Bummer and Rodon return, Detwiler and Not going to Cishek anymore DFAd

Kalapse

I think it's fine to cut bait on Detwiler before the bottom drops out. There's nothing very impressive about his history or overall body of work, the only reason he has an acceptable ERA/FIP this season is because his HR/9 is less than half what it was in 2019. The Sox obv. didn't view that as sustainable.

Fry has been fine, he's just walked too many. Ruiz should be the next to go, since he also has never really been impressive in any way. Please be healthy, Evan.

Just now, daggins said:

I think it's fine to cut bait on Detwiler before the bottom drops out. There's nothing very impressive about his history or overall body of work, the only reason he has an acceptable ERA/FIP this season is because his HR/9 is less than half what it was in 2019. The Sox obv. didn't view that as sustainable.

Fry has been fine, he's just walked too many. Ruiz should be the next to go, since he also has never really been impressive in any way. Please be healthy, Evan.

Considering how many more times they should have used Detwiler this season, there should have been ample opportunity to see if it could be more sustainable. But alas, for some reason he's the one guy RR won't give innings to even when he should be in.

• Like 1

Just now, maloney.adam said:

Why?

The post above yours pretty much answers it.  There is also the fact that Detwiler is a FA in 4 days and Fry is controlled through 2023.  Fry is nothing special, but he's a solid middle reliever.  You don't punt a guy like that to keep Detwiler around for 1 more appearance before he leaves for FA.  Had Detwiler stayed, he's, at best, the 4th left handed option out of the pen behind Bummer, Crochet and Rodon, so like...yeah, he didn't really have a role on this team anymore.  

12 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The post above yours pretty much answers it.  There is also the fact that Detwiler is a FA in 4 days and Fry is controlled through 2023.  Fry is nothing special, but he's a solid middle reliever.  You don't punt a guy like that to keep Detwiler around for 1 more appearance before he leaves for FA.  Had Detwiler stayed, he's, at best, the 4th left handed option out of the pen behind Bummer, Crochet and Rodon, so like...yeah, he didn't really have a role on this team anymore.  

Yeah I had deleted my post because I saw the post above mine. I guess that makes sense considering they had to choose between lefties and he was unfortunately the odd man out due to his situation. 

Edited by maloney.adam

Yeah, I like Ross, but his WHIP over his last three appearances has been almost 3.00.  And it's not like that is abnormal for him. He hasn't had a WHIP under 1.5 for a season since 2014.

Not exactly sure what Rodon's role will be. But there's more potential there than with Detwiler.

Too bad Cishek didn't work out. Hope Bummer and Marshall are good to go quickly.

This is exactly what I meant when I said yesterday that I dint think one person on this board could predict the BP for the playoffs.

I had to get that in yesterday because I knew a move or 2 was due on Bummer and Rodon. Now it gets a little easier with Cishek and Detwiler gone . Once Marshall returns we are good to go .

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Have to disagree with you on the third option (Rodon), he has appeared twice this entire season, as a starter, and shown nothing.

I don’t care how many times he struck out Nicky Delmonico in Schaumburg, he serves no purpose in the playoffs, in a relief role.

If this is just to give him one or two regular season appearances, I’m fine with it. We all saw what happens the past two days when you put a pitcher in a role and situation he has never faced before in meaningful ballgames.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Have to disagree with you on the third option, he has appeared twice this entire season, as a starter, and shown nothing.

I don’t care how many times he struck out Nicky Delmonico in Schaumburg, he serves no purpose in the playoffs, in a relief role.

If this is just to give him one or two regular season appearances, I’m fine with it.

If you are talking about Rodon, there is zero chance they cut someone else from the roster to not use him in the playoffs.  That doesn't even make any sense.

2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Have to disagree with you on the third option (Rodon), he has appeared twice this entire season, as a starter, and shown nothing.

If this is just to give him one or two regular season appearances, I’m fine with it.

Rodon has above average stuff.  If he's healthy, he'll be a very effective reliever.  Being healthy is the kicker.  

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Rodon has above average stuff.  If he's healthy, he'll be a very effective reliever.  Being healthy is the kicker.  

I know he hasn't exactly been healthy over this time period, but starting in April 2019 his average fastball dropped below league average and it dropped further during his brief outings this year. If that's all injury, then it's a little weird they were even pitching him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I know he hasn't exactly been healthy over this time period, but starting in April 2019 his average fastball dropped below league average and it dropped further during his brief outings this year. If that's all injury, then it's a little weird they were even pitching him.

Eh, in the bullpen he can throw more than mostly sliders. Hitters still can’t hit it. Main concern with him is strikes

1 hour ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

So Rodon is relegated to the pen, right?  Surely Ricky won't have him starting game 3 because he's a vet, right?  Please?  Right?

I actually think Rodon can keep this carrer going coming out of the pen. Similar to what happens to Andrew miller

1 minute ago, JoshPR said:

I actually think Rodon can keep this carrer going coming out of the pen. Similar to what happens to Andrew miller

I think he's closer to a Drew Pomeranz type. I don't think he'll throw harder than 92-93 even out of the pen. 

Bizarre that Detweiler is given the boot.   Why on earth didn’t Ricky give him more opportunities this season?   Even when he was shutting teams down he barely pitched.  We would have at least had a better handle on how good he truly is.  A couple shaky starts recently doesn’t mean much.  

I could see the case for Fry over him.  And Ruiz might be gone soon regardless.  But I choose Russ over Gio 100%.  And I have a feeling Detweiler would have been better out of the pen in the postseason over Rodon.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If you are talking about Rodon, there is zero chance they cut someone else from the roster to not use him in the playoffs.  That doesn't even make any sense.

Wrong. What makes no sense is putting a pitcher hurt all season, who has three relief appearances five years ago as his lone bullpen experience, to shove him out there because Hahn did absolutely nothing at the trade deadline, on the most meaningful games since the 2000s.

• Haha 1

Just now, jamesdiego said:

Bizarre that Detweiler is given the boot.   Why on earth didn’t Ricky give him more opportunities this season?   Even when he was shutting teams down he barely pitched.  We would have at least had a better handle on how good he truly is.  A couple shaky starts recently doesn’t mean much.  

I could see the case for Fry over him.  And Ruiz might be gone soon regardless.  But I choose Russ over Gio 100%.  And I have a feeling Detweiler would have been better out of the pen in the postseason over Rodon.  

I agree he should have gotten more run when he was pitching well. But when he did get higher leverage outings, he didn't pitch well at all. Albeit that was after he pitched maybe once a week during the middle of the season. 

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Wrong. What makes no sense is putting a pitcher hurt all season, who has three relief appearances five years ago as his lone bullpen experience, to shove him out there because Hahn did absolutely nothing at the trade deadline, on the most meaningful games since the 2000s.

You can preach all you like, but Carlos Rodon was placed on the active roster and someone was designated for assignment to make room for him.  It might hurt your feelings, but they didn't do that to NOT put him on the playoff roster, or to carry a dead roster spot.  They would have never put him on the active roster if the plan was to not use him in the playoffs.  Carlos Rodon WILL pitch in the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You can preach all you like, but Carlos Rodon was placed on the active roster and someone was designated for assignment to make room for him.  It might hurt your feelings, but they didn't do that to NOT put him on the playoff roster, or to carry a dead roster spot.  They would have never put him on the active roster if the plan was to not use him in the playoffs.  Carlos Rodon WILL pitch in the playoffs.

Nothing to do with “feelings”. this is the throw shit on the wall and hope something sticks that Sox fans have come to expect since 1980.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Haha 1