ReyLo to start on Saturday

southsider2k5

There's no "there there" with him.  His fastball is flat and he has zero command on it.  His breaking ball is essentially a show me pitch.  His changeup?  Ha, there are high school pitchers with better changeups.  

While the White Sox have holistically done a helluva job rebuilding they continue to have a weak spot when it comes to over holding failed players.  Reylo simply is not a MLB pitcher at the moment.  Maybe a miracle happens and he becomes one on Saturday but wish in one hand and shit in the other and see what fills up first.  It's fine to trot out guys like Reylo and Covey when you aren't contending but not anymore.  

I guess this is why Gio pitched the other night?  Or not?  Like, what was the point of that move relative to this one?  I'm honestly curious.  I figured they were trying to get him stretched out a bit so he could start Saturday and go 3-5 innings.  Just puzzling moves.  I guess after Reylo inevitably runs into trouble in the first 4 innings, Gio will be called on to try and mop up.  

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Poor scared little boy.

I've been as harsh on him as anybody and his mental state is obviously not great but if I was going up there with his stuff I'd look scared too.  It's not simply that he's a headcase with talent -- there's no talent.  Pitcher true talent level changes rapidly in today's training environments.  If you don't put in the work in the pitching labs in the offseason, or even if you do but aren't able to harness the instruction and take it to gameday, you're not gonna survive.  

His true talent right now is AAAA guy.  He should probably just have been waived and traded for a PTBNL or cash before he gets non tendered and is lost for nothing this offseason.  He's not even going to be worth the 1.5-2 million he'll get in arb.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I've been as harsh on him as anybody and his mental state is obviously not great but if I was going up there with his stuff I'd look scared too.  It's not simply that he's a headcase with talent -- there's no talent.  Pitcher true talent level changes rapidly in today's training environments.  If you don't put in the work in the pitching labs in the offseason, or even if you do but aren't able to harness the instruction and take it to gameday, you're not gonna survive.  

His true talent right now is AAAA guy.  He should probably just have been waived and traded for a PTBNL or cash before he gets non tendered and is lost for nothing this offseason.  He's not even going to be worth the 1.5-2 million he'll get in arb.

Or he certainly looks like he’s about to poop the bed and cry with every pitch for a reason.

10 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I disagree that he was no talent. He showed pretty good in 2018. The talent is there however he has trouble harnessing it and can't control it. He is not the only pitcher in history to have talent but just can't get it together. Nor is he the only athlete that this has happened to. Just look to Soldier Field. Trubiskey has all the talent in the world. Unfortunately, on game day he just can't put it together. 

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I disagree that he was no talent. He showed pretty good in 2018. The talent is there however he has trouble harnessing it and can't control it. He is not the only pitcher in history to have talent but just can't get it together. Nor is he the only athlete that this has happened to. Just look to Soldier Field. Trubiskey has all the talent in the world. Unfortunately, on game day he just can't put it together. 

My only remaining hope for Lopez is that he can become an asset out of the pen by going back to max velo / effort.

I was absolutely on his side from 2017 - 2019 but this has been a complete poop show.

Would be nice to attempt to win the Division, but I understand the thought process of giving Reynaldo more opportunities vs. having a slightly higher win probability by going with Gonzalez to start. If this was a playoff game, I'd be spewing expletives, but it isn't, and Gio is a better option following an opener than vice versa, so it makes sense. 

18 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Would be nice to attempt to win the Division, but I understand the thought process of giving Reynaldo more opportunities vs. having a slightly higher win probability by going with Gonzalez to start. If this was a playoff game, I'd be spewing expletives, but it isn't, and Gio is a better option following an opener than vice versa, so it makes sense. 

It is obvious they didn't really WANT to give him another chance this year, they just didn't have any other options.  With Gio being only good for a few innings, Rodon still not being back, Dallas getting an extra start off, etc, there just isn't much left.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Or he certainly looks like he’s about to poop the bed and cry with every pitch for a reason.

And...he takes forever to do it.  He needs to pick up the tempo and try going after the hitter.  When you have nothing to lose...try doing something different.

• Like 1

It is not great to trot him out there but currently the sox have no alternative. Rodon is toast too and then you have Keuchel, giolito, cease, dunning and gonzalez/reylo 

Sure you could do a bullpen game and that might give the sox a better chance to win but the pen already was taxed a lot and needs to be fresh for the post season. Better lose a game than sinking the pen.

If the sox didn't want him to pitch this year they would have needed to trade for a starter. But now they simply need to roll with what they have and hope for the best.

Next year you might need an upgrade (hopefully kopech is that) but this year those guys are what you have.

4 hours ago, Mokena94 said:

IF the forecast is accurate, tonight could be a rain out. That could be beneficial for the Sox, with a 7 inning DH tomorrow, and only having to cover 14 innings on the mound.

2 hours ago, harkness99 said:

looking at the radar... it looks like the rain may be gone by tonight... but looks like lots of rain

Rain should be gone by around 4.  I highly doubt it gets postponed.