Garrett Crochet Called Up

DirtySox

Just now, ptatc said:

This is the whole reason that they won't sign an SP next year. They have Giolito, Keuchal, Dunning, Kopech, Cease, Stiever (you forgot him) and Crochet as you just said. Why spend their capital here?

Lopez is waving as he has put himself back in the team photo this week......they need to take a flyer on Rodon in some capacity and then as we really squint Alec Hanson and the high schoolers can explode.

I have no issue with grabbing Bauer or Quintana either.

Just now, Harry Chappas said:

Lopez is waving as he has put himself back in the team photo this week......they need to take a flyer on Rodon in some capacity and then as we really squint Alec Hanson and the high schoolers can explode.

I have no issue with grabbing Bauer or Quintana either.

Very true.

4 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

the team payroll is way too low to justify not going for 1 year deals on Bauer. with him they literally are the best team in MLB in 2021, no question. That is the beauty with him. I think this new wave though has definitely pushed the Stroman's and #3 or 4 types out completely, agreed there. 

Just because the payroll is not a good reason. If Bauer truly does a one year deal it may be worth it. Although I still like what the Sox have.

Just now, Harry Chappas said:

As do I.....if Burger can rise like Phoenix so can Alec

I just want to see his facial expressions and emphatically call him Pitch Face with every possible chance.

Really don’t see a place for the Burger even if he gets himself rehabbed and on track.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Just because the payroll is not a good reason. If Bauer truly does a one year deal it may be worth it. Although I still like what the Sox have.

I do for 2022. But depending how this postseason goes (I think they will be a starter short), Bauer is TOP priority for the team. I would rather have Bauer and Engel over unproven young starter and FA RF. the hitting is stacked already and will be better next year with Moncada back, Robert better and Vaughn. 

18 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This is the whole reason that they probably won't sign an SP next year. They have Giolito, Keuchal, Dunning, Kopech, Cease, Stiever (you forgot him) and Crochet as you just said. Why spend their capital here?

That's a whole lot of unproven outside of the top 2.  Unless you can find a stud rf in free agency(you can't), you absolutely use your capital to bring in Bauer and let the youngins fight it out for the final 2 spots because that's the only place to use your resources.  If you have an abundance of young staring pitching then you can use 1 or 2 to bring in a long term solution for rf.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

If you have an abundance of young staring pitching then you can use 1 or 2 to bring in a long term solution for rf.

Fully expect us to be very active in trade talks this offseason.

A one year option on both would really put us in a position for 2022 free agents like:

Outfield: Michael Conforto, Tommy Pham

Starting pitchers: Noah Syndergaard, Max Scherzer, Zack Greinke, Mike Foltynewicz

Edited by hi8is

33 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

That's a whole lot of unproven outside of the top 2.  Unless you can find a stud rf in free agency(you can't), you absolutely use your capital to bring in Bauer and let the youngins fight it out for the final 2 spots because that's the only place to use your resources.  If you have an abundance of young staring pitching then you can use 1 or 2 to bring in a long term solution for rf.

I wouldn’t mind Odorizzi this year 

51 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I do for 2022. But depending how this postseason goes (I think they will be a starter short), Bauer is TOP priority for the team. I would rather have Bauer and Engel over unproven young starter and FA RF. the hitting is stacked already and will be better next year with Moncada back, Robert better and Vaughn. 

Vaild point. i just think the other way unless it is truly a one year deal for Bauer or a short term deal for someone like Q who can readily move to the pen.

• Like 1

Just now, pcq said:

I would suggest the young starters will allow  the mainstays to regroup and align for the playoffs. The Sox will prevail in Round One. 

The 4 game set against Cleveland coming up will give us more insight, as the last series did. 

So far so good and there’s no reason not to have a lot of hope!

44 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

I go with the young, unproven guys as the seem MLB ready and need to learn at the MLB level. Unless it is truly a one year deal as stated before. Long term FA pitcher deals aren't worth the trouble when they have young controlled starters. It would turn into a Mazara situation, the vet gets the starts because the team acquired him not that he would necessarily be better.

45 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Fully expect us to be very active in trade talks this offseason.

A one year option on both would really put us in a position for 2022 free agents like:

Outfield: Michael Conforto, Tommy Pham

Starting pitchers: Noah Syndergaard, Max Scherzer, Zack Greinke, Mike Foltynewicz

This is the other option. Trade for a accomplished cost controlled starter.

• bmags unpinned this topic