Time to pull out the Ray Rayner White Sox/Cubs Helmet

South Side Hit Men

23 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Still not sure you’re getting the irony he identified in your post.  And by the way, the reason it’s not a big deal to “put down another group” (🙄) in this context is *because* it’s just sports, which doesn’t really matter, as you point out.  The guy with the sticker doesn’t actually want to pee on everyone who likes the Cubs.  Normal Cub fans don’t feel denigrated as human beings when they see the sticker.  They are all just messing around and engaging in the time-honored tradition of trash talk about a meaningless pastime — engaging in harmless tribalism precisely because the stakes are so low.  You, on the other hand, have actually passed real judgment on the character of a whole group of people based on their t-shirts.

Also, a ten-paragraph double post is probably not the ideal vehicle for accusing others of being “blowhards”, but I digress.

1) The irony in  his post is that he accused me of putting thought into the statements I make when I choose to wear clothing or (perhaps) apply decals to my vehicles which serve as public statements, because I make them on public property.  I'm a blowhard for putting thought into the statements I want to make in public but he's not a blowhard because he didn't think at all and chose thoughtlessly.  Right.

2) How do you know what "normal fans think" when they are just people you don't know passing you on the road or seeing you in the grocery store, etc.?  You don't know what they think.  But if they are Cub fans for example, if you wear a shirt that says "Cubs Suck" they are going to be far more likely to think something bad about you, or think bad about other Sox fans, or think that you do not like them or their family, etc. than if you were just wearing a shirt that says "Go Sox."

3) Yes I pass judgement on others based upon what they choose to say and do in public.  The entire point of wearing a shirt with meaning or applying some decal is for other people to see it.  The perceived "need" to denigrate or attack another group on anything is one sign of a blowhard, and also, the general total lacking of forethought behind a statement that is intended to be public is also a sign of an idiot.

4) For these reasons, I assume most likely that people who act this way are more likely than not, and probably are, blowhards and idiots.

I've seen people walking around Menards before wearing a shirt that I think is a band shirt but says "Fuck you" in big letters on the back of it.  When I see people like this, they are just exhibiting exaggerated versions of the same kind of behavior.  I choose to say nothing because I assume that (1) they are extremely stupid and prone to error; (2) have no capacity to think before they act; and (3) probably have little or no money, little if any property, and few reasons other than perhaps alcohol or a child support check to even get out of the bed in the morning.  So I decide that I will just ignore them for my own benefit but not because I "don't care" about what they are doing.

I could go on, but I am not going to.

Edited by YourWhatHurts

11 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

1) The irony in  his post is that he accused me of putting thought into the statements I make when I choose to wear clothing or (perhaps) apply decals to my vehicles which serve as public statements, because I make them on public property.  I'm a blowhard for putting thought into the statements I want to make in public but he's not a blowhard because he didn't think at all and chose thoughtlessly.  Right.

2) How do you know what "normal fans think" when they are just people you don't know passing you on the road or seeing you in the grocery store, etc.?  You don't know what they think.  But if they are Cub fans for example, if you wear a shirt that says "Cubs Suck" they are going to be far more likely to think something bad about you, or think bad about other Sox fans, or think that you do not like them or their family, etc. than if you were just wearing a shirt that says "Go Sox."

3) Yes I pass judgement on others based upon what they choose to say and do in public.  The entire point of wearing a shirt with meaning or applying some decal is for other people to see it.  The perceived "need" to denigrate or attack another group on anything is one sign of a blowhard, and also, the general total lacking of forethought behind a statement that is intended to be public is also a sign of an idiot.

4) For these reasons, I assume most likely that people who act this way are more likely than not, and probably are, blowhards and idiots.

I've seen people walking around Menards before wearing a shirt that I think is a band shirt but says "Fuck you" in big letters on the back of it.  When I see people like this, they are just exhibiting exaggerated versions of the same kind of behavior.  I choose to say nothing because I assume that (1) they are extremely stupid and prone to error; (2) have no capacity to think before they act; and (3) probably have little or no money, little if any property, and few reasons other than perhaps alcohol or a child support check to even get out of the bed in the morning.  So I decide that I will just ignore them for my own benefit but not because I "don't care" about what they are doing.

I could go on, but I am not going to.

Your car is public property? Damn, you might want to look into that. I think you're being ripped off! 

Dude, it's just a game. Saying the Cubs suck is just in good fun; if someone reads that shirt and gets deeply offended maybe they can attend their local therapists office and figure out why they're so mentally weak.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

I am not a fan of the cubs by any means.  If you however cant figure out that anyone who plays the Twins or Indians at this point is our ally for that series then you are a bit dense.  Stop being a meatball.  I dont like the cubs, but I absolutely hate the teams in our division.  Fuck the twins and fuck the indians.  Both of those teams are standing in our way of winning a division.  The cubs the last time I checked are not in our division.  So they go on ignore for most of the year.  Their fans are swarmy fucks who have no clue.  I however was happy last night to see that the cubs didnt choke and beat the indians one more time.  The only thing that I dont want to see is the Indians as the 8 seed due to their pitching staff.  Thats is about the only thing that gives me pause. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

BTW I think it's fine to hate the Cubs, but making an effort to tell everyone about it all the time is putting you in blowhard territory.

And the rivalry is great.  Playing the Cubs always kind of feels a bit like the playoffs in the middle of the season, for both teams, and I think all of the players love it and almost all of the fans love it. 

I would not at all be surprised if the Sox and Cubs are in the same division in 2022.  If the DH comes to the NL in the new CBA, there really is no reason at all to keep an AL and NL anymore.  Might as well do a realignment.  I would actually bet that is how it will work out.  The owners will want more playoff revenue and expanded playoffs, etc., and will also probably want to cash in better on natural rivalry games.

I would love for this to happen. That would be so much fun. Of course there are plenty of wimps around here that would hate it because they hate losing to the Cubs more than they like beating the Cubs, which speaks exactly to your point. 

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

I am not a fan of the cubs by any means.  If you however cant figure out that anyone who plays the Twins or Indians at this point is our ally for that series then you are a bit dense.  Stop being a meatball.  I dont like the cubs, but I absolutely hate the teams in our division.  Fuck the twins and fuck the indians.  Both of those teams are standing in our way of winning a division.  The cubs the last time I checked are not in our division.  So they go on ignore for most of the year.  Their fans are swarmy fucks who have no clue.  I however was happy last night to see that the cubs didnt choke and beat the indians one more time.  The only thing that I dont want to see is the Indians as the 8 seed due to their pitching staff.  Thats is about the only thing that gives me pause. 

Right, and for now, go Royals and Tigers also, because as long as they are not playing us, we want them to, if nothing else, win meaningless games to lower their draft position.

3 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

The irony was in your post, not his.  And I’ll agree with you about one thing:  sometimes you can tell a lot about a person based on what they choose to say in a public forum.  That is all—I hope trafficking with the unlanded throngs doesn’t cause you too much fright today.

I don't like living in a society of such disrespect.  People like you just ignore it or contribute to it and laugh.  I take exception.  I'd rather there be more people who would act in opposition to it rather than in concert with it.

That said, I hope the next time you get gas someone pulls up next to you with the windows open and blares the exact kind of music you dislike most, because they can, and they have the right to act disrespectfully if they want to, and nobody can tell them what to do.  

26 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I don't like living in a society of such disrespect.  People like you just ignore it or contribute to it and laugh.  I take exception.  I'd rather there be more people who would act in opposition to it rather than in concert with it.

That said, I hope the next time you get gas someone pulls up next to you with the windows open and blares the exact kind of music you dislike most, because they can, and they have the right to act disrespectfully if they want to, and nobody can tell them what to do.  

Wait, playing music loudly in your own car is disrespectful? 

Guy, you got a stick so far up your ass you're growing leaves out of your head. Worry less about what other people are doing and what they enjoy and more about your own self.

13 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Wait, playing music loudly in your own car is disrespectful? 

Guy, you got a stick so far up your ass you're growing leaves out of your head. Worry less about what other people are doing and what they enjoy and more about your own self.

Gee, is blaring your music at the gas station disrespectful?

Yes it is, you shovel-headed prick.  That's why almost everybody else  you ever see getting gas does not do it.

Let's just ignore each other from now on.  You're too stupid to understand context or your own density, and too careless to make any alterations.  I'm done talking to you about anything.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Gee, is blaring your music at the gas station disrespectful?

Yes it is, you shovel-headed prick.  That's why almost everybody else  you ever see getting gas does not do it.

Let's just ignore each other from now on.  You're too stupid to understand context or your own density, and too careless to make any alterations.  I'm done talking to you about anything.  

No, I just don't spend one second of my day worrying about the decisions people make regarding their tastes and enjoyments. Loud music at a gas station is hurting literally no one, and if it offends you that's a personal problem that you should deal with.... personally. Me? I don't feel the need to force the way I view and enjoy the world onto others because it's none of my business and they're free to enjoy their life as they wish. What a concept!

I understand context just fine, thanks for being concerned. 

Amazing that you can throw names around and personal insults but you want to tell everyone else what is right and wrong.

On 9/15/2020 at 11:05 AM, South Side Hit Men said:

uBM6OJ4.jpg

For all you youngsters out there, Ray Rayner was the morning cartoon show host on WGN in the 1970s and 1980s. He would provide White Sox and Cubs highlights at one point in his show, and flip his half White Sox half Cubs hat / helmet (he is wearing the dual hat in the video) to present the respective highlight.

This was pre-meatball/meathead days, when you could have a favorite home team, but not hate the team across town. I'll be rooting for the White Sox and Cubs the next three days, hope most of you can join me.

Go White Sox, beat the Piranhas!

Go Cubs, beat the Injuns!

2 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

KCBallersNameTheMascot.png