Garrett Crochet Called Up

DirtySox

22 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

It'll have no impact on his service time, he'll only accrue like 9 days of service, considering he's still going to be a starter long term the Sox will hold him down plenty to get the extra year of control, all it will require is a few weeks.

The only thing it does is force them to start using his options next year so he'll run out sooner than if they hadn't called him up this year.

Unless something awful happens, the expectation that he will need his options is probably unneeded.

26 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

It'll have no impact on his service time, he'll only accrue like 9 days of service, considering he's still going to be a starter long term the Sox will hold him down plenty to get the extra year of control, all it will require is a few weeks.

The only thing it does is force them to start using his options next year so he'll run out sooner than if they hadn't called him up this year.

yeah. Doesn't affect service time much unless he gets hurt.

38 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

Which means he must of looked really good in Schaumburg to warrant this call-up.  You don’t otherwise start burning options when you’ve got 40 man roster problems to begin with.

• Like 1

Have been critical of Hahn in general, including worrying about 2027 having Biggie Smalls Madrigal playing video games to start the season in Schaumburg, but like the use of internal resources with the Stiever and Crotchet callups.

Kudos to Hahn for recognizing the moment and preparing for possibilities, be it closing out the season and or having standbys on hand for the postseason.

Props also for all of the under the radar picks and development of said pitchers such as Matt Foster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

LOVE this. Makes me wonder though...Why didn't they call up Vaughn 3 weeks ago then also? if you are gonna go for it....GO FOR IT!

Don't need another 1B nearly as much as they need competent LHP from the pen.  Hahn said as much according to some twitter reports I read.  Just too many people in front of Vaughn right now, which is a great problem.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

Dylan Cease hasn't exactly locked in his future if you ask me. 

oh he isn't in my 2021 rotation for long. 

Giolito
Bauer
DK
Dunning
Cease until Kopech is ready. Now Crochet could push this even more. 

And 2022 looks WAY different.

Giolito
Bauer (if he chooses to stay)
Kopech
DK
Dunning/Crochet 

I see no place for Cease on this team other than a major injury. He is trade FUEL. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

oh he isn't in my 2021 rotation for long. 

Giolito
Bauer
DK
Dunning
Cease until Kopech is ready. Now Crochet could push this even more. 

And 2022 looks WAY different.

Giolito
Bauer (if he chooses to stay)
Kopech
DK
Dunning/Crochet 

I see no place for Cease on this team other than a major injury. He is trade FUEL. 

This is the whole reason that they probably won't sign an SP next year. They have Giolito, Keuchal, Dunning, Kopech, Cease, Stiever (you forgot him) and Crochet as you just said. Why spend their capital here?

Edited by ptatc

Just now, ptatc said:

This is the whole reason that they probably won't sign an SP next year. They have Giolito, Keuchal, Dunning, Kopech, Cease, Stiever (you forgot him) and Crochet as you just said. Why spend their capital here?

the team payroll is way too low to justify not going for 1 year deals on Bauer. with him they literally are the best team in MLB in 2021, no question. That is the beauty with him. I think this new wave though has definitely pushed the Stroman's and #3 or 4 types out completely, agreed there. 

• bmags unpinned this topic