#3 Starter for Playoffs

ron883

#3 Starter for Playoffs?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. #3 Starter for Playoffs?

• Dunning
    • Cease
    • Other

I would say whoever has the best last 2-3 starts. Dunning was excellent but he also had a very easy schedule only facing Pittsburg, KC and detroit.

Obviously cease faced them a lot too as they are the teams in the division but at least cease had some starts against cleveland and one against the cubs too.

So I would like him to beat (or look good at least) at least one good team. 

6 hours ago, Orlando said:

Should be Dunning. Will be Cease

This is what I’m afraid of too.  And while only nine games, Dylan hasn’t really shown much progress this year (which the game log below supports).  I’ve pretty much seen all his starts except this last one and he’s mostly been bad despite a nice looking ERA.

8e752058-6535-4891-b6ff-8fc704579bd5

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is what I’m afraid of too.  And while only nine games, Dylan hasn’t really shown much progress this year (which the game log below supports).  I’ve pretty much seen all his starts except this last one and he’s mostly been bad despite a nice looking ERA.

Yes I agree. I feel Like I know this team well enough to know that they won’t knock Cease back in the rotation. He has been very lucky this year. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

1. DK

2. Giolito

3. Dunning until he sucks then Gio G

4. Cease until he sucks and then Rodon

I'd start DK game 1 as he has been our most consistent pitcher and isn't likely to have a game 1 or game 7 meltdown in the first inning. 

I dig.

10 hours ago, Orlando said:

Should be Dunning. Will be Cease

This

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And this

Based on performance it should be Dunning's to lose.  But for non-performance related reasons it will be Cease.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

1. DK

2. Giolito

3. Dunning until he sucks then Gio G

4. Cease until he sucks and then Rodon

I'd start DK game 1 as he has been our most consistent pitcher and isn't likely to have a game 1 or game 7 meltdown in the first inning. 

You got to go with Giolito with as your #1 even if he can be a little inconsistent.  The reality is this team is going to need a mix of luck and some hot streaks in order to go the distance and Lucas has the potential to dominate games unlike Dallas.  We need the ball in Giolito’s hands as much as possible come October and that means slotting him in the #1 spot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You got to go with Giolito with as your #1 even if he can be a little inconsistent.  The reality is this team is going to need a mix of luck and some hot streaks in order to go the distance and Lucas has the potential to dominate games unlike Dallas.  We need the ball in Giolito’s hands as much as possible come October and that means slotting him in the #1 spot.

I think both have been dominant for the most part. But Gio is most like to meltdown in the first inning taking you out of a game. He also needs James to catch for him apparently, so anything goes off schedule and may get smoked. DK also has post season experience and rarely losses focus and command. Remember, the beloved Mark B had to take a back seat to Contreras. Hell, Giolito may end next season as our number 3 if we sign Bauer. Which would be a great thing for this team. 

9 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I think both have been dominant for the most part. But Gio is most like to meltdown in the first inning taking you out of a game. He also needs James to catch for him apparently, so anything goes off schedule and may get smoked. DK also has post season experience and rarely losses focus and command. Remember, the beloved Mark B had to take a back seat to Contreras. Hell, Giolito may end next season as our number 3 if we sign Bauer. Which would be a great thing for this team. 

Buehrle took a back seat to Contreras because Joss had much superior stuff than Mark, just like Lucas does in comparison to Dallas.  Don’t get me wrong, I like what Keuchel has brought to the table this year, but come October I want the guy who can miss bats if my season is on the line and that’s Giolito.

Dunning is my #3 going into next year too. Cease will be 4 and FA/ Kopech when he is ready at 5. 

Unless Bauer is our FA. Then Dunning is 4 and Cease is 5. With Kopech stretching out in April at AAA.

Don't get me wrong, I think Kopech has the stuff to be top 2. Just not sure its next year.

Edited by smellysox

54 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Buehrle took a back seat to Contreras because Joss had much superior stuff than Mark, just like Lucas does in comparison to Dallas.  Don’t get me wrong, I like what Keuchel has brought to the table this year, but come October I want the guy who can miss bats if my season is on the line and that’s Giolito.

Yeah but Gio also misses the strike zone periodically and gets rattled. When he strikes guys out chances are he won't go more than 6 either. I think the best chance we have against Houston, Yankees, or Twins is to use our ground ball consistent pitcher game 1. Gio is an outstanding talent and has done a great job, but i think he would do wonders as our game 2 guy. 

18 minutes ago, smellysox said:

Dunning is my #3 going into next year too. Cease will be 4 and FA/ Kopech when he is ready at 5. 

Unless Bauer is our FA. Then Dunning is 4 and Cease is 5. With Kopech stretching out in April at AAA.

Don't get me wrong, I think Kopech has the stuff to be top 2. Just not sure its next year.

Kopech needs to start next season as our number 5. That would mean we are probably AL favorites. 

Bauer, Elite-O, DK, Dunning/Cease, Kopech.