Sox vs Tigers. 9/13 - 1:10

Bad Hombre

• bmags pinned this topic

For those who didn't read the 670 interview with Rick Hahn,I would encourage you to do so. Apparently Ricky is here to stay, and Hahn and JR had a discussion about what our offense could do against the Indians, whose pitchers have our number. They discussed how the offense can get better. This is why I think Jerry will spend more money this offseason to fill any gaps. He is highly motivated to win a few ships before it's to late. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dallas Kong said:

Watching Mendick and Dyson bat probably won’t be fun, but the “Sunday lineup” for this team is still eons beyond previous years. I think we’ll be OK.

??? What's wrong with Danny Mendick?

For a rookie getting only a small amount of playing time, he's doing very well.

IMO he's already better than Gordon Beckham was and he's the best hitting Sox bench player to come up in a long time.  I can't even think of the last time the Sox brought up a bench player who actually could hit.  Even the ones they traded for like Wilson Betemit and Rob Mackowiack etc. who were supposedly better still pretty much sucked.  Mendick is a real find for this team.

Seriously, when is the last time we brought up a better all-around bench player than Danny Mendick?  It's been so long I can't even think of anyone.  

Moreover, I think in the right circumstance (on another team and probably a rebuilding one) he has a chance to catch some playing time and play his way into a starting role.  I don't know how anyone would be upset about what we have in Danny.  He, Stiever, Foster, and Heuer are the best scouting stories we have going right now IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

For those who didn't read the 670 interview with Rick Hahn,I would encourage you to do so. Apparently Ricky is here to stay, and Hahn and JR had a discussion about what our offense could do against the Indians, whose pitchers have our number. They discussed how the offense can get better. This is why I think Jerry will spend more money this offseason to fill any gaps. He is highly motivated to win a few ships before it's to late. 

Where can i read that interview?

19 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

??? What's wrong with Danny Mendick?

For a rookie getting only a small amount of playing time, he's doing very well.

IMO he's already better than Gordon Beckham was and he's the best hitting Sox bench player to come up in a long time.  I can't even think of the last time the Sox brought up a bench player who actually could hit.  Even the ones they traded for like Wilson Betemit and Rob Mackowiack etc. who were supposedly better still pretty much sucked.  Mendick is a real find for this team.

Seriously, when is the last time we brought up a better all-around bench player than Danny Mendick?  It's been so long I can't even think of anyone.  

Moreover, I think in the right circumstance (on another team and probably a rebuilding one) he has a chance to catch some playing time and play his way into a starting role.  I don't know how anyone would be upset about what we have in Danny.  He, Stiever, Foster, and Heuer are the best scouting stories we have going right now IMO.

Sure. Like every part of this team, he in his current role is an improvement over previous years. I'm not gonna cry at the thought of him getting ABs during an occasional Madrigal rest day like I would during the days of Alen Hanson or JB Shuck. But that doesn't mean I'm positively giddy for it.

1 minute ago, Dallas Kong said:

Sure. Like every part of this team, he in his current role is an improvement over previous years. I'm not gonna cry at the thought of him getting ABs during an occasional Madrigal rest day like I would during the days of Alen Hanson or JB Shuck. But that doesn't mean I'm positively giddy for it.

Lol ugh. Or Olt.

Dyson seems like a wasted roster spot as his purpose 99% of games is to be a pinch runner. We have plenty of guys who can do that even if they are not quite as fast as him. I would rather have another player up like Yermin which would allow both Grandal and McCann to play in the same games more.

Just now, bmags said:

Lol ugh. Or Olt.

For real. I had to peruse Baseball Reference to bring some of those names back to my memory. Remember Cody Asche? I had legitimately forgotten his tenure with us. Woof.

On another note, what the heck ever happened to Brett Lawrie? Wikipedia doesn't even say. He wasn't great, but he also wasn't the sort of guy I'd expect to leave mid-game at age 26 and never play again.

1 minute ago, Dallas Kong said:

For real. I had to peruse Baseball Reference to bring some of those names back to my memory. Remember Cody Asche? I had legitimately forgotten his tenure with us. Woof.

On another note, what the heck ever happened to Brett Lawrie? Wikipedia doesn't even say. He wasn't great, but he also wasn't the sort of guy I'd expect to leave mid-game at age 26 and never play again.

We’ve had a few board threads trying to track Lawrie. There was a pretty sad article in a Toronto paper on him, sounded like he was struggling with mental health. He was trying a comeback a few years ago.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

We’ve had a few board threads trying to track Lawrie. There was a pretty sad article in a Toronto paper on him, sounded like he was struggling with mental health. He was trying a comeback a few years ago.

Thanks. That's awful. Hope he gets it under control and finds some joy in life.

• Kyyle23 locked and unpinned this topic