutal. 

It's just getting worse and worse.  It's like as they keep getting these questions about accountability, they are slowly realizing that this is really in bad shape 

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

It's just getting worse and worse.  It's like as they keep getting these questions about accountability, they are slowly realizing that this is really in bad shape 

They gave them 4-5 talking points to use, and just keep hammering them. 

The problem is the talking points are wrong. They are trying to protect themselves and gave zero thought to how this will play with the media. I just don't understand how franchises continue to get this wrong year after year. 

7 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

It was pretty evident that George & Ted had no plan and I think they basically realized we have no plan, are a week behind, and aren't going to be able to pivot fast enough - we better just stick with these guys.  Zero thought process and macro view at the top - so indicative of WHY this organization won't change without finding a very strong and powerful football leader who is at the top.  

55 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Which honestly - might be the right thing for the franchise to do. I just want to have a president or someone else who has a longer term contract in here who can help be a part of that evaluation process (who is also evaluating Pace & Nagy and the whole enterprise).  I don't want everything just falling on two potential lame ducks. I complained 2 years ago when the Bears were borrowing into the future and that was when they were coming off a 12 win season.  I think there are only absolute rare situations where you borrow into the future and I don't even think they did anything meaningful with some of the Mack money they pushed out, etc.  

Those things irk me a ton. They go against almost everything I stand for on a financial side of the house, etc.   

This is why I don't like it. Jones might end up incredible, as I've said I've kinda given up acting like I know when a Qb could be good.

But, I think this is fair, when it inevitably ends next year and they get rid of Pace and Nagy the scenario I mention means handing over to a new front office 1) A QB they have to stick with B) less assets c) Still cap issues.

Next year could have been a bite the bullet year. Now it could be next 2 years, 3 years. 

They are going to convince themselves they can get an incredible 2017 saints draft out of this but they don't have the coach or the QB to make it matter.

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

This is why I don't like it. Jones might end up incredible, as I've said I've kinda given up acting like I know when a Qb could be good.

But, I think this is fair, when it inevitably ends next year and they get rid of Pace and Nagy the scenario I mention means handing over to a new front office 1) A QB they have to stick with B) less assets c) Still cap issues.

Next year could have been a bite the bullet year. Now it could be next 2 years, 3 years. 

They are going to convince themselves they can get an incredible 2017 saints draft out of this but they don't have the coach or the QB to make it matter.

It is why I want a president. If the president ends up evaluating and saying - hey Pace is actually really good, this is a coaching issue, fine. If the president evaluates and goes, those are good moves, etc - you still have stability. I do agree with you the only reservation is if Nagy isn't the guy - than you are shifting systems with a young QB - and I'm never a big fan of that, but I can live with it if we aren't talking about a top 5 type of pick.  

Right now - I think you have to take a QB - just know you may take another one in a year (if you are at the top of the draft - and that can be okay).  I probably prefer round 2 - but if I'm Pace - I swing - if Jones looks good, Pace probably saves his job and who knows, maybe Nagy does as well.  It could be Trubisky is back with a young QB and they invest in the oline. If that is the case - probably a wasted season, but it would still be a solid direction forward.  

I really just wanted that new head to really spearhead this thing and get a complete view of the org and over the course of the year come to conclusions and move forward.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

It is why I want a president. If the president ends up evaluating and saying - hey Pace is actually really good, this is a coaching issue, fine. If the president evaluates and goes, those are good moves, etc - you still have stability. I do agree with you the only reservation is if Nagy isn't the guy - than you are shifting systems with a young QB - and I'm never a big fan of that, but I can live with it if we aren't talking about a top 5 type of pick.  

Right now - I think you have to take a QB - just know you may take another one in a year (if you are at the top of the draft - and that can be okay).  I probably prefer round 2 - but if I'm Pace - I swing - if Jones looks good, Pace probably saves his job and who knows, maybe Nagy does as well.  It could be Trubisky is back with a young QB and they invest in the oline. If that is the case - probably a wasted season, but it would still be a solid direction forward.  

I really just wanted that new head to really spearhead this thing and get a complete view of the org and over the course of the year come to conclusions and move forward.  

I agree on the president, it's just the more I think about that the more it still seems backwards that we'd force two prove-it guys under him/her.

Just now, bmags said:

I agree on the president, it's just the more I think about that the more it still seems backwards that we'd force two prove-it guys under him/her.

I assume it would have been more of a - here you go - do what you want with them.  Take a year to evaluate but you have a green light however you see fit.  I don't see why you have to wait until the off-season to bring in a president either.  

I don't know if any of you follow dabearsblog but it really really irritates/makes me laugh how all of last year he was just adamant that trubisky was so bad he just torpedoed all of Nagy's offense and how much the coaching staff all pointed to Foles as the guy that could run it.

Then foles puts together a run worse than Trubisky and worse than a John Fox offense, the team goes 8-8 and after he lays down his own benchmark to hit of wanting to rather see the bears lose to the packers and miss the playoffs in a 35-28 game that continued their offensive progress, getting the absolute opposite...

and then turning around and just doing the "it's all mitch's fault" and be human they just missed a QB and it happens. 

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't know if any of you follow dabearsblog but it really really irritates/makes me laugh how all of last year he was just adamant that trubisky was so bad he just torpedoed all of Nagy's offense and how much the coaching staff all pointed to Foles as the guy that could run it.

Then foles puts together a run worse than Trubisky and worse than a John Fox offense, the team goes 8-8 and after he lays down his own benchmark to hit of wanting to rather see the bears lose to the packers and miss the playoffs in a 35-28 game that continued their offensive progress, getting the absolute opposite...

and then turning around and just doing the "it's all mitch's fault" and be human they just missed a QB and it happens. 

Guy is a complete fraud. He's bears ownership in fan form

So they had two days of long discussions. Are at a crossroads.

And the only changes they can articulate is that they fired the defensive coordinator when the worst part of the team was the offense?

cool cool cool

6 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Unless Pace got an extension a year ago or something and it was just unreported.  

All of the beat reporters think he has been extended at some point over the last few years.  The Bears just won't say it

3 minutes ago, Saufley said:

Chicago Bears. Who really cares anymore!

Not until March, when my season ticket money is due.

Edit: Scratch that, they have my money from last year. Not until August!

Edited by ptatc

On the brightside - based upon some quotes I saw from the press conference - it doesn't look like they intend to bring Mitch back. No direct comment on it - but pretty clear they aren't defending or looking at those final few weeks in the regular season as indication that he's a changed man.  

If they can dangle Fuller, Hicks and Mack and get a few more picks and start to shift things and actually view it as - to save our jobs we need to build an offense - than maybe this won't  be so bad. Trying to find the glass half full piece.  I actually would somewhat feel better if I knew Pace got an extension and had another 3 or 4 years under contract because it would at least imply that he has incentive to think of the long (even if Nagy has less of it).  

I don't want Pace that long - but I almost prefer that to a total short sided move that puts this thing even worse off than it is now.  

29 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

On the brightside - based upon some quotes I saw from the press conference - it doesn't look like they intend to bring Mitch back. No direct comment on it - but pretty clear they aren't defending or looking at those final few weeks in the regular season as indication that he's a changed man.  

If they can dangle Fuller, Hicks and Mack and get a few more picks and start to shift things and actually view it as - to save our jobs we need to build an offense - than maybe this won't  be so bad. Trying to find the glass half full piece.  I actually would somewhat feel better if I knew Pace got an extension and had another 3 or 4 years under contract because it would at least imply that he has incentive to think of the long (even if Nagy has less of it).  

I don't want Pace that long - but I almost prefer that to a total short sided move that puts this thing even worse off than it is now.  

My worry is that Mitch was a bad QB but also the best QB that Pace has brought onto this team.