Garrett Crochet Called Up

DirtySox

3 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Just saw that.  Which is good.  Besides, September 15th was the cut off.  So this is like a September call up to get his feet wet.  Interesting.

If Marshall can't pitch, I would think Crochet could replace him, though I wouldn't want that

10 minutes ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

Oh damn this is awesome. Part of me thinks Marshall is fine and this is a subtle way to get him rest and for Ricky not to use him for a week to prep for the playoffs

Baseball isn't an easy sport, especially for pitchers.  You see them talk about an acceptable amount of aches and pains on a regular basis.  My guess is this is a way of letting him get rid of some aches that he would normally pitch through, but with a playoff spot clinched they are getting him as ready as possible for the playoffs.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Baseball isn't an easy sport, especially for pitchers.  You see them talk about an acceptable amount of aches and pains on a regular basis.  My guess is this is a way of letting him get rid of some aches that he would normally pitch through, but with a playoff spot clinched they are getting him as ready as possible for the playoffs.

Really interesting they are calling up Crochet. I do wonder if this means Bummer/Rodon are not likely to return this season.

17 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Does this mean Bummer and Rodon are not coming back for the playoffs?  Really don't understand giving Crochet a 40 man spot otherwise.

Rodon can come off the IL today, Bummer not until the 22nd.  I would assume Rodon isn't ready yet and they expect to need Lopez in the rotation to align for the post season.  Not many other options, but I kinda like going Crochet as a win now move.

Edited by SouthWallace

Regarding Bummer and Rodon:

Hahn said both are possible to return on the road trip, they just need to clear a couple of 'hurdles'. Bummer seems to be closer as he is in Cincy with the team already.

Regarding postseason eligibility for Crochet:

Can anyone say for sure what the ruling is here? I imagine he is definitely eligible or else the Sox wouldn't have made this move. 

Just now, KrankinSox said:

Regarding Bummer and Rodon:

Hahn said both are possible to return on the road trip, they just need to clear a couple of 'hurdles'. Bummer seems to be closer as he is in Cincy with the team already.

Regarding postseason eligibility for Crochet:

Can anyone say for sure what the ruling is here? I imagine he is definitely eligible or else the Sox wouldn't have made this move. 

This is the relevant section from MLB.com:

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/postseason-roster-rules-eligibility#:~:text=Players must be on a,is eligible for the postseason.

The answer, I believe, is yes because he was with the organization on 8/31 and on the 60 man.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• bmags unpinned this topic