Magic Number: Playoffs - 0; Division - 4

bmags

1 minute ago, YourWhatHurts said:

BTW we shouildnt celebrate until we win the division.  It's not really celebration material to be the 8th seed.  It looks like there will be at least 1 sub-.500 team in the NL, maybe 2, and maybe 1 in the AL also.

There's very little chance a team under .500 makes it in the AL. As of today, the 8th seed in the AL is 24-21 and it's the Yankees.

3 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

BTW we shouildnt celebrate until we win the division.  It's not really celebration material to be the 8th seed.  It looks like there will be at least 1 sub-.500 team in the NL, maybe 2, and maybe 1 in the AL also.

Why not? This team hasn’t seen postseason baseball in 12 years (same October I got married, feels like an eternity ago ha). It’s absolutely something to celebrate.

It’s 9 over the Orioles, but 8 if five of the eight are division games. Sox are playing the Tigers; Orioles are playing the Yankees. That’’s a potential of 4 the next couple days.

If the Sox sweep the Tigers and beat the Twins three of four, good chance they clinch the 8-seed before flying to Cincinnati. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, flavum said:

It’s 9 over the Orioles, but 8 if five of the eight are division games. Sox are playing the Tigers; Orioles are playing the Yankees. That’’s a potential of 4 the next couple days.

If the Sox sweep the Tigers and beat the Twins three of four, good chance they clinch the 8-seed before flying to Cincinnati. 

Good stuff here. You are now in charge of the math for this.

27 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Why not? This team hasn’t seen postseason baseball in 12 years (same October I got married, feels like an eternity ago ha). It’s absolutely something to celebrate.

Agreed. Any playoff spot should be celebrated. Heck, a winning season should be celebrated with the way the team has been.

33 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Stuff it. This franchise hasn't made the playoffs in 12 years and hasn't been close in 8. This team is loaded with guys who have never made a post-season. 

You celebrate.  You celebrate like this is the start of something big and enjoy every minute of it. If you win the division,  you celebrate again. 

These guys damned well should be living it up and proud of their accomplishments. Hell I know I will have a bottle of champagne ready to go.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

There's very little chance a team under .500 makes it in the AL. As of today, the 8th seed in the AL is 24-21 and it's the Yankees.

My version of the MLB standings has Houston as the 8th seed at 22-23.  You must have been looking at the schedule with the same set of eyes you've been using to judge the differences between James McCann and Yasmani Grandal.

Also over in the NL only 7 teams are over .500.  One is MIA at 21-20 who should be worse, another is SF at 23-22 which should be worse because they also suck, then STL is at 19-19.  The 6-7-8 all has a shot at dropping below .500.

I don't think the Sox are at a point where they should celebrate early.  They have a better goal in mind.  They should see the playoffs as a given at this point.  Celebrating now would be like going into the bathroom to jerk off just after she takes her bra off and lets you touch her boobs.

3 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

My version of the MLB standings has Houston as the 8th seed at 22-23.  You must have been looking at the schedule with the same set of eyes you've been using to judge the differences between James McCann and Yasmani Grandal.

If you want to be a smart ass, you might want to check your facts. 

The 8th seed in the AL this year has a record of 24-21. The 6 seed has a record of 22-23. Thanks for playing.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Also over in the NL only 7 teams are over .500.  One is MIA at 21-20 who should be worse, another is SF at 23-22 which should be worse because they also suck, then STL is at 19-19.  The 6-7-8 all has a shot at dropping below .500.

I don't think the Sox are at a point where they should celebrate early.  They have a better goal in mind.  They should see the playoffs as a given at this point.  Celebrating now would be like going into the bathroom to jerk off just after she takes her bra off and lets you touch her boobs.

What if I told you that you could celebrate AND have higher goals.

17 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If you want to be a smart ass, you might want to check your facts. 

The 8th seed in the AL this year has a record of 24-21. The 6 seed has a record of 22-23. Thanks for playing.

I meant last playoff team.  I didn't know about some weird and totally illogical arrangement created by the rules.  Still you said in your post that you don't think a sub-.500 team makes the playoffs, which is incorrect, because HOU is currently the last playoff team if the season ended today and they are below .500.  It is pretty likely for 1 in the AL and up to 3 in the NL.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

What if I told you that you could celebrate AND have higher goals.

Nope, sorry. This is why no team that has celebrated a division win has ever won a world series. That's just a fact. 

In fact, I don't think we should even celebrate a world series win this year. We've all talked about how, if everything goes right, we might have a shot at a dynasty. Why give up any chance of that by celebrating after just one ring? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, WilliamTell said:

In the words of Hawk with a 60 game special edition version. "For most teams you're going to win 22 games and you're going to lose 22 games. It's the other 16 games that make a difference."

Let's finish strong and win this division. 

Love it!  I hope Hawk is plenty involved somehow during these years.  That man has earned this too.  

Not sure how to do it but I bet there’s a cool way

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I meant last playoff team.  I didn't know about some weird and totally illogical arrangement created by the rules.  Still you said in your post that you don't think a sub-.500 team makes the playoffs, which is incorrect, because HOU is currently the last playoff team if the season ended today and they are below .500.  It is pretty likely for 1 in the AL and up to 3 in the NL.

Houston's not the last playoff team, they'd be the 6th seed and we'd end up playing them if the season ended today. Just admit you were wrong and move on man. No point in arguing semantics when you didn't understand the playoff rules to begin with.