Magic Number: Playoffs - 0; Division - 4

bmags

2 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I meant last playoff team.  I didn't know about some weird and totally illogical arrangement created by the rules.  Still you said in your post that you don't think a sub-.500 team makes the playoffs, which is incorrect, because HOU is currently the last playoff team if the season ended today and they are below .500.  It is pretty likely for 1 in the AL and up to 3 in the NL.

I'd be willing to wager the Astros finish above .500 but it's all a moot point.

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'd be willing to wager the Astros finish above .500 but it's all a moot point.

You guys are correct.  I forgot about the guaranteed playoff spot for the #2 in the division regardless of record part and had been thinking it was a division winner and the next 5 best records.

Now that I think about it, celebrate, who cares.  It looks like the playoffs will be in a bubble anyway.  Wherever the Yankees are, I would rather win or lose the divison, whatever it took, so that we played a different team in the first round.  We will be playing in Dodger Stadium or something anyway so home field doesn't matter at all.

14 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

These rules this year really suck.

They do. It’s a money grab for the postseason, and it is what it is (sorry to use that phrase). It would have been much more exciting to have the Central winner really care about winning the division, while the other two face each other to get in, but it’s only one year of this shit hopefully. 

1 hour ago, Dam8610 said:

The White Sox have the best record in the AL, why are we counting down an 8 seed clinch?

Just for you....all of the magic numbers to stay ahead of...

• KC- 1
  • LAA- 1
  • Det- 3
  • Bal -3
  • Sea- 4 (goes down by two with next Sox win vs Twins)
  • Hou- 6
  • NY- 9
  • Cle- 9 (8 if the Sox win 3 of 4 next week)
  • Tor- 10
  • Min- 11 (10 if the Sox beat them 2 of next 3)
  • Oak- 12
  • TB- 13