Do you keep playing EE or Mazara?

periphery831

Is this an either or question?  Because I'd like to say No to both of them at this time.  They both kept coming up in crucial situations yesterday to really put a spotlight on them...until the Man of Steal saved the day.  

Keep Eloy in LF but not late in the game when trying to preserve a lead.  Baseballs have a tendency to find guys who were not removed for defensive purposes as in last night.

• Like 1

Eloy is the LF for the foreseeable future.  Just have to hope he spends the offseason working on his reads and routes. 

RR probably keeps trotting out EE & Mazara and putting them in spots they don't belong.  They probably have too much respect for Encarnacion's career to DFA or phantom IL him today, but at minimum Collins should be on the active roster so both regular catchers can play every day down the stretch.  Mazara is a lost cause at this point, and Engel isn't better vs Righties so sadly he won't be dumped either.  Just have to hope for a little more Engel and a little less suck from Mazara. 

• Like 2

EE has looked awful lately but he does have 8 home runs in 133 PAs this year so at least there is some hope he might go deep.

Mazara has 111 PAs with 0 homers.  You cannot keep trotting him out there when he was brought in to be a power bat, not a guy who might get an oppo single after a battling at bat.

Edited by wegner
  • Like 1

Looking to 2021, Vaughn, Eloy and Abreu should rotate LF, 1B and DH.

Get Vaughn some LF time in the offseason and Spring and see if he's not a circus show at it like Eloy.

I think at this point of this season, however, they should just stay the course.

Chemistry-wise, it's working.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, knightni said:

Looking to 2021, Vaughn, Eloy and Abreu should rotate LF, 1B and DH.

Get Vaughn some LF time in the offseason and Spring and see if he's not a circus show at it like Eloy.

I think at this point of this season, however, they should just stay the course.

Chemistry-wise, it's working.

This. 

It gets a lot easier next year if you bring in a real RF this offseason.

As for this season, I’m totally good with Mazara being used sparingly at this point. Guy just flat out sucks. Fine with them using EE Mostly as they have been, but I’d DH Abreu, play Grandal at 1B and catch McCann a little more than they have been (tho certainly not everyday).

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I am fine keeping in EE for 60% of the games.. However, with that said he needs to bat 7th.  Mazara should be replaced by Engel primarily immediately.

this. Use our catcher combo more, take advantage of hot engel, drop EE when he does. If he catches fire, reap the rewards.

But it just seems very unlikely we'd catch fire from Mazara.

• Like 2

I would keep playing Mazara against righties, as there is an outside chance he gets hot, not really the case with Engel. I hate both catchers being in the game at the same time, especially when one is DHing, so I'm probably still playing Edwin. 

These games ultimately don't matter, so may as well see if you get those guys going.

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mqr said:

I would keep playing Mazara against righties, as there is an outside chance he gets hot, not really the case with Engel. I hate both catchers being in the game at the same time, especially when one is DHing, so I'm probably still playing Edwin. 

If they're both in the lineup, it's been Grandal at 1B with McCann behind the plate ever since Collins got sent down.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am not going to get back into that debate again, which is why I avoided it.

Are people not treating it as a legit injury? 

IIRC Hahn said that Mazara had it during his presser Saturday. 

If so, they might bring him back. 

I just hope this bat speed issue for both guys isn't permanent, because if it is they have bigger health problems to deal with beyond baseball. 

I think that people should be prepared for them to bring back Mazara next year if he indeed had Covid. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

This. 

It gets a lot easier next year if you bring in a real RF this offseason.

As for this season, I’m totally good with Mazara being used sparingly at this point. Guy just flat out sucks. Fine with them using EE Mostly as they have been, but I’d DH Abreu, play Grandal at 1B and catch McCann a little more than they have been (tho certainly not everyday).

If you bring up Collins, for either of these two garbage acquisitions, you can rotate Grandal (95% playing time), Abreu (95% playing time) and McCann (60% playing time), eliminating the need to play Parrot. 

The Sox play Engel more, or even Dyson, in place of Mazara.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

57 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Why is it ok to keep trotting EE out there? I don’t understand why this is ok just because we’re winning 

Mostly agree but there is a non zero chance Edwin gets hot over the last two weeks here.  He's not Mazara, who has like 1000+ PA of suck recently.  In fact as recently as last year Edwin was pretty damn good.  That said, there's zero reason to keep auto starting him, against RHP I'd rather see most nights Grandal at DH, Jose at 1st and James at catcher.  If they lose the DH or some shit on some freak injury to McCann well, we got bigger problems than losing the DH that night.