Kopech update

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Further, he is not being paid an MLB salary nor accruing service time. The White Sox essentially get back the time he missed in the 2019 season due to injury. Why anyone would still be holding a grudge over this the day after the White Sox clinch a playoff spot for the first time in 12 years is beyond me.

I just was reminded how awesome a function the ignore list provides.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Further, he is not being paid an MLB salary nor accruing service time. The White Sox essentially get back the time he missed in the 2019 season due to injury. Why anyone would still be holding a grudge over this the day after the White Sox clinch a playoff spot for the first time in 12 years is beyond me.

Because some people believe that baseball players are only there for their entertainment and not actual human beings.  

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Not trying to bash him but he should have been ramped up to that already and should be maintaining until next spring

Honestly we have zero idea of what he is doing, what level of fitness he is at, and how they are preparing him, so we shouldn't really worry about where he is at

Wish him well like I’d wish any 24 yr old that I don’t know personally, well. Hope he’s back in Arizona next February happy and healthy.

That said, if the Sox win a championship, rings go to the players that were at summer camp and hung out in Schaumburg for 3 months. Kopech is not part of the 2020 White Sox, so let it go and focus on the players that are currently 33-17 and about to go to the playoffs. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Fact check:  Yup, he did quit on the team.  Regular people don't get to take a year off of work because they're getting divorced.

My company gives ten weeks paid Paternity leave, which is longer than the current season.

We also have paid family medical leave, and short term and long term paid disability leave. I don't even have to give my boss or employees a single detail. Mental health issues are covered, and a year is quite common.

Also, feel free to perfect an in demand skill that only a handful of people in the world can do, And see what kind of options you have.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Quin said:

Well, I'll take the L here.

She's still in a vulnerable situation were I'd imagine Kopech would not want to heighten his chances of passing her COVID. 

Kopech made his choice and he did it early enough where I don't think it is accurate to say he "quit" on the team.  Opting out was his choice like every other players' before the restart.

I still think the kid needs some good advice in his life but he doesn't owe us fans anything.  He does owe it to himself to get hid mind right and imo he has maturing to do as a person.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, shakes said:

My company gives ten weeks paid Paternity leave, which is longer than the current season.

We also have paid family medical leave, and short term and long term paid disability leave. I don't even have to give my boss or employees a single detail. Mental health issues are covered, and a year is quite common.

Also, feel free to perfect an in demand skill that only a handful of people in the world can do, And see what kind of options you have.

Drop the mic.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

She's still in a vulnerable situation were I'd imagine Kopech would not want to heighten his chances of passing her COVID. 

Kopech made his choice and he did it early enough where I don't think it is accurate to say he "quit" on the team.  Opting out was his choice like every other players' before the restart.

I still think the kid needs some good advice in his life but he doesn't owe us fans anything.  He does owe it to himself to get hid mind right and imo he has maturing to do as a person.

Preach.

21 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Not trying to bash him but he should have been ramped up to that already and should be maintaining until next spring

No. He would need time off. He shouldn't maintain that level until the Spring. He should just be doing his conditioning and shoulder strengthening exercises as well as working in his pitches as it says. Hes doing the right stuff in the absence of games.

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think this says it pretty well. I never liked the hype around Kopech. He was treated as if he was the team savior when he hadn't pitched an inning of major league ball. Hopefully he will be healthy mentally and physically when he does return. However, from the baseball side, there has to be a concern that he has missed two seasons. Regardless, he is still a rookie. Expectations should not be too high. No more hype. Let him learn to be a major league pitcher.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Oh I'm just taking the L on saying he has a newborn.

He still has a child on the way, which is a legitimate reason for opting out, divorce or no.

19 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

This needs to be read again by some.

4 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

Anywho from a sheer baseball stand point, I honestly still believe he's going to be the best pitcher of the bunch(yes, even Gio).  Hopefully I'm right, if I'm not, this post never happened.

I don't think there is any question that he has the best pure stuff and ceiling in the organization, and before he was hurt, he was quickly narrowing the gap between ceiling and ability.  I think Kopech might actually be the most interesting story of this off season.  If the free agent market isn't what the Sox want, could this be a guy the Sox sacrifices with guys like Stiever, Dunning, and Cease seemingly moving ahead of him for this time being? 

• Like 2