Garrett Crochet Called Up

DirtySox

16 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Would be curious to hear what @ptatc thinks about the bend in his right knee after he releases the ball? Is that normal?

He's a soft lander.  It's not a red flag but some teams may consider it a yellow flag.  It's not a deal breaker.  Would like to see him land a little firmer but if it works in the delivery it's fine.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Would be curious to hear what @ptatc thinks about the bend in his right knee after he releases the ball? Is that normal?

Not a big deal especially for a guy with his height. Pitchers used to be taught to keep the knee flexed that way like Tom seaver. Nolan Ryan was more like the way crochet throws. Mostly today they like to teach posting up with the leg and crochet does get there after the flex in the knee. I dont imagine too many people will have issues with it since he does finish off with the post and spin in the Mike Marshall philosophy. 

From an injury stan point there is a lot less stress going through to leg, pelvis and spine with the muscle of the knee absorbing some of the force.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Real talk...but can Crotchet be a Hader type reliever pretty quickly?  If so, we’re winning the fucking Series this year.

I would prefer he be more the Chris Sale type than the Josh Hader type, but yea, a Hader-guy for the playoffs who can cover 2 innings every other game works for me.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I cant believe he can generate that much velocity while short arming his mechanics like that. He never straightens out his elbow past 90. It cant be easy on the shoulder but it hides the ball really well until he almost releases it. To the hitters it has to look even faster than the 101. If he can throw his slider for strikes he could be unhittable. I dont know how he would generate the spin though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He's a soft lander.  It's not a red flag but some teams may consider it a yellow flag.  It's not a deal breaker.  Would like to see him land a little firmer but if it works in the delivery it's fine.  

23 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Not a big deal especially for a guy with his height. Pitchers used to be taught to keep the knee flexed that way like Tom seaver. Nolan Ryan was more like the way crochet throws. Mostly today they like to teach posting up with the leg and crochet does get there after the flex in the knee. I dont imagine too many people will have issues with it since he does finish off with the post and spin in the Mike Marshall philosophy. 

From an injury stan point there is a lot less stress going through to leg, pelvis and spine with the muscle of the knee absorbing some of the force.

Thanks!

As a newer guy around here, @ptatc do you have some sort of big pitching/coaching experience? Appreciate ur input here on Crochet just curious why you were asked for.

I think i finally figured out that "Ron" is the dude with Blago in his picture but I may be totally off base there.

Edited by DoUEvenShift
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

As a newer guy around here, @ptatc do you have some sort of big pitching/coaching experience? Appreciate ur input here on Crochet just curious why you were asked for.

I think i finally figured out that "Ron" is the dude with Blago in his picture but I may be totally off base there.

Athletic trainer with pro sports experience

28 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

I'm a physical therapist and athletic trainer. I've worked with athletes for 30 years. Worked in MLB, NFL and a couple of Olympic teams and at the training center in Colorado Springs. Most of my research has been with pitchers, runners and most recently triathletes. I try to answer injury type questions as best I can from experience with similar injuries. Its somewhat subjective without knowing all of the information first (most of the time) hand.

On a side note the ptatc name is short for having both the physical therapist and athletic trainer licenses. I went to register for the fan duel sports book app today and would you believe it was taken? The nerve of some people.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

You've got it mixed up. Ptatc = Ron. I'm the guy who's the physical therapist

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I would prefer he be more the Chris Sale type than the Josh Hader type, but yea, a Hader-guy for the playoffs who can cover 2 innings every other game works for me.

Yeah, I just mean for this year.  Suddenly you’re looking at a playoff bullpen with Colome, Marshall, Heuer, Foster, & Cordero from the right side and Bummer, Crotchet, Rodon, Fry, & Detwiler from the left side.  That’s actually pretty fucking sick.

• bmags unpinned this topic