ron883

#3 Starter for Playoffs?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. #3 Starter for Playoffs?

• Dunning
    • Cease
    • Other

9 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Kopech needs to start next season as our number 5. That would mean we are probably AL favorites. 

Bauer, Elite-O, DK, Dunning/Cease, Kopech. 

Kopech should start in AAA on an innings limit to potentially extend his season with Dunning & Cease as the #4 & #5 starters respectively.  If everyone is healthy, he should get called up in June once we regain a year of control and can replace the weakest link.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Kopech needs to start next season as our number 5. That would mean we are probably AL favorites. 

yeah, that is what i really wish for. I think Gio gets the #1 spot no matter though, since he has earned it. Unless sox get DeGrom, otherwise anyone else slots at 2. I really think Kopech at 4 (in June) may make more sense though after DK. that change of pace in a series would be nuts. Going DK, Kopech, Dunning then back to Gio has a real nice variety of pitches and speed. I think long term Dunning settles in as the #4 though. 

2021 - Gio, Bauer, DK, Kopech, Dunning is the ultimate goal. But Cease can slot in at either 4 or 5 for the first couple months and then if he has figured it out could potentially knock Dunning out.

Edited by EloyJenkins

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Kopech should start in AAA on an innings limit to potentially extend his season with Dunning & Cease as the #4 & #5 starters respectively.  If everyone is healthy, he should get called up in June once we regain a year of control and can replace the weakest link.

I mean start next seasom as when he comes up. My order is also based on that moment's talent expectation, not the actual rotation order. 

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Are you one of the 20 or so who missed on Mazara HR prediction ?

Great question. I’m not sure if I ever posted a Mazara home run prediction here, but I’ve definitely texted my brother during games at least 17 times saying “Here comes his first homer”. 😂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Great question. I’m not sure if I ever posted a Mazara home run prediction here, but I’ve definitely texted my brother during games at least 17 times saying “Here comes his first homer”. 😂

Haha,  as long as you know your feelings can't be trusted.

On 9/11/2020 at 11:16 PM, Tony said:

I think the competition is pretty open right now actually, it’s who’s hottest going into that series. I’d still probably lean Cease, but if Dunning continues his run, it’s probably him. 

I'd also lean Cease if it's a best of 3. He has great stuff, but not great command. I'd rather use him on a tight leash and hope for 3-4 innings and his stuff to get him through. Dunning seems to be more polished, maybe he's an option to come in early. Either way, the offense will need to be ready and either guy would have to be on a very tight leash. 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 12:52 PM, SonofaRoache said:

Are the White Sox going to spend huge  money for Bauer? Don't they have to pay Giolioto still also? The current names look really good as well. Clearly, I'd love to sign Bauer, but they have a young rotation of studs and high level potential. I would definitely expect them to add competition (similar to Gio) for the #5 spot though.Insert other media

20 minutes ago, spiderman said:

Are the White Sox going to spend huge  money for Bauer? Don't they have to pay Giolioto still also? The current names look really good as well. Clearly, I'd love to sign Bauer, but they have a young rotation of studs and high level potential. I would definitely expect them to add competition (similar to Gio) for the #5 spot though.Insert other media

Bauer wants year to year contracts so he works well. And Gio is here another 3 years before an enormous salary. We have talent but we don't have two seasons to wait for them to figure things out. 

26 minutes ago, spiderman said:

I'd also lean Cease if it's a best of 3. He has great stuff, but not great command. I'd rather use him on a tight leash and hope for 3-4 innings and his stuff to get him through. Dunning seems to be more polished, maybe he's an option to come in early. Either way, the offense will need to be ready and either guy would have to be on a very tight leash. 

If we are in a game three do or die Cease cannot start by himself.  We'd have to go Cease until he sucks and then Rodon/Dunning/ and bullpen.

I think my order is this ... Giolito, Dunning, Keuchel, Cease, Gio, etc. 

Cease is a disaster waiting to happen. not saying he doesn't have good stuff, but I think he's still likely a year or so from it all clicking finally. Hopefully it clicks for him like it did for giolito and not like lopez. 

But I'd want Keuchel on the mound in a game 3. 

On 9/15/2020 at 2:47 PM, BrianAnderson said:

I think my order is this ... Giolito, Dunning, Keuchel, Cease, Gio, etc. 

Cease is a disaster waiting to happen. not saying he doesn't have good stuff, but I think he's still likely a year or so from it all clicking finally. Hopefully it clicks for him like it did for giolito and not like lopez. 

But I'd want Keuchel on the mound in a game 3. 

Can you imagine Cease facing off against the Yankees with all of their bats coming back? It would be a dinger fest.

The more I think about it, with Kopech coming back and likely with increased COVID "budget issues" JR may force the FO to get a lower priced starter rather than someone like Bauer. 

I can see them signing Q for a 1 year deal since coming off injuries his market may be limited and they are already familiar with him (a 1 yr prove it deal also allows Q to reestablish value and then hit the market again while also buying the Sox time to see if other young arms are ready to start by 2022).

1 Giolito

2 Keuchel

3 Dunning

4 Quintana

5 Kopech/Cease

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I don't want to see Cease at all in the playoffs.  He needs to figure it out because he's been awful all year and has gotten extremely lucky to have an ERA under 5.

Yeah his FIP is well over 5 and his K to BB rate is very bad. He does have stuff but he needs to improve his control a lot. Missing the zone by a bit is ok but he has a lot of pitches that miss by two feet. He needs to work on that in the offseason.

I still would want him in a bullpen role for the post season as his stuff could play up in relief.