Jonathan Stiever Discussion Thread

YourWhatHurts

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I haven’t studied the pitching rotation to see how to lineup up Gio and Keuchel for the playoffs, but maybe they’re going to go with a 6 man rotation to close out the season to help facilitate that. 

With ReyLo and JS still on the active roster, appears they’ll both make a start this weekend. Otherwise what’s the point of holding them up?

I'm still of the mind that Stiever may be an option for the bullpen in the playoffs. I know I know that's tough to fathom after 1 appearance but let's see if he gets another start or some relief appearances and find out . Cishek, Reylo, Cordero ,Detwiler, Gio G. and  Rodon,  who hasn't given you anything yet, should not be locks for a playoff roster spot but the taxi squad is 12 men for the playoffs so Stiever could have a spot on that too.

The only thing that gives me pause is I don't know the rules about how you can bring a player from the Taxi squad onto the playoff roster.

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm still of the mind that Stiever may be an option for the bullpen in the playoffs. I know I know that's tough to fathom after 1 appearance but let's see if he gets another start or some relief appearances and find out . Cishek, Reylo, Cordero ,Detwiler, Gio G. and  Rodon,  who hasn't given you anything yet, should not be locks for a playoff roster spot but the taxi squad is 12 men for the playoffs so Stiever could have a spot on that too.

The only thing that gives me pause is I don't know the rules about how you can bring a player from the Taxi squad onto the playoff roster.

If they make it to the ALCS, I'm leaning toward him being a starter.

Just now, ptatc said:

I only saw the first inning, but did he really show that much in the innings that followed to be thrown into that role?  If so, that’s great for not only this year but for the future.  From the little I saw, he would be behind Lopez.

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

That's a huge leap even if he gets another start where he pitches well. Even if he started and went 6 shutout innings I'd still hestitate him starting a playoff game. However I'd definitely take his command as a reliever in a playoff game then.

16 minutes ago, fathom said:

I only saw the first inning, but did he really show that much in the innings that followed to be thrown into that role?  If so, that’s great for not only this year but for the future.  From the little I saw, he would be behind Lopez.

If he shows the control of the last couple of innings, I'm more likely to lean this way. I think he retired the last 9 he faced. The timid, I have no idea where the ball is going Lopez scares me against playoff teams. It is by no means a slam dunk but I would be biased toward the better control.

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

If he shows the control of the last couple of innings, I'm more likely to lean this way. I think he retired the last 9 he faced. The timid, I have no idea where the ball is going Lopez scares me against playoff teams. It is by no means a slam dunk but I would be biased toward the better control.

Only 4 SP start in the playoffs. Ours are locked this year.

1. Giolito

2. Keuchel

3.  Cease

4. Dunning

2 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Could Stiever potentially come out of the bullpen during the playoffs?

Yes but it depends on how fast the Sox think they have a true read on him and choosing him over guys like Reylo, Cordero and Cishek,  his other RHP competition for a playoff roster spot.

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

Dunning, Heuer, and Stiever all in one year.....  Plus the kid in CF.  And two FA acquisitions in Yas and Keuchel.  Wow.

Big wow.

And don't forget Matt Foster -- kid is a bulldog, a pitcher, knows how to pitch with stuff that plays-up for consistently uncomforable at-bats.

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, I'm a big proponent of this. 

When I was growing up, kids played multiple sports. Kids feel so much pressure today to play year round because they're scared they'll miss reps or being noticed. It's awful. When I was growing up I played with Kipnis and Bowden. Both guys played football and didn't play baseball year round. I think Kip was an all-state receiver, but I could be wrong on that. That shit helps

I think it helps big time as well; you use other muscles and you allow your baseball body to heal a bit while strengthening the core around it. 

My favorite thing about Stiever is he played two sports - really well too - and he has grown into his pitchers body. He's really exciting because his arm doesn't have the drain and his velocity could continue to grow. Look at DeGrom for another example of a guy who came into velocity as a pro. Corey Kluber another guy who grew into his stuff. Those two went to freakin' STetson for god sakes.

imo this is 100% on the parents. Living in Georgia it's unreal the pressure parents put on their kids for baseball and football especially. My boy is 6 and loves throwing and hitting but has no desire to play ball yet. totally fine. I am not spending every waking minute and hour of free time pushing him to be something he doesn't care to be at this point. If he becomes a natural athlete and starts really picking a lane or two eventually it's his choice and his raw talent would rise anyways (If he even has talent). Youth sports and parental pushing for year round stress on 8-14 year olds especially is GROSS imo. I like your HS theories a lot. Maximum velocity and curveballs for 13-17 year olds is child abuse. 

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Yeah. I was really happy we got to see Stiever on Sunday and liked what I saw. I just don't know that there is enough time for me to trust him with a playoff performance yet.

Which is a totally fair take.  Stiever's next start is a big one.  The options after him don't exactly inspire confidence.