Sox vs. Tigers. 9/11 - 7:10

Bad Hombre

8 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

If Grandal was DH and McCann got injured, can Grandal not shift to catcher? Doesn't it just mean the pitcher bats the rest of the game?

You give up the DH spot if the DH goes and plays defense. So yes. 

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

You give up the DH spot if the DH goes and plays defense. So yes. 

People always say that you can't DH the other catcher. The chances of McCann getting injured are pretty slim. Roll the damn dice and play them both. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

If Grandal was DH and McCann got injured, can Grandal not shift to catcher? Doesn't it just mean the pitcher bats the rest of the game?

He could and most likely would, with pinch hitters used the rest of the way in a close game. Would really hurt with an early injury, as 2-3 PH attempts would deplete the bench vs. a likely 4 or 5% chance a pitcher would reach base. Also impacts bullpen management in a close game, replacing pitchers due to pinch hitting vs. pitching considerations.

The 2020 extra inning rules makes proceeding with the backup catcher at DH slightly more palatable, as the likelihood of a game beyond the 10th/11th inning is reduced,

9 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

People always say that you can't DH the other catcher. The chances of McCann getting injured are pretty slim. Roll the damn dice and play them both. 

Not to mention we could always swap TA7 to catch and throw Leury at short in an emergency.

• Thanks 1

Fun pitching matchup tonight. I've got a good feeling Giolito will have his A game tonight. Mize might keep up for 4-5 but I think we will break him open before his night is through. 

EDIT: My good feeling was probably the fact that he has been on fire for 4 starts and I realized that without realizing that lol. Not exactly a hot take

Edited by gusguyman

Slowed down his body/arm action a bit on that first change-up to Reyes.

You wonder why hitters don't sit on that one pitch, when he's throwing it 36% of the time, but that only works if you can get ahead in the count.

Starting off dominant with those 96 MPH high riding fastballs, 2 batters, 2 k's, swinging outside of the zone...looks like White Sox typical at-bats the last decade, actually.

Edited by caulfield12