Sox bar

Capital G

30 minutes ago, Capital G said:

sorry for the random post. Delete away after I get some suggestions.

I'm in Chicago for only the second time ever. What's a good bar to go to and watch a game with fellow sox fans?

Watched them clinch PO spot yesterday and I literally was the only sox fan there. All cubs peeps.

This is a good question. I've only heard of one place over the years but I forgot where it was. Of course it was somewhere on the south side.

2 hours ago, Capital G said:

I'm in Chicago for only the second time ever. What's a good bar to go to and watch a game with fellow sox fans?

Watched them clinch PO spot yesterday and I literally was the only sox fan there. All cubs peeps.

Cork and Kerry and Turtles are the bars right by the park. If you're by Halsted near the park, Mitchell's is another I've gone too post games, but there's several options along the way over there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Capital G said:

Where are you staying in the city?

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I was under the impression that bars weren't really open, is that no longer true?

I don't think you can sit at the actual bar. You can sit at tables with some moderate distancing.

You aren't going to find many "white sox" bars unless you go to the south side. I would advise just finding a bar/restaurant that isn't a big Cubs establishment. Most places will turn the white sox game on. Let us know what are you are staying in and we can give some recommendations.

Halligans will have the white sox on, but it can get pretty collegey. Not sure if it will be like that during covid, though. Divey Irish bar. I love the place. Actually saw Jon Lester there before. Kincade's is also a personal favorite of mine. Another divey sports bar. 

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin

Turtles has been great for weekend home games (or games in general really). They were originally closing down the street for Home games but have stopped doing that because of the alderman. This should be a permanent thing even when crowds come back. Great neighborhood feel that the Grate lacks. I hope they do it again for the playoffs. Its still a great spot and they bring all the tvs outdoors so you can watch from there at a table. Sunday afternoon game will be a good time there

Cork and Kerry was closed due to covid violations but believe its back open

Western Ave is the Sox hot spot but if youre tourist doubt you're going that far south 

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

52 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I was under the impression that bars weren't really open, is that no longer true?

If bars don't serve food, they are supposed to be closed - that's the last I heard.  Not sure if that ever really went into effect though/or how well its being enforced.

Edited by SouthWallace

14 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

They should set up a “drive-in” in the parking lots with large screens showing the games if we make a deep playoff run. 

Now that would be a cool idea.  They have all of the empty parking lots.  Set them up for like every other spot and let people go to town.

57 minutes ago, y2chae said:

Anything outside of the sports bars in Bridgeport, you won't find a specific Sox bar.  Turtle's is probably the best bet right now. 

Any bar that's not specifically a Wrigleyville Cubs bar will put on the game for you though.  

I would say that McNallys and other bars on Western Ave in Beverly/Morgan Park would disagree with you there. ;)

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Now that would be a cool idea.  They have all of the empty parking lots.  Set them up for like every other spot and let people go to town.

24 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Email Brooks Boyer for me, he never returns my emails.

Outside the south side, there arent any specific sox bars.  Even in Lakeview and Lincoln Park though, you'll find the Sox on at any sports bar and there are still plenty of sox fans around there.  I was in Wrigleyville for the Sox-Cubs series and the bar we were at was nearly 50-50.

10 hours ago, Capital G said:

McCuddy's or Jimbo's.

Oh, you mean this millennium/century. Puffers or Schaller's. .

Oh, you mean now.

• Skylark has a food license and remains open, though no TVs make this a post game favorite.
  • Marz Brewing, closest to the park of my favorite options (about 1 1/2 miles west of the stadium down 35th , over the river and then south on Iron Street. Limited to outdoor seating in COVID world, also a pre/post game spot, though when things return to normal can watch all games there on a big screen. Free pinball/video games as well, and good food. A hidden gem.
  • Lagunitas - Further from the park in Douglas Park, not a place to watch the game, but several good beers on tap. Also closed to COVID.

Don't have any White Sox specific Bucktown locations, beyond the bartenders always putting on the Sox game at Goose Island Brewery when requested, reservations required due to COVID.

10 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Went to a concert at Toyota Park over Labor Day weekend just like that. You had the space for your car, and the one next to it for lawn chairs, tables, whatever. It was great, and it would be fantastic for the Sox playoff run. 

17 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I'm pretty sure some concerts for bands are being conducted like drive in movies. So something like that but Sox provide a huge screen to watch and you listen to the radio broadcast in your car  if setting up audio is too big a deal.

I know if I own a drive in movie theater I'd be looking for extra revenue setting it up for all Bears games and as many White Sox and Cubs playoff games as possible. Just do advance ticket sales until sold out.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside