Stiever to start Sunday

Heads22

It will be Rodon. He will probably go on the ir to make room on the 40. His time with the sox might be done. 

As far as Stiever goes, sure they might be showcasing him. But I got think the Sox are curious themselves on how he responds to this. They know he can throw strikes. Doesn't walk anyone. Under normal circumstances he would be at AA now. And depending on the season there might be called up in September to see what he can do. Thats kinda what They're doing. 

I too think they will acquire another starting arm for next year. Hopefully through free agency. Hopefully Bauer.  But if not the trade deadline was just a precursor of what we will see or hear.

Edited by smellysox

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

100% agree, Bauer is the perfect fit because he buys you time for Kopech, Cease, Dunning, Stiever, & Crotchet to develop in the minors or back of the rotation spots but doesn’t automatically block them long-term.

Bauer would be the only one that makes sense if it is a one year deal. Other than that it would be a middle tier pitcher who would accept a one year deal.

• Like 1

Anyone else think this could mean the end of Steve Cishek by the end of the month?  That’s assuming Bummer & Rodon both come back, but there isn’t much fat to trim off the 40 man roster after Alex McRae.  IMO, the other most likely options to go would be Ruiz, Hamilton, or Zavala and they all have a degree of long-term value.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Anyone else think this could mean the end of Steve Cishek by the end of the month?  That’s assuming Bummer & Rodon both come back, but there isn’t much fat to trim off the 40 man roster after Alex McRae.  IMO, the other most likely options to go would be Ruiz, Hamilton, or Zavala and they all have a degree of long-term value.

That's interesting.  The Sox definitely like the veterans in the pen. They lean on Cordero and Marshall pretty heavily. I'm not sure if they would add another rookie for the playoffs but I guess it depends on how he looks.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You CAN’T give the ball to Cishek in the playoffs, can you?

10 hours ago, BamaDoc said:

Not a lot of options. Honestly not crazy about starting his clock. We just need innings. Kinda thought Gio González could go three then Flores a couple but it sure will be exciting!  Even if much of the board had no problem trading him at deadline. And I am poking fun. We all know, if he does well we should get Cooperstown ready and if he performs poorly we should have traded the stiff!

By this time I think the Sox are trying to keep the pen fresh and setting up the rotation down the stretch and into the playoffs. Since Rodon can't give you anything Stiever becomes the sacrificial lamb.

However, if he pitches well in this start don't be surprised if he stays up over Flores, McRae or even Cishek. to see if there's a way to use him in the pen from here forward.

This is the Sox way of going for it. No trades, just complete reliance, or if you will, over reliance on the kids. But you never know if it's another one of those lucky years like 2005 where the stars align in our favor.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Looks like you might've missed the earlier post that Rodon is likely moved to the 45 day IL thereby ending his season.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m saying once Rodon & Bummer come back we’ll need to clear two 40 man spots and that Cishek might get the axe at that time.

I'm missing something here. We are just talking this year or next year too? Rodon isnt coming back this year. Bummer can still come back this year.  In that case if they plan to non tender Rodon they could just give him his unconditional release right now. Cishek could go that route also but he is still apparently healthy and an arm to be used in various situations to see if they can get anything from him. But yes CIshek could be released as could Rodon but if you are on the 45 day DL you're not taking up 40 space right ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm missing something here. We are just talking this year or next year too? Rodon isnt coming back this year. Bummer can still come back this year.  In that case if they plan to non tender Rodon they could just give him his unconditional release right now. Cishek could go that route also but he is still apparently healthy and an arm to be used in various situations to see if they can get anything from him. But yes CIshek could be released as could Rodon but if you are on the 45 day DL you're not taking up 40 space right ?

Why can’t Rodon come back this year?

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why can’t Rodon come back this year?

He theoretically could on the 20th according to what South Wallace just posted since that 45 day DL trip is retroactive to an earlier date. The 20th is just a week from now. Do you think he'll be ready then ? Is the 20th accurate ? Is he any more likely to give quality innings than Cishek , Lopez , Flores or McRae from the pen ?  I suppose we will find out.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

14 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He theoretically could on the 20th according to what South Wallace just posted since that 45 day DL trip is retroactive to an earlier date. The 20th is just a week from now. Do you think he'll be ready then ? Is the 20th accurate ? Is he any more likely to give quality innings than Cishek , Lopez , Flores or McRae from the pen ?  I suppose we will find out.

If he’s healthy, I’d certainly roll the dice on Carlos than Cishek, Flores, & McRae.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If he’s healthy, I’d certainly roll the dice on Carlos than Cishek, Flores, & McRae.

Big IF but yes it was my mistake thinking he was done for the season after being placed on the 45 day IL. I thought it was a new 45 days instead of being retroactive.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Big IF but yes it was my mistake thinking he was done for the season after being placed on the 45 day IL. I thought it was a new 45 days instead of being retroactive.

Gotcha.  And look, I’m not convinced he’s coming back this year, but by adding Stiever to the 40 man roster we could theoretically have to cut someone beyond just McRae.  And as we saw with Herrera, the willingness to cut bait on guys in their final year of their deal is there.  I’d say that Cishek’s tenure with the team is on very thin ice at the moment.