Stone's Throwing of Shade at Ricky

ron883

5 hours ago, tray said:

Move  Robert to RF to fill that hole and put Engel in CF.  Engel looks like he should be a full time player and CF is his best position. He  really knows how to time his leap and make some great leaping catches at the wall.

Nah, you're not going to mess with Robert for Adam Engel.  Despite the fact that Robert can't time a jump he's still a very good defensive centerfielder and no need to mess with him, especially when his head is wrapped up in hitting woes right now.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

Nah, you're not going to mess with Robert for Adam Engel.  Despite the fact that Robert can't time a jump he's still a very good defensive centerfielder and no need to mess with him, especially when his head is wrapped up in hitting woes right now.

I like trying to think outside the box. Engel, IMO, is a Center fielder like ironically Aaron Rowand. Very similar player.  Robert looks like he could box out physically in the coming years and become a corner outfielder.  If he looks good  in RF then the Sox don't have to fill that position in the off season. It also removes Mazara from the line-up until he gets non-tendered.

No worries about impacting Robert's offense  the last few games this season. He can't do much worse than he has been doing.

Edited by tray

1 hour ago, tray said:

I like trying to think outside the box. Engel, IMO, is a Center fielder like ironically Aaron Rowand. Very similar player.  Robert looks like he could box out physically in the coming years and become a corner outfielder.  If he looks good  in RF then the Sox don't have to fill that position in the off season. It also removes Mazara from the line-up until he gets non-tendered.

No worries about impacting Robert's offense  the last few games this season. He can't do much worse than he has been doing.

Aaron Rowand wishes he could play center like Engel

• Like 1

I’m telling you guys Ricky planned this all. It’s all a part of a master chess game he’s devised that completely takes the pressure to preform off the plays and puts all of the negative attention into himself.

Instead of being the best team, the team to beat, the hottest team in the league... we’re now the walking dead hoping for just one win.

After that one win, the team will magically erupt and storm through the playoffs.

He will then reveal that this was all planned and he will immediately be inducted to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

This text is an ugly brown poop color.

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I’m telling you guys Ricky planned this all. It’s all a part of a master chess game he’s devised that completely takes the pressure to preform off the plays and puts all of the negative attention into himself.

Instead of being the best team, the team to beat, the hottest team in the league... we’re now the walking dead hoping for just one win.

After that one win, the team will magically erupt and storm through the playoffs.

He will then reveal that this was all planned and he will immediately be inducted to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

This text is an ugly brown poop color.

Back in the day, a lot of people bought Ozzie was doing virtually the same thing, until they realized attention was something he needed immensely. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Back in the day, a lot of people bought Ozzie was doing virtually the same thing, until they realized attention was something he needed immensely. 

Yup.

Makes me remember talking with him I. Spring training of 2005. I asked,

”Ozzie, are these guys going to win this year?”

In typical Ozzie fashion he yelled at me, “I don fucking know if dey fucking plays if good boseball or fucking like dis shit! Dey win, not me. Ask dem!”

Pablo Ozuna was right there as well so I said, “well, Whatda you think Pablo?”

He just gave me a thumbs up and we all laughed.

Edited by hi8is
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, tray said:

Engel has looked good this year but it is a huge leap of faith to pencil him in as a starter for future seasons. Playing a full season we would likely see him regress back to his former self with the bat.

Edited by JuliusO1274
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Engel has looked good this year but is a huge leap of faith to pencil him in as a starter for future seasons. Playing a full season we would likely seem him regress back to his former self with the bat.

Engel's role this year is what we learned McCaan is capable of moving forward.  Neither are starters but both have great value.   

Engel should have really been given a decent look this year.  I don’t have huge confidence in the guy but you find out between the lines what he is.  Before this year I always thought the guy was nothing, just defense and not worth anything but being a defensive replacement.  But he’s surprised me with how he looks this year.  

is he the starting right field next year?  He can’t be because he’s still an unknown because Ricky didn’t play him more.  

1 minute ago, jamesdiego said:

Engel should have really been given a decent look this year.  I don’t have huge confidence in the guy but you find out between the lines what he is.  Before this year I always thought the guy was nothing, just defense and not worth anything but being a defensive replacement.  But he’s surprised me with how he looks this year.  

is he the starting right field next year?  He can’t be because he’s still an unknown because Ricky didn’t play him more.  

IMO, Engel is a good 4th OF and there really isn’t a reason to see if he can be more that.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mqr said:

Aaron Rowand wishes he could play center like Engel

Rowand was an excellent CF his entire career, and did so without the physical gifts Engel has. One of the rare “gritty” players whose defense was not overrated. 

As far as Ricky goes, I find it easier to lose games because guys are slumping. In those situations I feel bad for the players. I hate losing games because of stupidity and that’s my beef with Ricky. 

I think he kind of exposed himself last night with his comments about wanting to see how Rodon would perform in that spot. He’s always been all about player growth, which has been fine given the teams he’s managed. But he either has been incapable of switching mindsets to winning as priority number one, or simply isn’t capable of basic bullpen management. 

I still think he can be a valuable part of a coaching staff, but manager of a contender might be a role he isn’t suited for. 

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He should have been played more this year because the 3rd OF has been so bad. 

Agree there, but I wouldn’t have overreacted to a small sample and gone with him as our starter in RF in 2021 even if was good.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

IMO, Engel is a good 4th OF and there really isn’t a reason to see if he can be more that.

Sure, I also think he’s very likely a career 4 OF.  But with how Mazara looked this year and how Engel looked, Adam deserved a shot to see just how improved he is.  More than likely he’d come back to earth.  But he’s never really looked this good for this long, it’s always been a mirage in consecutive spring trainings.  

He’s not my right fielder next year or anything.  He was my right fielder this year though.  But Ricky’s big brain got in the way.  

12 minutes ago, jamesdiego said:

Sure, I also think he’s very likely a career 4 OF.  But with how Mazara looked this year and how Engel looked, Adam deserved a shot to see just how improved he is.  More than likely he’d come back to earth.  But he’s never really looked this good for this long, it’s always been a mirage in consecutive spring trainings.  

He’s not my right fielder next year or anything.  He was my right fielder this year though.  But Ricky’s big brain got in the way.  

Oh I definitely would have given him more playing time down the stretch in RF.

5 hours ago, jamesdiego said:

Hahn’s three hitting acquisitions are performing worse than the existing players on the roster.

Do you really think Hahn is going to allow Renteria to bench the 25%+ of 2020 payroll Hahn committed to fWAR,   Parrot and Strep throat?

Crap, Hahn was trying to salvage yet another first round draft bust yesterday, it blew up in his face two hours later.

Robert has the best arm out of our current OFers and would be a great RFer..    I would start Engel in CF because he catches almost everything and makes highlight reels catches on balls hit near or over the wall. If he under performs offensively, then maybe you look for a guy with Buxton's skill set for CF instead of looking for a LH hulk bomber who sucks on defense for RF. That was the thinking behind acquiring Mazara.  Maybe you get off that  strategy , put Robert in RF, and look for a CFer with some power but also speed and defensive prowess.

Edited by tray

8 minutes ago, tray said:

Robert has the best arm out of our current OFers and would be a great RFer..    I would start Engel in CF because he catches almost everything and makes highlight reels catches on balls hit near or over the wall. If he under performs offensively, then maybe you look for a guy with Buxton's skill set for CF instead of looking for a LH hulk bomber who sucks on defense for RF. That was the thinking behind acquiring Mazara.  Maybe you get off that  strategy , put Robert in RF, and look for a CFer with some power but also speed and defensive prowess.

Robert is also a great CF. Why break something that isn't broke? He's currently ranked 2nd in DRS for all qualified CF behind Kiermaier. Robert is not a problem, and should not be moved from CF until he is in his 30's and loses a step. The Sox can go out and get a RF.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Robert is also a great CF. Why break something that isn't broke? He's currently ranked 2nd in DRS for all qualified CF behind Kiermaier. Robert is not a problem, and should not be moved from CF until he is in his 30's and loses a step. The Sox can go out and get a RF.

The Sox can go out and get a CFer as well.  It depends if you want more athleticism and speed or more home run power. Right now I want to see Engel in CF and Robert in RF. Try it for a few games. The players might like it. Robert could use his arm in RF a lot more than he does from CF. Engel doesn't even look the part of a RFer. Central casting and all that.

• Thanks 1