Garrett Crochet Called Up

DirtySox

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah, I just mean for this year.  Suddenly you’re looking at a playoff bullpen with Colome, Marshall, Heuer, Foster, & Cordero from the right side and Bummer, Crotchet, Rodon, Fry, & Detwiler from the left side.  That’s actually pretty fucking sick.

I was hoping Stiever would impress in his 2nd start but he was lit up like a Christmas tree.

Very impressive debut for Crochet. Have to see more for sure to deem him playoff ready.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I was hoping Stiever would impress in his 2nd start but he was lit up like a Christmas tree.

Very impressive debut for Crochet. Have to see more for sure to deem him playoff ready.

Stiever definitely out of the playoff equation.  I’m sure you’re right about Crotchet, but damn did he vault himself into the list.

Crochet may provide the bullpen what  many of us hoped we might have gotten from Kopech  - a late inning flame thrower.  This season only seems to get more interesting as we move along...a season that a lot of fans thought was a waste of time to even ponder just a few months ago.

Who among us  isn't enjoying this season now ?  I just feel grateful to the players and everyone involved for making this season happen whether we come away with a pennant or WS or not.

• Like 2

One thing Crochet and the Sox have to be weary of is him tipping his pitches. I noticed on the last out... the ground out, he sped up his delivery to throw the slider. MLB hitters will scout that and make him pay if he continues to do it. Hopefully Cooper and company show him the video there.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I just hope they leave him alone and don't "optimize his delivery mechanics". Sox don't really have a good track record in changing mechanics, for every giolito there are several fulmers.

The Sox rarely change anyone's mechanics. It long been their philosphy to not change anything unless an issue arises. Chris Sale is the prime example.

Crochet does have that violent short arm flip that will increase stress on the shoulder and leaves the elbow in a vulnerable position for the whole motion.

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah, I just mean for this year.  Suddenly you’re looking at a playoff bullpen with Colome, Marshall, Heuer, Foster, & Cordero from the right side and Bummer, Crotchet, Rodon, Fry, & Detwiler from the left side.  That’s actually pretty fucking sick.

dude.

At that point minimal starting pitching is needed. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The Sox rarely change anyone's mechanics. It long been their philosphy to not change anything unless an issue arises. Chris Sale is the prime example.

Crochet does have that violent short arm flip that will increase stress on the shoulder and leaves the elbow in a vulnerable position for the whole motion.

Didn't they try to change sale initially and quickly walked back from that?

Went back and rewatched the inning. His spin on the ball is excellent...the movement is passable, but not elite. But the with the 101, movement doesn't matter. His catchers are going to need to try hard to not make his sequences the same. His 2nd pitch of the inning was an 85 mph changeup...Not sure how often he will throw that, but it could be devastating if he mixes that in occasionally. I am glad they brought him up. He has a 4-5 year window before that arm falls off. Interesting to see what the 2021 plans are if he dominates the playoffs. 

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, nubeerski said:

how did crochet fall to 11th in the draft. highway robbery. he's the aaron judge of pitchers.

It was a really deep draft and a short spring season so teams didn't get as good a look at players as they would like so they were much more risk averse.  Credit the Sox (Kenny Williams) for their testicular fortitude.  They said hell with it we're taking the player with the highest ceiling.  

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, ptatc said:

As an amateur using my naked lens scan I don't see quite as much torque on the elbow as Sale. Maybe they can measure that? 

7 minutes ago, pcq said:

As an amateur using my naked lens scan I don't see quite as much torque on the elbow as Sale. Maybe they can measure that? 

He looked like he was throwing the ball effortlessly . More looked like a Randy Johnson with a higher leg kick rather than Chris Sale. 

• bmags unpinned this topic