Cease feature on FG

southsider2k5

24 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Eh, it's more than just confidence.  He needs to completely revamp his mechanics this offseason.  Whatever is causing him to yank his fastball two feet off the plate and spike his curveball every other pitch has to be figured out.  The pitching from the stretch thing I just don't know about.  Yes there are many deliveries with unnecessary motion that puts additional stress on a pitcher -- but if he needs a little unnecessary motion to get his release point and command then it's a fair trade off, more than fair.

Totally revamping mechanics is really hard to do and usually not worth it unless the stuff actually changes. Giolito changed his because he was throwing 93 with no results. People read about what he did and think everyone can do it. It's really hard to do. He was a rare one. Cease just needs to refine it a bit and most likely dump the curveball for something that doesn't have the crazy break that he can't control. In today's game it hard to get the umps to call that big breaking ball for a strike as well. They can't call the fastball for a correct strike, it seems.

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Totally revamping mechanics is really hard to do and usually not worth it unless the stuff actually changes. Giolito changed his because he was throwing 93 with no results. People read about what he did and think everyone can do it. It's really hard to do. He was a rare one. Cease just needs to refine it a bit and most likely dump the curveball for something that doesn't have the crazy break that he can't control. In today's game it hard to get the umps to call that big breaking ball for a strike as well. They can't call the fastball for a correct strike, it seems.

At this rate Cease is going to finish with worse DIPS than Gio did when he was literally the worst qualified starter in MLB.  I agree it's not going to be easy and not something that should be undertaken unless necessary but given his issues with generating wiffs and any sort of command (forget control, which I usually define as walk rate: Cease couldn't hit water from a Lake Michigan Beach) it might be something he has to do.

I'd love to see him spend the entire offseason in a pitching lab somewhere and work on maybe a 2 seamer and a slider with more tilt and yea only use that 12-6 when it's 0-2.

Does he throw a 2 seamer at all?  I don't think so, it could be something he can use to help him be effectively wild if he can get good run on it to righties.

This won't be a great undertaking like it was for Giolito because he changed his arm swing.  Cease's arm swing is fine so there's no reason to make a radical adjustment.  It's his delivery that's messed up.  All he has to do is change his tempo to add some rhythm and timing to his delivery and he'll be fine. Cease is certainly athletic enough to make it an easy adjustment.   

22 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

At this rate Cease is going to finish with worse DIPS than Gio did when he was literally the worst qualified starter in MLB.  I agree it's not going to be easy and not something that should be undertaken unless necessary but given his issues with generating wiffs and any sort of command (forget control, which I usually define as walk rate: Cease couldn't hit water from a Lake Michigan Beach) it might be something he has to do.

I'd love to see him spend the entire offseason in a pitching lab somewhere and work on maybe a 2 seamer and a slider with more tilt and yea only use that 12-6 when it's 0-2.

Does he throw a 2 seamer at all?  I don't think so, it could be something he can use to help him be effectively wild if he can get good run on it to righties.

Most dont throw it anymore. They work on the spin rate which is more effective with the 4 seamers. It could help him. He needs to find something that he can control a little more.

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

This won't be a great undertaking like it was for Giolito because he changed his arm swing.  Cease's arm swing is fine so there's no reason to make a radical adjustment.  It's his delivery that's messed up.  All he has to do is change his tempo to add some rhythm and timing to his delivery and he'll be fine. Cease is certainly athletic enough to make it an easy adjustment.   

Agreed. he need some tweaks not a revamping. My choice would be to stop the Mike  Marshall spin and finish straight toward the plate. However, that would decrease the velocity so they won't do that.

5 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Would like the Sox to make a major play for Ethan Katz this offseason, especially if McCann isn’t returning. There are many pitchers who could benefit.