AL MVP Race

Quin

Rosenthal:

But the White Sox also have two and possibly three candidates, if you count center fielder Luis Robert along with first baseman José Abreu and shortstop Tim Anderson. The Athletic’s James Fegan wrote about the fascinating choice between Abreu and Anderson, pointing out that Anderson is the offensive equal of Abreu while playing a more difficult position, providing better baserunning and ranking third to Rendon and Trout in fWAR.

Abreu leads the AL in RBIs by a wide margin, had a 22-game hitting streak and hit six homers in a three-game series at Wrigley Field. Anderson, though, actually boasts a higher OPS, .994-.981. And while Abreu is a veteran leader, particularly for the team’s younger Cuban players, Robert and third baseman Yoán Moncada, Anderson offers intangible value, too.

https://theathletic.com/2067811/2020/09/15/rosenthal-assessing-mvp-races-padres-surprise-weapon-mookie-at-second-more-notes/

I actually think that after modernizing quite a bit, this may be the year that MVP voters go to more traditional stats which may lean in sox favor. Rendon and Trout have been sensational...but it really does leave a certain taste in your mouth to celebrate such a crap team.

If TA can finish with batting title and keep up his power numbers, I actually think it's his.

Which ... is the most incredible thing. Absolutely incredible.

• Like 2

Hand up - I'd have to dig into my posts from 2-3 years ago, but i was wrong on TA. He's always been one of my favorite players on the team, i just didn't see this next level as a possibility. Right now, just on eye test I give the slight edge to TA as the MVP on this team, and therefore the league. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SkokieSox said:

Remember when everyone was pissed that Abreu was extended?

Not me. I loved the extension. His mentorship and recruiting was enough to warrant that contract. The great baseball play is the cherry on top. And maybe he is playing better on a winner and is even more motivated. 

Edited by SonofaRoache
  • Like 2

If they factor in the clubhouse chemistry, leadership, recruiting, mentorship, in addition to the improved defense and bashing of baseball. Abreu is the clear MVP of the first place White Sox and the American League. 

On the other hand, Tim has blossomed into such a pure smart hitter it’s amazing. And we saw when he was out of the lineup, how much we struggled without that top of lineup base runner. The eye test also shows he has made improvements in his defense, which has been his glaring black hole. He’s also a great role model.

Its great to even be having this

conversation.

• Like 1

I didn't realize Angels had played better as of late. If they were in NL they'd have a shot, but looks like AL Central's 3rd place team + Yanks have this wrapped up now. That said, if they make it close it's probably trout again?

It's going to be interesting. The counting stats are really in sox favor right now, and there wasn't enough of a season for WAR to be available to hit people over the head with for Trout.

7 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

If they factor in the clubhouse chemistry, leadership, recruiting, mentorship, in addition to the improved defense and bashing of baseball. Abreu is the clear MVP of the first place White Sox and the American League. 

On the other hand, Tim has blossomed into such a pure smart hitter it’s amazing. And we saw when he was out of the lineup, how much we struggled without that top of lineup base runner. The eye test also shows he has made improvements in his defense, which has been his glaring black hole. He’s also a great role model.

Its great to even be having this

conversation.

I'm leaning TA because of the bolded. This offense is not the same without him. That said, it really can't be stressed how much better Abreu looks on defense. He really has worked his ass off to keep himself productive as he's aged. He's the man.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I didn't realize Angels had played better as of late. If they were in NL they'd have a shot, but looks like AL Central's 3rd place team + Yanks have this wrapped up now. That said, if they make it close it's probably trout again?

It's going to be interesting. The counting stats are really in sox favor right now, and there wasn't enough of a season for WAR to be available to hit people over the head with for Trout.

The angels have two very good candidates in trout and rendon.

Sox also basically have 3 candidates.

Apart from the sox and Angels guys of course nelson cruz is the 6th candidate.

I think abreu, cruz and trout are the front runners but cruz could have an advantage if the sox and Angels guys are splitting votes with their teammates. 

Like I said at the top of the thread, I think MVP can't go to best hitter any longer with expanded playoffs if the best hitter misses the playoffs.

In Rendon and Trout miss the playoffs, well, that's a really hard sell when over half the AL makes it. Give one of them the Hank Aaron and make a bigger deal of that, like we do the Cy Young.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm leaning TA because of the bolded. This offense is not the same without him. That said, it really can't be stressed how much better Abreu looks on defense. He really has worked his ass off to keep himself productive as he's aged. He's the man.

I'm leaning TA as well, but with a nod to Jose. I think in a way TA claimed this years MVP with the bat flip last year. It wasn't the flip itself but rather the attitude behind it that even though the W/L record didn't show it yet, this team was a winner and didn't have to be afraid to act as such and let the baseball world know it. The team feeds off that today and although it could lead to brattiness, Abreu's steady veteran influence keeps that in check.

Edited by SpringfieldFan

I don't think the advance stat types can Justify Trout when if going by fWAR hes behind his own team mate and they're on a horrendous club. He would have to be chasing the triple crown or head and shoulders above the league to justify it. Personally I think it goes to Abreu in the shortened season by way of his production. I could also see it going to Tim, ultimately it winds up on the South Side. 

Tim is now leading the AL in fWAR despite missing games. 

He's also catching Tatis for the MLB lead despite having played 12 fewer games so far. On a rate basis, Tim Anderson has been the best player in baseball this year. 

Jose has been healthy and huge and likely will get the MVP over Tim, but Tim Anderson is the best damn player in the game right now. 

When you break models and you break systems, you truly become one of the GOATS. So much talent; such great hands. Let's go TA74MVP

• Like 2