Stone's Throwing of Shade at Ricky

ron883

10 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Back to Stone, which is it, Mouthpiece for Ownership, or Criticize Too Much and He'll Get Fired Like He Did With The Cubs?  It can't be both.

Actually he does both from time to time. 

40 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Back to Stone, which is it, Mouthpiece for Ownership, or Criticize Too Much and He'll Get Fired Like He Did With The Cubs?  It can't be both.

I think he is more out on his own island than mouthpiece for ownership.  The team usually doesn't talk bad about players if they can help it, and if they do, they wait until they have left town.

Baseball leads to fan strategic mind play. Many fans think they can manage better than the manager, regardless of the fact they are at times going off of limited information (player injuries, GM pressure). The anti-Rick Renteria bias is very strong here. I recall when many b****ed about Ozzie in 2005, though not to this level. 

Renteria's primary strength is building confidence and cohesion among his players and remaining patient (at times a strength, other times perhaps a weakness). Ozzie's strengths were kicking the team in the ass when it was helpful, and sticking with his veteran starters longer than many preferred, to build up stamina and confidence during the season which paid off on the playoffs.

This year is an anomaly, between the aborted spring training and schedule, and the fact the Sox have key pitchers coming off of injuries and or rookies with limited prior workloads. A few won't be able to pitch a full season next year (180-200 +) due to the fact their previous professional max was 120-140, which they will not broach again this year. Thinking Dunning, Stiever, Rodon and Kopech. Thankfully they have enough depth to get through 2021, build up the IP count further, and have them ready for full seasons in 2022.

14 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Rickey hasn't choked and called for bunting (in contrast to Ventura in his playoff chase); and he's handled the pitching well.
No complaints.

7 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

That's because it would be a waste for 80% of that lineup. 

You mean that the bunting decision should depend on who's at bat and who's up next?  Revolutionary! 😎

Edited by South Side Hit Men

32 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

This past offseason is really looking like a complete failure minus dallas

Because Hahn sucks when it comes to free agents.  These one year deals given out to vets are dragging us down.  Look at all the shit he signed the last two off seasons for one or two year deals.  That is of course after he said they would not be signing stop gap type veterans.  It is what it is.  The young talent is there and playing well despite shitty veteran additions and Ricky's terrible lineups and bullpen use.

I think EE and grandal is more on hahn than on ricky. EE has been sitting some games but you can't really sit him more than like 2 times a week or he would just block a roster spot, you are not carrying a part time DH on the roster, I.e. if you don't want him to play you need to release him or fake a DL stint. By keeping him on the roster hahn basically has decided EE plays at least 4-5 times a week.

Grandal also is the most expensive FA in sox history of course Hahn wants him to play.

The only decision that is really more on ricky is playing mazara over engel most of the time. Now engel's stats definitely benefit from being protected but he still could be better than mazara at this point albeit steamer and zips don't really agree and project engel about for a 75 wRC+ the rest of the way.

Edited by Dominikk85

5 hours ago, soulfly said:

Because Hahn sucks when it comes to free agents.  These one year deals given out to vets are dragging us down.  Look at all the shit he signed the last two off seasons for one or two year deals.  That is of course after he said they would not be signing stop gap type veterans.  It is what it is.  The young talent is there and playing well despite shitty veteran additions and Ricky's terrible lineups and bullpen use.

Grandal is a shitty veteran addition?

6 hours ago, soulfly said:

Because Hahn sucks when it comes to free agents.

6 hours ago, harkness99 said:

hahn has pretty consistently whiffed on mlb free agents

5 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

I think EE and grandal is more on hahn than on ricky.

I'm not sure how FAs coming to the Sox and sucking is Hahn's fault though. I mean, it's not like he took a wild flyer on some guys from the scrap heap hoping that they might turn into something. He gave contracts to talented, established, veteran players, and those players have underperformed. That speaks more to a coaching and player development issue than a GM issue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oneofthemikes said:

I'm not sure how FAs coming to the Sox and sucking is Hahn's fault though. I mean, it's not like he took a wild flyer on some guys from the scrap heap hoping that they might turn into something. He gave contracts to talented, established, veteran players, and those players have underperformed. That speaks more to a coaching and player development issue than a GM issue. 

you hit on some and miss on some.. but when you miss on all of them?

That gets you fired in most places.