AL MVP Race

Quin

MLB released their MVP power rankings today and here's their AL contenders, in order:

1. Mike Trout
  2. Shane Bieber
  3. Nelson Cruz
  4. Tim Anderson
  5. Jose Abreu

Am I the only one who has issues with the top two - specifically because they make no sense when paired at the top.

You can only give it to Trout if he's getting it for being the best hitter in the league, for which we already have the Hank Aaron award. In past years, sure, he can miss the postseason and win the award, but now that 8 teams are making it and the Angels don't, it's hard to see him rack up MVPs and not sneak into the playoffs, even if it's not his fault.

On the flip side, Bieber is way, way more deserving if we're making it an all-around award, because he's keeping the Indians in the race. But voters seem to be docking pitchers due to the existence of the Cy Young. So if it's an award for batters (the Trout argument), shouldn't it go to one of the three guys putting their team in postseason contention?

• Like 1

If the Sox make the playoffs and Jose doesn't fall off the map the rest of the regular season and wind up at .250 or something, I think he'll get it as a lifetime good person/player achievement award. Nobody knows if Jose is going to keep bashing or taper off with a 1 for 30 or something. TA could get it too for his being a young star.

Edited by greg775

It still amazes me how little love Jose and this team gets nationally (Even this division especially from the coasts). So that being said, Jose is going to have to go out and keep doing what he's been doing. Contend in rbis, hrs, and extend that 22 game hitting streak to 39. (39 because there's 17 games left)

Edited by smellysox

4 hours ago, Quin said:

MLB released their MVP power rankings today and here's their AL contenders, in order:

1. Mike Trout
  2. Shane Bieber
  3. Nelson Cruz
  4. Tim Anderson
  5. Jose Abreu

Am I the only one who has issues with the top two - specifically because they make no sense when paired at the top.

You can only give it to Trout if he's getting it for being the best hitter in the league, for which we already have the Hank Aaron award. In past years, sure, he can miss the postseason and win the award, but now that 8 teams are making it and the Angels don't, it's hard to see him rack up MVPs and not sneak into the playoffs, even if it's not his fault.

On the flip side, Bieber is way, way more deserving if we're making it an all-around award, because he's keeping the Indians in the race. But voters seem to be docking pitchers due to the existence of the Cy Young. So if it's an award for batters (the Trout argument), shouldn't it go to one of the three guys putting their team in postseason contention?

I have no problem with your cromulent logic .

I'd prefer a White Sox player (Abreu, Anderson, Robert, Keuchel, Giolito) win the Willie Mays World Series Most Valuable Player Award.

Of the three primary contenders, Bieber's contribution is single-handidly keeping Cleveland in it, Abreu's support will be watered down with votes going to other White Sox. Joe Maddon's Angels are worse than Brad Ausmus', between that and Trout's WAR not sure why he is considered the position player favorite beyond reputation.

One last comment. The biggest loss in run differential would be the loss of Robert, primarily because of the defense he provides and the major hole he is asked to cover. Anderson would be the next most difficult to replace. The offense drops off significantly without Abreu, but the Sox have a players at least who can man his position. I think there is a possibility Eloy Jimenez would suffer a tragic accident if he didn't have Robert to cover his position to the extent he does. 

Bieber deserves it hands down. His WAR is almost 3 times higher than Trouts. TA is a close second IMO. I love JA too, but

Timmy does it in the field as well as at the plate. I understand about separate awards, but once in a while a pitcher

dominates the game.

Edited by zisk
add

4 minutes ago, zisk said:

Bieber deserves it hands down. His WAR is almost 3 times higher than Trouts. TA is a close second IMO. I love JA too, but

Timmy does it in the field as well as at the plate. I understand about separate awards, but once in a while a pitcher

dominates the game.

A huge part about being an elite starter is throwing 220 innings and making 30+ starts. There are plenty of starters in baseball history who have completely dominated 10 game stretches. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

A huge part about being an elite starter is throwing 220 innings and making 30+ starts. There are plenty of starters in baseball history who have completely dominated 10 game stretches. 

A valid point. If Bieber continues this for every start though, it couldn't be ignored. He's putting up 1968 Bob Gibson numbers in a lively ball age.

16 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Not that I disagree with you but there are also hitters who tear the cover off the baseball for 2 months. Just playin Devils advocate, you can argue that both ways.

Just now, DoUEvenShift said:

Not that I disagree with you but there are also hitters who tear the cover off the baseball for 2 months. Just playin Devils advocate, you can argue that both ways.

a player being good everyday for 2 months is more significant than a pitcher being good for 2 weeks worth of games. 

imo as I said above i think the most valuable thing about an elite starter is the work load. without it, i just think giving the pitcher that award is awful. i hate it with a full season though too.