Magic Number: Playoffs - 0; Division - 4

bmags

8 hours ago, poppysox said:

Best of 3 is scary no matter who you play IMO.

I always have a difficult time thinking of fans in another city thinking "playing the Sox is scary" after I've convinced myself there is no way we can win. LOL 50 years of scar tissue from being a Sox fan. 

4 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I always have a difficult time thinking of fans in another city thinking "playing the Sox is scary" after I've convinced myself there is no way we can win. LOL 50 years of scar tissue from being a Sox fan. 

I often tune in the opponent's broadcast.  Frequently they are talking up our "young powerhouse".  Word is getting around.

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

I often tune in the opponent's broadcast.  Frequently they are talking up our "young powerhouse".  Word is getting around.

Oh I get it, but go read a couple game threads, we actually are a horrible team that can't beat anyone with a decent record, with the worst manager in baseball . . . We know exactly how we could lose to anyone. 

But, yes, this is an amazing group of young talent. Sitting on an acorn and waiting for it to grow. 

12 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Oh I get it, but go read a couple game threads, we actually are a horrible team that can't beat anyone with a decent record, with the worst manager in baseball . . . We know exactly how we could lose to anyone. 

But, yes, this is an amazing group of young talent. Sitting on an acorn and waiting for it to grow. 

We just beat the Twins 3 out of 4 and we beat the Cubs in the first series 2 out of 3 so how can you say that we can’t beat anyone with a decent record? Unless your going by our overall record versus teams above .500? Also, who knows what their record would’ve been against teams above .500 in a normal 162 game season. 

Edited by maloney.adam

7 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

We just beat the Twins 3 out of 4 and we beat the Cubs in the first series 2 out of 3 so how can you say that we can’t beat anyone with a decent record? Unless your going by our overall record versus teams above .500? Also, who knows what their  record would’ve been against teams above .500 in a normal 162 game season. 

He’s being sarcastic based on how Soxtalk game threads are historically pessimistic if the team is losing or loses.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

We just beat the Twins 3 out of 4 and we beat the Cubs this season 2 out of 3 so how can you say that we can’t beat anyone with a decent record? Unless your going by our overall record vs teams above .500? Also, who knows what there record would’ve been against teams above .500 in a normal 162 game season. 

Again, have you been in any game threads when the team is losing? Did you not read me saying this is an amazing group? 

What I'm trying to say as a 50 year Sox fan I've been conditioned to things not working out. Southsider said it better when FanGraphs had us at 97.5% to make the playoffs and all he saw was 2.5%. It's just a little joke about being a Sox fan. 

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

He’s being sarcastic based on how Soxtalk game threads are historically pessimistic if the team is losing or loses.

Open a few threads from September 2005. OMG we weren't even going to make the playoffs. LOL

• Like 1

Just now, maloney.adam said:

Ahh gotcha! 

You need to jump in a game thread. They are fun. But any pitching change, that any Sox manager, has or hasn't done, in the past 20 years is always predicted as wrong by at least five posters. And if it works out it will be judged as we just got lucky. Every Sox batter has a hole in his swing that you could drive a truck through and they are patient when they should be aggressive or too fucking aggressive when they need to see a couple pitches.  And if Greg775 is in the thread, Ozzie would have done it better. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

Again, have you been in any game threads when the team is losing? Did you not read me saying this is an amazing group? 

What I'm trying to say as a 50 year Sox fan I've been conditioned to things not working out. Southsider said it better when FanGraphs had us at 97.5% to make the playoffs and all he saw was 2.5%. It's just a little joke about being a Sox fan. 

Gotcha! Makes sense now. I thought you were really being serious about it so I misread your sarcasm. 

18 minutes ago, Texsox said:

You need to jump in a game thread. They are fun. But any pitching change, that any Sox manager, has or hasn't done, in the past 20 years is always predicted as wrong by at least five posters. And if it works out it will be judged as we just got lucky. Every Sox batter has a hole in his swing that you could drive a truck through and they are patient when they should be aggressive or too fucking aggressive when they need to see a couple pitches.  And if Greg775 is in the thread, Ozzie would have done it better. 

I try my best to jump in the game threads and have noticed that some of the posters are always on the ledge or the sky is falling so I do see what your saying. I feel that it’s because so many of the fans are so used to losing that they are trained to think that way like you said. Over time that should lessen if we keep winning hopefully or do you think it will never change?

Edited by maloney.adam

38 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I try my best to jump in the game threads and have noticed that some of the posters are always on the ledge or the sky is falling so I do see what your saying. I feel that it’s because so many of the fans are so used to losing that they are trained to think that way like you said. Over time that should lessen if we keep winning hopefully or do you think it will never change?

I've been here in some form or another since 2003. It will never change. Just make fun of them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Assume the Twins win tonight. I'll change it if the Cubs win. 

1. TB 35-19 (8)- 3 at NYM, off, 3 vs Phi
  2. Sox 34-19- 4 at Cle, 3 vs Cubs
  3. Oak 33-20 (7-) off, 3 at LA, 4 vs Sea
  4. Min 33-22 (4)- off, 2 vs Det, off, 3 vs Cin
  5. NY 31-22 (5)- 4 at Buf, 3 vs Mia
  6. Hou 27-26- 3 at Sea, 4 at Tex
  7. Cle 29-24 (3)- 4 vs Sox, 3 vs Pit
  8. Tor 27-26- 4 vs NY, 3 vs Bal

Tor at TB; NY at Min

Cle at Sox; Hou at Oak

1 hour ago, maloney.adam said:

Over time that should lessen if we keep winning hopefully or do you think it will never change?

Possibly. I've always said the key to being a fan of any team is to just enjoy the sport. When I was living in Chicago and went to a lot of games I had a routine. Where to park, where to eat, where to drink. We had season tickets so we knew the fans around us. 

Win or lose it was fun. Of course winning is better. But after this trip around the sun I'll be entering my sixth decade. I've seen us in one World Series and six post seasons. I always recognized even our worst teams were filled with players who were among the 500 best players on the planet at that time. Amazing to think about. 

• Like 1