Magic Number: Playoffs - 0; Division - 4

bmags

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Not quite, and all ages should support season integrity, especially those who buy tickets for one of the 81 exhibition games (or 30, when the owners want to avoid honoring signed contracts).

If they did I wouldnt be a baseball fan. Why would I care? If the Sox were in the east we never would have been close to 100 wins the Yankees and Red Sox were putting up year in and year out. If we were in the West then the same could be said for the Athletics consistently throwing up high 90 win teams. I wouldnt give a shit about the sport. 

2 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

If they did I wouldnt be a baseball fan. Why would I care? If the Sox were in the east we never would have been close to 100 wins the Yankees and Red Sox were putting up year in and year out. If we were in the West then the same could be said for the Athletics consistently throwing up high 90 win teams. I wouldnt give a shit about the sport. 

Why did you give a shit about the sport since 2008, assuming you are old enough?  You shouldn't confuse the mediocrity or worse of recent Sox teams with the inability of MLB teams willing to compete to actually compete.

Also, all five AL East teams have won the Division at least once since 2014 when Tampa clinches this week. Four of the five AL West teams did the same. Such a pity a seven year time frame cannot satisfy the instant gratification participation trophies provide your cursory and negligible "fan" interest. Carry on with your misinformed remarks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

I understand that angle too. I think a lot of Sox fans got wrapped up in the fact we were hot for a few weeks. I think we have to balance who that came against. It's a sign of a good team to beat up on the bad ones. But realistically this team is exactly what I still think it was going into the season .... young, inexperienced, etc. It was going to be up and down and i think if we played 162 this year finishing around the 85 win mark is probably what this team really is. 

The issues are what have hurt the Cubs/Twins in the past... aka, you can't just rely on home runs. even in today's game. you have to be able to be situational hitters, smarter AB's, and put the ball in play. HR teams can get hot and that can carry them for weeks on end, but when cold you turn into the Cubs of the past few years. I've said in the past, and continue to say even now, this isn't the year. Next year isn't the year either. This is the year to have nice stretches and bad stretches and to learn from them. Next year is a year where realistiically, in a perfect scenario we could win it all, but the following year is the real year. 

Things I wanted to see this year: Cease/Dunning/Rodon/Kopech learning, growing, figuring out how to pitch at the major league level sucessfully, and showing they can do it for a full season. I can't say that has happened much. Kopech didn't suit up. Rodon was hurt again all season. Cease has been Lopez of a few years back - he has the stuff, but not really putting it together. Dunning looks like a  guy who can be a mainstay as a 3/4 guy. one out of four pitchers taking that next step is really disappointing. I would have liked to see two of the guys solidify their role as pitchers who are mainstays. 

Giolito/Moncada - I wanted to see them repeat their success and take that next step into true studs. I think we can confirm that this year with gio. so take that as a positive. moncada? To me he's turning into Joe Crede. Which isn't necessarily a knock - it's just that he's not going to be Arenado/Machado or some stud 3B as we hoped. He can still be a decent piece on a Championship team. I just don't think he's going to be the reason we win. Nonetheless he should be able to hold down the corner spot fine enough in that 6/7 hole in the lineup IMO.

Robert/Madrigal - get a feel for what we have there. I think I'm confident in both guys that their play into the future well. Robert is what I thought - now it's his turn to readjust to pitching and pressure/weight of doing it consistently. I really wish he had a full year ... but confident next year or the following year you'll see him "figure it out" completely and take that step to being a top 20 bat in the league. Madrigal just is about as worry free as you can have, and i think thats important. 

RF - still a hole. Still a disaster. Engel though looks like he can be that nice 4OF on a championship team which to me is a huge step compared to coming itno the year. 

Eloy - The defense is disappointing, but i like his approach at the plate a bit better. Still cant say I'm not disappointed with his progress. 

Overall I give the Sox a B on the year, but in no way do i really think we'll be able to grind it through the playoffs and come out the other end. 

This is a great analysis. Yes, you cannot just rely on the home run. From 2001-04, the Sox hit a ton of home runs and won nothing. The long ball just isn't there sometimes and a team has to find another way to win. The back-to-back-to back homers against Cincy were exciting, but five home runs in a game, and they score five runs? Where was the rest of the offense?

I actually give the Sox an A for the season. You can see all the raw talent on the club. But now that talent has to be developed and additional pieces need to be picked up. The job still needs to be completed and much more needs to be done. The team will not go to the World Series this year. I never expected it, too. Now, how badly does the FO want to make this a truly elite major league franchise?

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

And then Darvish vs Cease on Friday and if it goes like it seems, Sox are in 3rd

It's why we really had to win yesterday. We're facing a lot of good pitching. I don't think we've seen pitching this good in a short time span all year.

Honestly after this series...I don't think the sox should want the Indians. Yankees is what it is...but Sox HAVE to win 2 more this season to keep home field against the yankees, which is crucial. the yankees are BAD on the road. Cole also has a HR problem the second half of the season...so it honestly isn't the worst scenario. 

3 minutes ago, flavum said:

Yankees lose. 11-18 on the road.

Any Yankees loss to the Marlins or Sox win this weekend makes the Sox the host if they play each other. 

Sox also were eliminated from 1-seed consideration tonight.

They probably racked up a lot of road losses to Rays, Orioles, and Braves early in the year when they got hurt and those teams were hot.  

1. TB 37-20
  2. Min 35-22 (4)
  3. Oak 34-22 (5) 
  4. Sox 34-23
  5. NY 32-25 (1)
  6. Hou 29-28
  7. Cle 33-24 (3)
  8. Tor 30-27

Tor at TB; NY at Sox

Cle at Min; Hou at Oak

A's hold tiebreaker over the Twins. If the A's and White Sox win divisions with the same record, A's are 2, Sox are 3.

Edited by flavum

11 hours ago, flavum said:

1. TB 37-20
  2. Min 35-22 (4)
  3. Oak 34-22 (5) 
  4. Sox 34-23
  5. NY 32-25 (1)
  6. Hou 29-28
  7. Cle 33-24 (3)
  8. Tor 30-27

Tor at TB; NY at Sox

Cle at Min; Hou at Oak

A's hold tiebreaker over the Twins. If the A's and White Sox win divisions with the same record, A's are 2, Sox are 3.

You know the seeding scenarios for the three central teams?

Three way tie would end up: Indians (2), Sox (3), Twins (7), I believe.  Indians hold tie breakers.

Sox hold tie breakers over Twins.

Perhaps most likely scenario: Sox win 2/3, Twins win 2/3, Indians sweep - I think that results in Sox with 7 seed.