Do you keep playing EE or Mazara?

periphery831

1 minute ago, knightni said:

I'd still be hesitant continuing the McCann at catcher/Grandal at DH.

You're going to end up with an injury and no back up catcher without losing the DH spot.

Perhaps Grandal could relieve Abreu at 1B occasionally.

Playing them both makes the most sense IMO.  Using Grandal at 1B helps.

I'm sure both players will always be battling injuries we are not made privy to.  I don't see any real potential of both having some kind of serious or season-ending injury because of additional playing time.  They are both everyday players as it is.

I do think Collins needs to come up.  We need the extra C and if he could get some ABs it could help prepare him for the playoffs.  I really don't think Mazara is going to be worth a roster spot on the playoff club if he isn't getting regular ABs, and there's no longer a reason to give him regular ABs, so preparing Collins for some LH PH opportunities isn't a bad idea IMO.

7 hours ago, tray said:

Thank you ChiSox59. I found the article with the comments from Menechino you mentioned.

MENECHINO:

“I haven’t figured that out. He’s in between mechanics sometimes. He’s in between approach sometimes. There has to be some kind of pressing going on in there. Sometimes he’s in an advantage count and gets fast to the ball.

“We have a team that’s hitting really good, and we have a team that’s scoring a lot of runs. So maybe sometimes guys just say, ‘Hey, let me just do whatever I can to help the team win.' Not focus personally on their goals and stuff. ... He does his work. He does everything really good in the cage. He prepares. He’s doing everything he can do. And that’s all I can ask.”

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/frank-menechino-on-2020-playoff-preparation

I hadn't seen the second part of this quote yet.  This is telling me that there is something extra going on, and not just a work ethic or not being willing to listen to coaching kind of thing.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I hadn't seen the second part of this quote yet.  This is telling me that there is something extra going on, and not just a work ethic or not being willing to listen to coaching kind of thing.

Yeah, I think you're right. I think he extra sucks at baseball, and should be DFA'ed after the season.

8 hours ago, knightni said:

You're going to end up with an injury and no back up catcher without losing the DH spot.

I agree. Grandal/Abreu 1B/DH when McCann catches, McCann can DH sparingly, but others beyond Parrot can rotate in the DH spot as well.

The split should be based on pitcher, with Grandal starting for Keuchel, Cease and the #5 (though would keep Stiever with McCann if brought back), and Giolito and Dunning paired with McCann. Regardless if whether McCann is coming back next year, no sense to break something working now in anticipation. Theoretically, there will be a regular spring training to sort things out, and a new backup if James doesn't return that Giolito and or Dunning may prefer next year. It's clear these pitchers like working with McCann, and the ERA reflects it.

No sense catching Grandal 120-140 games ever, he should always catch 3 starters (90 games) and start at DH/1B another 50-60 games, to keep his legs and bat fresh. I don't care if the backup hits .100-.150, hitting is the least important aspect of a catcher in terms of importance vs. everything else they bring to the table.

11 hours ago, knightni said:

That is a good argument. Maybe using grandal/mccann at 1b and Jose at DH (like today) is really the safer option as that gives you the opportunity to put the other catcher at catcher in case the starting catcher gets injured.

On the other hand you could also just take the risk. I mean catchers do get hurt but still how common is that? One in 30 games that your catcher needs to leave the game? Really worst that can happen is you lose the game and that is a chance you can take.