Don’t Fire Frank Menechino Thread

bmags

6 minutes ago, smellysox said:

Yeah they were interviewing him a day or 2 ago asking him about Mazara. He was explaining how he's in between mechanics on his swing. In a nice way trying to explain the lack of homeruns with him. I kinda think he wanted to say Mazara's not good. Lol

The “can’t apply the approach he practices in game’s” has been Mazara’a issue his whole career

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tony said:

I brought him up last week, glad he is getting more attention. We don’t know how much of an impact he has, but given how much we discussed Greg Walker, Stevenson, etc, we should be talking about how good this offense has been under FM. 

Bingo. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

The “can’t apply the approach he practices in game’s” has been Mazara’a issue his whole career

Mazara has been disappointing compared to his prospect hype but obviously he isn't the hitter he is this year.

Mazara has been a consistent 20 HR guy and an above average hitter against righties and for some reason he can't do that this year.

Still you are right that you expect more out of a top10 overall prospect than a solid platoon hitter but still this year is clearly an anomaly for him.

I was gonna start a thread on RR now staying forever but I'll put it in here.

Yes, all hail our hitting coach. Whether he's the cause for this or not ... he will benefit from this and be a hero in Chicago and get credit for this best hitting team in Sox history. Deservedly so. Sox are better than anybody in this all or nothing HR or K era. Hitting coach deserves credit.

As far as RR, if we finish out September this good, he's probably going to get a well deserved extension. His ability to relate to the players is really all that matters. He speaks the primary language of many of them. Sure we can nitpick a pitching decision here and there, but RR has the right buttons pushed. Players love him apparently and he obviously lets Cooper and the hitting coach run their groups. Just when I think Jose needs a "rest," he gets 4 hits and knocks in 7. RR knows what he's doing. Folks, if we finish this baby with the first or second best record, RR is here for as long as he wants. He's stopped the insane bunting and players love him! (I guess if he somehow plays small ball in the playoffs and returns to the bunt or does something crazy he still could get fired someday, but I don't think he does that; the bunting is over).

Go Sox and let's keep winning!

Edited by greg775

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

all hail our hitting coach. Whether he's the cause for this or not

That doesn't seem to be the same standard applied to  Rick Renteria, or Kenny Williams or Jerry Reinsdorf.

But anyway,  OK. Proceed.

Edited by tray

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

I was gonna start a thread on RR now staying forever but I'll put it in here.

Yes, all hail our hitting coach. Whether he's the cause for this or not ... he will benefit from this and be a hero in Chicago and get credit for this best hitting team in Sox history. Deservedly so. Sox are better than anybody in this all or nothing HR or K era. Hitting coach deserves credit.

As far as RR, if we finish out September this good, he's probably going to get a well deserved extension. His ability to relate to the players is really all that matters. He speaks the primary language of many of them. Sure we can nitpick a pitching decision here and there, but RR has the right buttons pushed. Players love him apparently and he obviously lets Cooper and the hitting coach run their groups. Just when I think Jose needs a "rest," he gets 4 hits and knocks in 7. RR knows what he's doing. Folks, if we finish this baby with the first or second best record, RR is here for as long as he wants. He's stopped the insane bunting and players love him! (I guess if he somehow plays small ball in the playoffs and returns to the bunt or does something crazy he still could get fired someday, but I don't think he does that; the bunting is over).

Go Sox and let's keep winning!

Rick Renteria was extended in November 2018 beyond the 2019 term. It's likely at least for two seasons (2021), since a one year extension is rare.

Whether Hahn extends him for a second time this off-season remains to be seen. I'm not as critical as most of the board seems to be of Renteria.

To me, a new GM needs to select a new Manager, in the event the White Sox do not capitalize over the next few years.

13 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Rick Renteria was extended in November 2018 beyond the 2019 term. It's likely at least for two seasons (2021), since a one year extension is rare.

Whether Hahn extends him for a second time this off-season remains to be seen. I'm not as critical as most of the board seems to be of Renteria.

To me, a new GM needs to select a new Manager, in the event the White Sox do not capitalize over the next few years.

If Rick Hahn didn't get fired after 2016, it's hard to imagine the failure that would get him fired. He could sabotage the american response to a pandemic, kill hundreds of thousands, and in the process cost his employer tens of millions of dollars and that'd still be less of a reason to fire him than he already gave this org. Rick Hahn will not be fired because his teams didn't go far enough in the playoffs, and if his teams make a world series at some point, his mind will be implanted into an android and used as the GM before he's fired.

39 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If Rick Hahn didn't get fired after 2016, it's hard to imagine the failure that would get him fired. He could sabotage the american response to a pandemic, kill hundreds of thousands, and in the process cost his employer tens of millions of dollars and that'd still be less of a reason to fire him than he already gave this org. Rick Hahn will not be fired because his teams didn't go far enough in the playoffs, and if his teams make a world series at some point, his mind will be implanted into an android and used as the GM before he's fired.

I agree. Konerko gave Reinsdorf his ball, and he proclaimed gratitude. For the chosen few that gave Reinsdorf both of their balls (Williams 1986, Cooper 1988, Hahn 2002(, they become are a friend and employee for life. That said, he will turn 90 in 2026, and will likely no longer serve as managing partner by then, either stepping down or passing. It's likely an outside partner purchases controlling interest when this occurs. since he owns the highest share total and the family has stated they have no interest in retaining their baseball shares.

New owners may keep White Sox Gar Pax around for a year or two until they are ready to hire in their own people, but they will not have the same lifelong employment deal they currently enjoy.

Many of our young players have grown with this staff. These coaches get at least next year to see where it goes. Barring a terrible year, likely more years. At that point, re Menechino, I want to see our young guys mature in regards to a two strike approach. I realize Robert is aggressive but the other game he saw four total pitches in four at bats. Overall, I am thrilled with this year. We are basically arriving a year early and reinforcements are still coming/arriving. 

• Like 1