Garrett Crochet Called Up

DirtySox

Just now, KrankinSox said:

Regarding Bummer and Rodon:

Hahn said both are possible to return on the road trip, they just need to clear a couple of 'hurdles'. Bummer seems to be closer as he is in Cincy with the team already.

Regarding postseason eligibility for Crochet:

Can anyone say for sure what the ruling is here? I imagine he is definitely eligible or else the Sox wouldn't have made this move. 

Obviously I hope Rodon is healthy for himself but for the Sox, Bummer is the much more important piece for the playoff run.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’m bad at this, but with starting his service time now, does that mean Sox get 6 years instead of 7

I presume next year he'll be back in the minors working things out and thus you probably aren't messing with his clock much at all? Now if he comes up and lights thinks up like K-Rod - that is a different conversation. Risk here from a service time manipulation perspective would be if he were to get hurt (kind of like Kopech where we lost a full season of eligibility while he was on the DL).  

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’m bad at this, but with starting his service time now, does that mean Sox get 6 years instead of 7

It'll have no impact on his service time, he'll only accrue like 9 days of service, considering he's still going to be a starter long term the Sox will hold him down plenty to get the extra year of control, all it will require is a few weeks.

The only thing it does is force them to start using his options next year so he'll run out sooner than if they hadn't called him up this year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

It'll have no impact on his service time, he'll only accrue like 9 days of service, considering he's still going to be a starter long term the Sox will hold him down plenty to get the extra year of control, all it will require is a few weeks.

The only thing it does is force them to start using his options next year so he'll run out sooner than if they hadn't called him up this year.

2020 Service time x2.8 = 28 days .  It's not an issue cuz he is easy to stash in AA/AAA to keep refining/stretching him out.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yes.  A typical season  consists of 172 days.  If you are on the roster 162 of 172 days, you have a "year" of service.  if you have 161 or less, you don't have a year.  Since we are starting counting today, assuming he is on the roster all year next year, he will end up with something like a year and 10 days, so we would need to keep him down 11 days, plus the amount of days he serves this year times 2.7 to adjust for 2020 service time, to get him under the magic number key up a "year" of service.

Of course that assumes a normal season next year FWIW.

• Thanks 1

Wow.  Did not expect him to be the next man up, but definitely excited to see him pitch.  Bad news on Marshall, though.  I'm weary of any shoulder injuries, but hopefully Hahn is being truthful when he says he expects to have him back by the Cubs series.

Edited by dasox24

• bmags unpinned this topic