#3 Starter for Playoffs?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. #3 Starter for Playoffs?

• Dunning
    • Cease
    • Other

31 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Why does dunning need an opener?

He doesn't need one but while he has good command his stuff is not super overpowering so I would like an opener taking care of the first 4-5 guys the first time through. Doesn't need that against Detroit and KC but could help against a playoff offense.

12 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

He doesn't need one but while he has good command his stuff is not super overpowering so I would like an opener taking care of the first 4-5 guys the first time through. Doesn't need that against Detroit and KC but could help against a playoff offense.

this is a weird argument.  Do we need an opener for keuchel now too?  Dunning has more “overpowering” stuff than keuchel does.  

33 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I don't want to see Cease at all in the playoffs.  He needs to figure it out because he's been awful all year and has gotten extremely lucky to have an ERA under 5.

Same

he has actually regressed from last year.  He looks like dogshit out there.  easily the luckiest pitcher in the league this year

Edited by ChiSox1917
  • Like 1

On 9/24/2020 at 4:16 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

Gross.  This organization should be completely embarrassed if they start Cease over Dunning in a game three.

I think they know he has no clue where it’s going.  Probably were holding out hope he’d catch fire against the cubs and parlay that into sone playoff confidence.  Ship, please set sail. 

6 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

I think they know he has no clue where it’s going.  Probably were holding out hope he’d catch fire against the cubs and parlay that into sone playoff confidence.  Ship, please set sail. 

Does any other pitcher in baseball have hitters smacking the ball around the park on 99 MPH as much as Cease ?

Will the Sox dare to use Lopez in a 3rd game based on his most recent performances being better than Dunning or Cease ? Do they do a BP game starting Dunning or Cease with extremely short leashes ? Depending on the opponent do you start a RH or LH in game 3 then switch quickly forcing the other team into a non optimal lineup ? For example start Cease, Dunning or Lopez then go to Rodon, Crochet and Bummer against a lineup stacked with LHs.

16 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Will the Sox dare to use Lopez in a 3rd game based on his most recent performances being better than Dunning or Cease ? Do they do a BP game starting Dunning or Cease with extremely short leashes ? Depending on the opponent do you start a RH or LH in game 3 then switch quickly forcing the other team into a non optimal lineup ? For example start Cease, Dunning or Lopez then go to Rodon, Crochet and Bummer against a lineup stacked with LHs.

I would like them to have tried letting Foster open a game to let him get a feel for it, but I doubt they would try that for the first time in the playoffs.

I just don't see how they can risk letting Cease start game 3 after that steaming pile Friday.

Long story why but I watched that Friday game on the Cub feed and I think they said coming into that game, the Cubs had hit 17 home runs in all of September.  And then Cease gave up how many long balls to them?

Won't matter until the Division Series. :headbang

Enough time to start Giolito and Keuchel again the following week. Still think Cease and Dunning, both on short leashes so likely bullpen games with Lopez on standby. Lopez looked the best in September, would consider depending on the matchup.

7 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Crochett for 2 to 3 innings to open game 3.

He has to be available to save the team in Games 1 and 2 just to get to Game 3.

Foster is the best choice if you're going to make a guy unavailable in 1 and 2 just to start in Game 3.  

There really aren't any great answers for Game 3.  But I am ready to close the book on Reynaldo's Sox career and leave him off the postseason roster entirely.  Dunning probably has to be the guy with (hopefully) Bummer ready to come in very early if he gets into big trouble early again.

• Like 1