Stiever to start Sunday

Heads22

1 minute ago, 2Deep said:

CN someone tell me about this kids pitch repertoire 

Jonathan Stiever, RHP – 6’2” 220 lb. right-handed starting pitcher, acquired from Indiana University in the fifth round #138 overall, of the 2018 MLB draft. MLB pipeline had him ranked #88 while Baseball America had him slotted #125. Stiever’s signing bonus was the full slot value of 386.8K. 

After finishing his draft year season in rookie ball Stiever was assigned to full season Low-A Kannapolis in 2019. He pitched in 14 starts putting up middling numbers mostly due to the uneven nature of his good versus bad outings. It was clearly a tale of two Stievers. In his ten good starts he posted a 2.33 ERA. In the other four which can best be described as drubbings his ERA was a whopping 13.50. Obviously the deceptive stat line didn’t dissuade the White Sox as Stiever was promoted to Hi-A Winston-Salem in June. After uniting with pitching guru Matt Zaleski, Stiever didn’t look back. He found his way into more consistency and his velocity spiked, sitting comfortably in the mid-nineties while frequently flashing 97-98 mph. Stiever features a potential for three plus pitches (fastball, curveball, slider), what separates him from the crowd is his uncanny ability to throw strikes. Last season he threw 69% strikes while walking 1.7 hitters per nine innings. To put that number in perspective, Justin Verlander led all major league starting pitchers with a 69.3% strike rate in 2019. 

What’s next: Stiever who was likely slated to pitch for AA Birmingham before the pandemic, is currently assigned to the White Sox major league taxi squad. I was fortunate enough to take deep dive on Stiever following his 2019 season. Please visit Southside Hitpen for my profile on the up and coming hurler Jonathan Stiever.

https://www.prospects1500.com/al-central/white-sox/10-names-you-need-to-know-chicago-white-sox/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

Nice, Monday is the deadline for postseason eligibility., nice to see the call-up to help the rotation, provide insurance for Dallas or any other starter through season end, and give Ricky another option with 15 straight games to go.

Perhaps Parrot can be placed on the DL with the hiccups and we can see Vaughn up for the Twins series. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Soxnfins said:

Love it. Honestly do have to wonder if they are showcasing him for the offseason... it’s in the back of my head

100% they are. If you can sell high on an already good trade chip like him, you most definitely do it. Acquire a starting pitcher or outfielder with him, then fill the other hole in FA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

100% they are. If you can sell high on an already good trade chip like him, you most definitely do it. Acquire a starting pitcher or outfielder with him, then fill the other hole in FA.

I highly doubt, bordering on guarantee,  that they will not acquire a starting pitcher for next year. They have 5 cost controlled starters already. Barring an injury of course.

4 hours ago, ptatc said:

I highly doubt, bordering on guarantee,  that they will not acquire a starting pitcher for next year. They have 5 cost controlled starters already. Barring an injury of course.

Say what? They've had to use like 12 starters this year. This would also mean they're done spending money at all anywhwre but the bullpen because they have every position locked up cost controlled. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ptatc said:

But why would we plan on no injuries?  And why are we ignoring the fact Kopech hasn’t pitched in 2+ years and is only a two months minor league stint away from securing an extra year of team control?  I still think us adding a TOR starter this offseason is likely, although calling up Stiever and locking up another 40 man roster spot makes me a little less confident of that.  If he’s looked that good in Schaumburg to warrant a call-up, perhaps they think he can factor into the rotation mix as soon as next year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But why would we plan on no injuries?  And why are we ignoring the fact Kopech hasn’t pitched in 2+ years and is only a two months minor league stint away from securing an extra year of team control?  I still think us adding a TOR starter this offseason is likely, although calling up Stiever and locking up another 40 man roster spot makes me a little less confident of that.  If he’s looked that good in Schaumburg to warrant a call-up, perhaps they think he can factor into the rotation mix as soon as next year.

Agreed and it's why Bauer makes so much sense. Going year by year with him would be incredible, economical and allows Kopech, Stiever and eventually Crochet to prove they deserve to take away a spot from either Cease or Dunning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Say what? They've had to use like 12 starters this year. This would also mean they're done spending money at all anywhwre but the bullpen because they have every position locked up cost controlled. 

Yeah, it would seem pretty ridiculous if they just said “hey we got everything covered, no need for improvements” despite sitting on serious payroll flexibility and an insane young core that’s only a few pieces away from being in the argument for best team in baseball.  That being said, it’s not entirely inconceivable that they’re planning a big pursuit of your boy Springer and try to go cheap with the rotation.  That doesn’t seem likely to me given our pitching needs and the high probability we sign Cespedes or Colas (limiting the need to add a long-term RF), but you never know given Reinsdorf‘a general reluctance to long-term deals with pitchers.

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Next year the will have the addition of kopech. If stiever looks good enough to be a valuable trade piece, they will have Giolito,  keuchal, cease, dunning, kopech and stiever all on cost controlled contracts.

Edited by ptatc

4 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Agreed and it's why Bauer makes so much sense. Going year by year with him would be incredible, economical and allows Kopech, Stiever and eventually Crochet to prove they deserve to take away a spot from either Cease or Dunning.

100% agree, Bauer is the perfect fit because he buys you time for Kopech, Cease, Dunning, Stiever, & Crotchet to develop in the minors or back of the rotation spots but doesn’t automatically block them long-term.

• Like 1